The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 12, 2001, 08:33 PM   #1
AFARR

Where to get 9mm Caliber Conversion for SIG P229?

It's been a while since I was here, but someone suggested this might be the best place to check (I have to disable my "Ad Subtract" software to see the posts here).

I was going to trade my SIG-Sauer P229 in .40 for a P229 in 9mm, but someone suggested that a Caliber Conversion might be a better way to go.

I have a P228 and several "hi" cap mags, and wanted to keep some commonality of mags.

Can anyone direct me to where I can get the Barrel and any other necessary parts to interchange between .40 and 9mm? (Do I need an extractor and different recoil spring)?

Thanks!!
Old December 12, 2001, 11:41 PM   #2
blades67

You'll need a new barrel, recoil spring and slide for the P229, unless you try using a conversion barrel from an aftermarket vendor and dealing with the unreliable feeding and extraction that goes with it.

I hunt, therefore I am.
Old December 13, 2001, 05:43 AM   #3
Mike516

The only source of 9mm conversion barrels for the P229 is BarSto Precision Machine http://barsto.com
Contact Irv Stone at Bar-Sto; he will confirm that this is a popular conversion and tip you off to any problems which may have been reported to him. Plan to spend about $200.00. Bar-Sto's workmanship is excellent.

I have a 9mm conversion barrel for my P229 and it shoots as reliably as my factory .40 barrel. SIG factory mags marked ".40/.357" also feed 9mm ammo reliably; there is no need to invest in separate mags -- and the .40 mag holds 13 rounds of 9mm.

I know several people who successfully use this conversion, and all of us restrict it to range use only. I would not depend upon a conversion barrel for defensive use; the object for most of us is economical practice. As far as I know all of us use the factory guide rod, recoil spring and slide. I even use my barrel with a Sprinco recoil reducer. You will note that the 9mm cases are not thrown nearly as far as the .40 cases due to the weaker grip of the extractor on the smaller case and the lower power of the 9mm round.

Your P228 mags will probably work OK, but they might be a little sloppy in the mag well of a P229/.40; check it out to be sure they lock in place.

For further info check out http://www.SIGForum.com and use the "search" feature. This is a popular thread on that board, and the contributors are very helpful.