The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old April 30, 2024, 08:35 PM   #26
Mycin

I agree that it sounds like she started out on too much gun for her experience level.

I suggest lots of dry fire practice, then lots of .22 ammo down range.

Don't try to have her feel the "wall" and all that -- just squeeze the trigger until it goes "bang". Less to think about. Also, the "bang" should be a surprise, not something she anticipates.

I like your idea of breaking things up. Drill on proper grip, ignoring trigger technique and sight alignment. Then drill on sight alignment, ignoring grip and trigger. Then drill on trigger, ignoring the other two. Then put two of them together, mix-and-match. Then drill the whole package. Do this dry-fire as much and as often as her attention span will tolerate. Once she seems to have it down, go through it again with a 22, live fire. After a few dozen rounds, if she's doing good, move up to the Glock 19. Only introduce the Hellcat after she's comfortable with the G19.

When (not if, when) it starts to fall apart, start over with dry-fire, focusing on whatever part she's struggling with.
Old April 30, 2024, 08:47 PM   #27
Mycin

One other thing I should have mentioned. The most important ingredient:

Patience. Lots and lots of patience, from both you and your daughter. If you get easily frustrated, you're probably not the right person to be training her. If not, but she does, you need to do all you can to reduce the pressure she puts on herself. Explain the process and that it's going to take time and work.
Old May 6, 2024, 12:38 PM   #28
Recycled bullet

Hello Nathan. I suggest that your daughter read this thread, that she can pick and choose from it however it suits her in her journey of pistol shooting.