The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old May 8, 2005, 03:55 PM   #51
big daddy 9mm

this is awesome!!!

THis is my first gun talk thing I have been on and I am impressed! This is harlious
cow pies, candles. I noticed that the mlk jug literaly does exsplode if you make sure that there is NO air in it. MIlk jug+20gauge=fun. oranges are really fun too. hollow point 22's make them accualy exsplode. stacking cans is fun too. If anyone has shot a tree point blank range with a 12 gauge, please let me know the result. this may sound stupid but if you get about 4 decks of cards and rubber band them together real tight and then shoot it with a 9mm. the result it quite amusing. I think when god made the world that he also made 22 mags.
one time me and (a equaly stupid) friend were alone at my house so we thought it would be fun to shoot my parents pond since it was frozen over. it was very entertaining. zing! our closest neighbor was a .25 mile away so...
Old May 8, 2005, 03:58 PM   #52
big daddy 9mm

P.s.

I agree the holiday pepsi sucked butt. It tastes like cardboard.
Old May 8, 2005, 04:12 PM   #53
UT_Air_Assault

I've seen a fellow light a small propane tank with white gas, than shoot it with a .223 at night. It makes quite a show.
I'm curious what a 5 gallon one would do......................
Old May 13, 2005, 11:59 AM   #54
20cows

Quote:
I've seen a fellow light a small propane tank with white gas, than shoot it with a .223 at night. It makes quite a show.
I'm curious what a 5 gallon one would do....
I bet you could see the resulting grass fire from space!
Old June 1, 2005, 09:33 AM   #55
Igloodude

Old computers. I'm looking at the platter of a hard drive that is sitting on my desk right now with .45 holes in it - it is somewhat surprising how tough that platter is. Its presence makes my servers run better.

A couple weeks ago I went to an IPDA-style training session at an indoor range, and one of the scenarios they had was a regular cardboard head/body shape attached to the target clip with 12" of duct tape. The target had a front and a back, and they'd start the target out at 30ft away, and bring it toward the line. You could start shooting when it was 20ft away, and shots to the back weren't allowed. Made for a VERY interesting challenge, fluttering toward you.
Old June 1, 2005, 11:00 AM   #56
Smokey Joe

Stuff to shoot

Used the "Humans are 70% water so think of this when you think of shooting someone," lesson myself back when I was a Hunter Safety Instructor. At that time ditto fluid came in 1-gallon metal cans. (Remember ditto machines?? This was a while back!) We'd fill a couple of these and shoot 'em with a deer-hunting level cartridge--The cans just exploded and the students were suitably impressed.

Found out the hard way that shooting a metal can at 50 yd. with a metal-pointed round doesn't help the lesson any--the bullet punched right through, making a .30 cal. entrance hole and a .30 cal. exit hole, and disturbing the can and water not very much. Quick thinking saved the day, though--I took a wire cutter, snipped the nose off one of the bullets to expose the lead core, loaded up and shot the same can again. With the soft lead exposed, the bullet "did its thing" nicely and the lesson was saved. BTW, the fact that the can was only partially full by then had no bearing; it still exploded. ALWAYS policed the ruined cans afterward.

Cowpies--ooh, cowpies! Went shooting to the in-laws' farm back when they were dairying, once in the winter. Put up a cardboard box 200 yd away to hold targets--Now, what do we steady the box with?? Hey, how 'bout a couple of these frozen cow pies? They worked fine as weights. Until we shot a little low, and hit the pies--the frozen s*** flew like shrapnel! Box was just peppered all over, all 5 sides. Talk about energy transfer!

--Smokey Joe
Old June 1, 2005, 04:11 PM   #57
Lycanthrope

PLASTIC aspirin bottles filled with blackpowder make nice "poofs" at 100 yards. Not an explosion, just a poofy smokecloud and a small flash.
Old June 2, 2005, 10:37 PM   #58
Dave Haven

I was talking about this thread to a friend at work today. He suggested animal crackers. Hey, they're shaped like animals; and birds and varmints will clean up the mess. Or Cheezits or wheat thins (or the store-brand imitation).

Some have mentioned cow pies. I shot a frozen one once. Gives a whole new meaning to "shootin' the <excrement>"...

Some have mentioned Tannerite exploding targets. I just bought a case of Tannerite targets - haven't had a chance to test them yet, but I'm sure they'll live up to their reputation. How about wrapping smaller charges of Tannerite in aluminum foil or putting it in 35mm film cans to make it last longer? Don't see why it wouldn't work...

I've shot a 1# can of FFG black powder with my .50BMG. Made a big WHUMP and an orange flash and a cloud of smoke.

As others have mentioned, ice is a great target.

One of my favorites for high powered rifles is rocks. You're not littering or destroying anything. You're just creating smaller rocks.
Old June 2, 2005, 10:52 PM   #59
Smokey Joe

Awwww, ya beat me out on that one!!

Dave Haven--Darn ya! You beat me to a great punch line, that about "shooting the <excrement>!"

That never occurred to us at the time, darn it. And It never occurred to me in relating the incident, double darn it.

