The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 9, 2009, 07:05 PM   #26
cchardwick

Quote:
Out of curiosity when you guys pull guns out of your safe, how often do the barrels point right at your face?
Wow, I can't believe you even asked that question. If I go shooting or hunting with anyone and they point the gun at me I express my concern. The second time it happens I'll never go shooting with them again. I've gone hunting with people that will lean over and put their folded arms and belly on the muzzle of a loaded shotgun, using it as a crutch! And I've been to a range where someone just got done shooting a pistol and turned around and flashed me with it. Some people have no sense at all, it scares the crap out of me.

The only time I point the barrel right at my face is when it's removed from the gun and I'm inspecting the barrel. Even when I load my sidearm that I carry all day I take it outside and point it at the ground to load one in the chamber in case I get a slam fire situation. Then I engage the safety and it stays in my holster until it hits the safe or a target I intend to shoot. Every time I handle a weapon the muzzle only goes in the direction where it will do the least damage.

Rule number one: Treat EVERY gun as if it were loaded!

I believe frequently handling unloaded guns leads to carelessness and major accidents when you finally do handle a loaded firearm. In just about all the accidental discharges that I've heard of most of them involved a person who thought the gun was unloaded.

Last edited by cchardwick; January 9, 2009 at 07:12 PM.
Old January 9, 2009, 11:50 PM   #27
PCJim

Without question, any weapon removed from my safe is done so in a manner that keeps the muzzle pointed away from my body. Rifles are removed canted such that the stock leaves the safe before the front sight, pistols are removed handle first.

I agree with CC - every gun is treated as loaded, unless fully disassembled.
Old January 10, 2009, 09:19 AM   #28
ryalred

I should do that but don't. I store ammo in used military surplus containers in a separate location from the guns.
reloading -- addicted
Old January 12, 2009, 08:51 AM   #29
chriske

Over here, we're under legal obligation to keep them separate & locked up
Old January 12, 2009, 09:21 AM   #30
fbrown333@suddenlink

guns/ammo

Seperate but together. I have too much ammo to keep in the safes with the firearms so I keep it in military ammo cans, sealed and fresh. Each one is labeled and has its own spot on the shelf next to the gun safes.
Old January 12, 2009, 09:38 AM   #31
zxcvbob

I have boxes and cans of ammo all over the place in the basement (I really need to clean that up.) The guns are unlocked and unloaded in a couple of cabinets. One revolver is kept loaded at all times and where I can get to it pretty quick.

I just bought a P3AT, and when I get the belt clip for it I may start carrying it at home just to get used to carrying.
Old January 12, 2009, 10:11 AM   #32
Whisper 300

To cchardwick- all in jest--you are storing only 2000 rounds-get busy man and start reloading and get the numbers back up to where they belong.

2000 rounds is like 10,000 lawyers on the bottom of the ocean--a good start.

Gary
Old January 12, 2009, 06:35 PM   #33
shorthair1

As I don't have the kid question most of mine are kept loaded, in the case of the 1911 in the headboard cocked also.
Old January 13, 2009, 03:38 AM   #34
JackCA

I keep the guns unloaded in the safe with a few clips for the handguns loaded on the shelf next to them. The ammo is in cannisters on top of the safe and the shelves next to it. It is all locked up in a closet that is deadbolted and my wife and I carry the only keys. With the exception of a pound or so of whatever I am currently using, which is generally on my bench, I keep the powder locked in the safe also.

My neighborhood is very safe, so home defense is not really an issue. Although after the kids go off to college and we move, I may keep a loaded weapon handy, depending on where we end up living.
Old January 13, 2009, 10:43 AM   #35
devilfrog

Guns locked up except my Colt, home/self defense ammo is readily available, bulk ammo and reloads are stored in a closet I built that is locked.
Old January 13, 2009, 11:09 AM   #36
Flapjack23

Long guns all unloaded in safe (except .22, its loaded), all ammo in safe with guns. I keep .357 loaded on top shelf of safe (locked all the time). Glock 22 and Kahr PM 40 both loaded in small safe in MBR. I have 3 kids at home and they will all learn to shoot safely but will not have access to safes.
Old January 13, 2009, 12:25 PM   #37
Dr. Strangelove

I store all firearms in a metal security cabinet which remains locked. All unloaded, save a 9mm pistol which has a loaded magazine inserted, but no round in the chamber. Ammunition I don't worry about, it's stacked on top of the cabinet. I also don't worry about securing my reloading bench, I suppose some impoverished criminal could break in with an unloaded weapon, load up some cartridges, and then rob me, but I'll take my chances. "Wait - don't forget to chamfer the case mouth!"

I will say that if I had children or any ever visited, I would also lock up the ammunition, just to keep kids who maybe have access to firearms but not ammunition from being able to shoot unsupervised. (I can remember as a child bringing boxes of .22LR to a friend whose father had inherited some .22 rifles and just stuck them in the closet as he wasn't a gun person.)
Old January 13, 2009, 01:54 PM   #38
luvsasmith

Locked in same place.

All my firearms are locked in a safe. The ammo that can fit in there is also. I keep 3 firearms loaded as when/if the SHTF I do not want to be putting lead in my guns I want to be putting lead in the target.
Old January 13, 2009, 01:59 PM   #39
snuffy

Define "safe community"! There's very little crime in Oshkosh Wi. However, I live ½ mile from a max security prison for the criminally insane. And 1.5 miles from a max security state prison. Then there's the state cuckoo's nest,(state insane asylum), ¾ mile away. Did I mention the prison work release ½ way house? That's ¼ mile away. Yes there's been escapes from several of them in the last 20 years.

Since I live alone and seldom have visitors, I keep at least 2 pistols loaded and chambered, but hidden. One is within reach of my bed, my dog would give me plenty of warning if someone were to try getting in while I was asleep. Another is by the front door, anyone trying to force their way in will have a glock 40 staring at them.

Having loaded guns in a safe is like having a screen door on a submarine. Useless! Imagine this; hold on just a second mister home invader, whilest I get my gun out of the safe!

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old January 13, 2009, 04:52 PM   #40
TheNatureBoy

My guns are safely put away in my house and my ammo in stored in my detached garage.
Old January 13, 2009, 05:22 PM   #41
zxcvbob

Quote:
My guns are safely put away in my house and my ammo in stored in my detached garage.
All (except for a small working stock) of my primers and gunpowder are in locked wooden crates out in the detached garage. All the guns and ammo are in the house.
Old January 13, 2009, 05:51 PM   #42
Starvingboy

Heh, good conversation starter. I'll throw in with most folks, guns locked up, ammo stacked in "My" corner of the bedroom. All guns unloaded except the home defense ones. I do have kids, but thus far it is not an issue. I do plan to educate the young ones as soon as possible.
Old January 14, 2009, 10:06 AM   #43
Num10Ox

Guns save for two are in safe in basement unloaded. Ammo and components (what little I currently have..just starting) are locked up in four large ammo boxes I got when I was buying surplus SA 223.

Carry guns are loaded, but without one in the chamber, and stored in a safe in the bedroom with loaded magazines and ammo. Reasoning for this is that when I do carry, I put a round in the chamber and need to replace the round in the mag.