The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 4, 2001, 12:54 PM   #1
Racegun

Carbon 15 Type 20 Range Report

I'm sure this topic has been covered before but all I've seen is posts on the negative side. I picked up the Type 20 last week and headed to the range for some accessories and test fire just to see what all the fuss was about.

For a sighting system I chose a BSA low power scope with a lighted crosshairs option. I didn't want to add much weight to a lightweight but I needed to see at 100yds. A 30rd mag is supplied with the gun and I had a 5rd Colt to use on the benchrest while sighting in the scope.

The first thing I did was to take the gun apart and lube it thoroughly as it comes bone dry from the factory. I use a home made lube for all my guns consisting of STP oil treatment and Mobile 1 10w30, equal parts of each heated in the micro a bit and stirred to mix thoroughly. Then I paint it on all the parts with a small artist paintbrush. The lube lasts a long time and sure does slick things up.

Finally it was time to see how it shoots. All I have ever heard was how the Carbon 15 jams like crazy but that was not the case with mine. It works beautifully even under rapid firing using the 30rd mag.

Great little lightweight. Nice edition to the collection!

Genie

Williams Gun Repair

Princeton, Texas
Old December 4, 2001, 02:02 PM   #2
Jim Watson

You must've liked that writeup I sent you, then.
I always liked Ray Ordorica's approach.
Old December 4, 2001, 02:16 PM   #3
Racegun

Yes. I read the article, thank you, and just had to find out for myself. There have been so many negative comments on the gun boards about the 15 I was a bit shy of my new purchase. But no more. I do think the trick is to make sure the gun is lubed thoroughly before the first round goes through it even though the instructions claim that it will work dry or with a bit of WD40 sprayed on it. Heavens! I wouldn't use WD40 on any of my guns. Phooey!:barf:

Genie

Williams Gun Repair

Princeton, Texas
Old December 4, 2001, 07:28 PM   #4
johnwill

After two trips back to PO, my Carbon-15 rifle is finally shooting without jamming. FWIW, I talked at length to them about the dry operation, and they assured me that it would be more reliable that way. I lube inside the bolt, but I don't lube the outside of the bolt carrier, and it shoots fine. It still makes me feel funny, seeing as how I really hose down my other AR type rifles, but that's the way they insist it's supposed to work!
Old December 4, 2001, 09:48 PM   #5
Racegun

No lube???

FWIW, I think the folks at PO are cracked. Wonder if they think their cars would run if treated that way. I paint all my guns with lube and the Carbon 15 is no exception. Everything gets the treatment including all of the bolt, trigger assenbly and the inside of the upper even though it is plastic. Not to do so is silly.

Guns, after all, are high speed machines and machines don't do well running dry.

Now, I wonder why some people have problems with the Carbon 15 rifles. Could the jamming problems be from a lack of lube???

Genie

Williams Gun Repair

Princeton, Texas
Old December 5, 2001, 05:56 AM   #6
john1932

Hey Racegun, you posted here a while back and you asked me for my e-mail address so hear it is... [email protected]........... I can except e-mail but I am having trouble sending e-mails out so if you e-mail me then leave your phone number and I will give you a call and maybe we can meet at the range some where in N. Texas and do a little shooting together...... I lube my Carbon 15 type 97 up pretty good after each cleaning. What kind of ammo did you use? and what range did you shoot at? later John
Old December 5, 2001, 11:03 AM   #7
Racegun

Thanks, John. Check your e-mail. I was using some ammo given to the range by some local LEO which had been confiscated. It was a mixed bag of stuff.

I shoot at the Collin County Gun Range, McKinney. You know, the one still engaged in a fight with the McKinney City Council. Take a look at www.ccgunrange.com

Genie

Williams Gun Repair

Princeton, Texas