--Smokey Joe
Old June 3, 2005, 02:10 PM   #60
CarbineCaleb

Pedophile priests! There seems to be an endless supply I think a light rifle would be spectacular. They could have self-adhesive targets applied to their robes as sighting aids, and you could feel good because you're cleaning up the environment.
Old June 3, 2005, 08:24 PM   #61
Dave Haven

Re: Awwww, ya beat me out on that one!!

Smokey Joe, there's always next time.
Old June 5, 2005, 09:42 AM   #62
zzirg

ballons with baby powder in them shot at 50 yards gives a nice little poof of powder, also i like to put up a deck of cards and play shooting poker best hand out of five.iron pots and pans are fun to especially with a slower round gives off a nice clanking sound. watch out for bowling pins they ricochet a freind of mine got a 45 ricochet to the leg, he said it stung like hell but he was ok.
Old June 13, 2005, 07:08 PM   #63
steelersfan0000

Your old halloween pumkins filled with water.
Old June 17, 2005, 09:05 AM   #64
darkeye

We used to take trash bags - fill them with propane gas, and tape them down to a table, with a candle next to it - nice fireball!!!
Old June 17, 2005, 09:21 AM   #65
Lycanthrope

Quote:
We used to take trash bags - fill them with propane gas, and tape them down to a table, with a candle next to it - nice fireball!!!
Somehow, someway I would find a way to blow myself up trying that.
Old June 17, 2005, 01:03 PM   #66
Smokey Joe

Blow myself up, eh?

Hey, Lycanthrope--we're talking big noises, flames, and flying bits of debris here! It's no fun at all unless there is a possibility of being blown up! Well, almost. (I'm thinking of a line from The Mikado : "There is beauty in the bellow of the blast...")

Remember Mom's admonition: It's only funny until someone gets hurt!

And your silent addition as a kid: Yeah--after that, it's hilarious!

Why do you suppose that every year, for the 4th of July, there are more and more restrictions on the types of fireworks allowed, and every year, a few kids of all ages manage to hurt themselves anyhow, and every year, the news media, politicians, and law enforcement go "Tsk, tsk!" about it? Do you think that possibly the media people, politicians, and LEO's enjoyed blowing things up as kids, or not???

--Smokey Joe
Old June 17, 2005, 02:48 PM   #67
artsmom

I spend three hours per week in a traphouse filled with White Flyer biodegradeable clay pigeons, so I have the box labeling memorized:

"These targets will break down and disappear within two years, given adequate rainfall."

The trap range has been in existence since 1938, and I do believe they all break down eventually.

Charcoal briquettes is a very good idea!

Crackers are cheap, and there are various ways to stand them up. Birds and critters will take care of the crumbs.

For those of you who have Microsoft Office on their computers, excellent bullseye targets (color or black and white) can be made using the auto shape feature in Word. Remember to hold down the "Shift" key to make the ellipse a circle or the rectangle a square.
Old June 17, 2005, 05:00 PM   #68
CraZkid

Teddybears from goodwill. There is a special place in hell reserved for my kind .
Old June 17, 2005, 08:21 PM   #69
Pinky Carruthers

We used to buy a case of the crappy Soda they sell at Wal-mart and shoot them with my AR. That was pretty fun, just remember to pick up your trash when you leave.
SOM
Old June 22, 2005, 07:42 PM   #70
kozak6

I know a guy who absolutely swears by gallon jugs full of red jello.
Old July 12, 2005, 10:27 PM   #71
Dave Haven

Update

I finally had a chance to "destructive test" some Tannerite targets last week. I highly recommend them!
Old July 12, 2005, 10:38 PM   #72
stephen426

Cheapest Targets

This might be a little off topic but how about the cheapest targets?

I personally like old clothing catalogs (free) or
1 can of spray paint (usually day-glo orange) and scrap paper.

Can you say CHEAP?!?!?
Old July 13, 2005, 12:11 AM   #73
buffalo_bore

Spray paint and water jugs are for sure fun to shoot, but I love shooting playing cards. Aim at the top-left spade, the jack's head, or try to split it.
I'll tell you, there's nothing like splitting a playing card, Bob Munden-style.
Especially with a .22 revolver.
Old July 18, 2005, 12:12 AM   #74
Buzzard

Gallon jugs of colored water are great at 50 yards shot with a .44 mag.
sure impressed my wife.
old apples are good too and the feed the critters after you are done.
Old July 21, 2005, 09:34 PM   #75
Pyrozen

I have shot many things in the past couple months, some pretty safe, and
others not so safe. I actually found a 5 foot tall nutcracker made out of wood in someones garbage recently. It was missing an arm and stuff so i just took it. Out at the local range i brought it out and started shooting at it. Man did it draw a large crowd. Everyone wanted to take potshots at it and it ended up being obliterated at the end of the day. Definitely humorous seeing an ugly nutcracker blown apart.

I recommend when you are driving down the street on garbage day, picking up whatever seems interesting. I have found computer monitprs, tv's, a nutcracker, pots, pans, little army men, and many other assorted childs toys. All in all it will end up for a very enjoyable day at the range. Just always remember to pick up what you bring out there.