The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 29, 2024, 10:13 PM   #26
cdoc42

George, I think you are correct, but just let me add that if I didn't realize there was a 0.032" difference in bullet base-to-ogive, and my seating die was set to seat a 0.538" B-to-O bullet at 0.02" jump, my next bullet, perhaps being 0.570 B-to-O, would change the jump.
That is not the same procedure as seating everything to "overall length" (case base to bullet tip) but the net effect would certainly be as you described.
Old April 29, 2024, 10:32 PM   #27
tangolima

This one is tricky. The seating stem "mouth" has certain diameter, and its position in the press is fixed. The variations in b to o doesn't necessarily imply the same variation in bullet jump per se. It should be less than b to o variations, I think.

Anyway the step size I use for tuning seating depth is 0.003". I probably would like to sort b to o variations to similar order of magnitude.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old April 29, 2024, 11:18 PM   #28
georgehwbush

tangolima; yeah there are a lot of variables involved. some seating die plugs are made with a very sharp cone and some with a dull one. my rcbs 243 seating die only touches about the last .060" of a 107 smk while it contacts about .125" down on a 105 amax just looking at the two bullets you wouldn't think there would be that much difference.

i was speaking in general and not specific. i don't have any rem 130 psp to look at so i can only generalize.
Old April 29, 2024, 11:28 PM   #29
georgehwbush

cdoc42; oddly enough, not every factor will affect things as expected. case in point (pun intended) i loaded a few bullets backwards just to see while firing groups of 10 at 100 yds if i could tell which one it was... first group i couldn't the entire group was .743" and no key-hole. if asked before i tried it, i would have guessed the poi shift would be an inch or more. subsequent group one was a flier.
and seeing that i don't believe in fliers it had to be seated backwards. still only half an inch low from the rest though.

but at longer ranges yes you can tell. without a doubt.