The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 6, 2010, 08:59 PM   #1
AMSting

Real world CCW experience

I am new to the CCW world, and have a few questions about logistics. I don't have too many concerns while carrying it, but getting in and out of a car, or sitting down in a chair brings some concern.

I am currently using an IWB. I don't want to keep it in the holster while driving, but what is the opinion on how to transfer to the console? It's relatively easy to move out of the holster while in the car, but getting it back in while still sitting is a real problem.

Then there is sitting down in a chair. I can usually keep it covered while sitting, but the transition up or down is a problem.

What about moving from the holster to a coat pocket when I am entering a darkened area, especially if this is the walmart parking lot? Just pull it out and slip it into the coat pocket, or somehow shield it?

Opinions and experiences would be greatly appreciated.
Old January 6, 2010, 09:03 PM   #2
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Personally, I would leave it alone in the holster as much as possible. All that extra administrative handling is when unexpected loud noises occur.

FWIW, you get used to it. I carry a full-size Government Model IWB and routinely make five-hour car trips with it on my hip.
Old January 6, 2010, 09:24 PM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

If you can't comfortably leave it in the holster while driving then you're using the wrong holster, belt, carry position or all of the above. Tamara is right, every time you touch the gun is one more chance for a very embarrassing BOOM! Besides that is the chance of someone seeing you with a gun and calling the police, or not having it in an accessible location should you need it.
Old January 6, 2010, 09:32 PM   #4
pichon

Besides, fiddling with it too much just draws more attention to it. Tamara is right, you get used to it eventually. Try to act as if it wasn't there. Like peetza said, perhaps you need a new holster and or belt.
Old January 6, 2010, 09:48 PM   #5
Jim Downey

Yeah, I'll chime in with everyone else: experience will make it feel "OK". Sure, you'll likely go through some experiments before you finally settle on one or a couple of comfortable carry options, and you'll be sure that everyone in the world is looking at you - but that will pass.

If you spend a lot of time sitting/driving, it may be that you want to change to a cross-draw or some kind of shoulder-holster/vest carry. I have a Coronado vest that I love for that purpose. But to each their own preferred method of carry.

Jim D.
http://www.communionofdreams.com/ Communion of Dreams - my current novel.
Old January 6, 2010, 09:57 PM   #6
Avenger

Carry position is the main thing. I had problems with the seat belt latch position while using an IWB at first, since I like to carry with the holster just behind the point of my hip. I've learned to sort of sweep the holster further around behind me as I sit down, so that it ends up closer to the small of my back by the time my butt hits the seat. Some pants have belt loops that prevent this though.
Standing up is no problem, pulling the holster forward again looks like I'm pulling my britches up!
Old January 6, 2010, 10:13 PM   #7
Glenn E. Meyer

I've driven from Tulsa to San Antonio with a G19. Not a problem. You know you can get a higher rise OWB that conceals well for driving.
Old January 7, 2010, 12:10 AM   #8
chris in va

What state do you live in? Makes a difference.
Old January 7, 2010, 08:11 AM   #9
Bartholomew Roberts

Sounds like a bad holster/belt combination to me. When I first started carrying I used all kinds of "gun show" specials at $35 and my normal belts that were barely a step above sticking it in your pants with no holster at all.

I then moved up to Galco holsters and a normal belt; but thicker. This increased comfort and made the holsters an actual benefit instead of a liability waiting to happen; but the concealment was not what I wanted it to be.

I finally bought a Milt Sparks VMII and belt, and haven't bought anything else since that for IWB use. It is a great rig - stable and comfortable, even when spending 12 hours in a car.
Old January 7, 2010, 10:50 AM   #10
kraigwy

You get use to it. Sometimes TOO use to it. Sometime forgetting its there. Happened to me at the Denver Federal Building security check point. No problem, the FPS lady pointed to a lock box used for such cases.

Sometimes wife forgets it there so besure to retrieve it when you change your britches, my wife almost washed my 642.

I'm not a fan of moving the gun around or taking it out in cars and such. I want it the same place every time.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old January 7, 2010, 12:44 PM   #11
Don P

Quote:
Personally, I would leave it alone in the holster as much as possible. All that extra administrative handling is when unexpected loud noises occur.

FWIW, you get used to it. I carry a full-size Government Model IWB and routinely make five-hour car trips with it on my hip.
+1+1+1 In a nut shell. Nuff said, question answered
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old January 7, 2010, 03:42 PM   #12
igor

I've become very fond of my paddle holster, because it enables me to remove the gun from my person inside the holster with the holster, with the trigger area covered. Administrative handling is at a minimum, especially since the law here is Condition Three only anyway. My carry gun very, very rarely leaves that holster outside the range.

That said, I anally observe the Four Rules even when moving the gun to and from other storage inside its holster.
Good karateka I have known were intelligent, original, capable, unpredictable, aggressive, brave, and dangerous. Most had a dark side. Daily practice for decades at hurting other people does not make liberals.

John Farnam quoting a friend, Feb. 2004
Old January 8, 2010, 07:52 PM   #13
Straightshooter629

This is one of the reasons I don't care for IWB carry (just MHO). I prefer an outside the pants, belt slide holster, carried crossdraw at about the 10:00 position. For me, cross draw is far more comfortable and makes the weapon a lot easier to access from a seated position, whether in my truck or in a restaurant. Plus, because I'm a bigger guy, IWB is just nto comfortable for me.
Old January 8, 2010, 08:23 PM   #14
knight0334

Just leave it in the holster.. ....and buy a hammerless J-frame sized revolver to keep in the jacket pocket. If by chance you have to fire from the pocket, a hammerless will be less likely snag within the pocket, or if you draw from it.

In the winter I keep my Taurus 851 hammerless 38spl in my strong side jacket pocket as a BUG. My main carry piece stays in it's holster.
Old January 8, 2010, 10:22 PM   #15
AMSting

Thanks for all the replies. It looks like I just need to get used to carrying more. I also need to look into the belt/ holster combination.
Old January 8, 2010, 10:48 PM   #16
drail

If you are going to spend a lot of time carrying and being seated in a car look into crossdraw rig. I know a lot of folks don't like them but I spend most of the day driving limos and after trying every rig I own this has been the most comfortable and easiest to access while seated in a car. I actually wear it on a seperate belt just above my trouser belt and it allows me to slide it around from 9 oclock to 11 oclock if necessary with no interference from the belt loops on my pants and is easy to take off if I have to go inside somewhere I cannot legally carry (which hardly ever happens). With almost any kind of jacket or coat it is invisible to the public and keeps the gun securely where I want it.
Old January 8, 2010, 11:07 PM   #17
Nnobby45

I know I'm repeating some things that have already been pointed out, but my replies might re-enforce those "tips".

Quote:
I am currently using an IWB. I don't want to keep it in the holster while driving, but what is the opinion on how to transfer to the console? It's relatively easy to move out of the holster while in the car, but getting it back in while still sitting is a real problem.
Opinions and experiences would be greatly appreciated.
Holstering a weapon isn't a natural talent all folks are born with. Repetition and practice are all that is needed to solve the problem. When sitting down, you have to lean forward to draw or holster. Both easily learned. Learn how to quickly holster your weapon no matter what the circumstances.

Quote:
Then there is sitting down in a chair. I can usually keep it covered while sitting, but the transition up or down is a problem.
Don't know what kind of chair you're talking about, but a regular old dinner chair presents no problem at all. When sliding into a restaurant booth, don't let your gun go "Klunk" on the back rest. There are actually people who could be sitting nearby who know what that means.

Quote:
What about moving from the holster to a coat pocket when I am entering a darkened area, especially if this is the walmart parking lot? Just pull it out and slip it into the coat pocket, or somehow shield it?
Why would your coat be zipped up if you're concerned while in a parking lot or dark area? (as you should be). In cold weather when I'm bundled up, my LCR or S&W J-frame in the coat pocket solves the problem. Winter or not, my coat wouldn't be buttoned under those circumstances if carrying just an IWB. Neither am I without a flashlight.

Last edited by Nnobby45; January 8, 2010 at 11:13 PM.