The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old October 28, 2009, 02:28 PM   #1
CAPTAIN MIKE

Lawsuit Protection for Self-Defense Shooting

First, a bit of perspective.

The self-defense shooting is one that all CCW permit holders prepare for but hope never comes. My friend Steve is a police officer, former SWAT member and an outstanding firearms instructor. I am an asset protection attorney by trade, a CCW Instructor by avocation and an outdoorsman, hunter, former military shooter and long-time firearms owner. We both like things that go 'Boom'.

One day while at the range we had a chance to discuss the fact that most tactical training and self-defense training involving firearms almost always answers the question "How To" but few deal with the issue of Now What?? So we co-authored an article about it from the perspective of both an attorney and a law enforcement officer. It's called "After the Shooting Stops: the Legal Aftermath of a Lethal Encounter'.

As both a CCW instructor and a long-time asset protection attorney, I've decided to finish up a book project that's been underway for awhile. The book will focus on Lawsuit Protection for Self-Defense Shooters and will share with readers ways to protect themselves legally before the incident ever occurs. Out of respect to the very valuable service this website offers, I will even offer free live training to any Firing Line members who wish to attend one of my workshops in 2010.

Here's where I need some help. I'm looking for input from other Firing Line members (or others you may know) who ever had to deal with such an incident, either as law enforcement officers or as civilians. I'd like to know what you (or they) went through "afterwards". If you (or your friend) can share their experiences, I'd appreciate it. You can reach me at [email protected] or through my Facebook Account as 'EagleFiveZero'.

Thank You sincerely for your support of our Second Amendment.
PROUD TO BE A VETERAN
Old October 28, 2009, 02:55 PM   #2
win-lose

Captain Mike,
That sounds like a very worthy endeavor. Please keep us apprised of your progress.
Old October 28, 2009, 05:14 PM   #3
Lee Lapin

Captain Mike,

Some nosy librarian type background questions...

Do you have any background in criminal law?

Ever do LFI-1? ( http://www.ayoob.com/lfi1.html )

Ever hear of Skip Gochenour? ( http://www.teddytactical.com/archive...2_StudyDay.htm )

Are you familiar with Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network? ( http://www.armedcitizensnetwork.org/ )

Good luck on the project,

lpl (retired, but still a nosy librarian at heart)

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old October 28, 2009, 05:28 PM   #4
Jim March

File under "don't":

Don't carve one or more notches in your grip while waiting for the cops unless you're REALLY, really sure it was a clean shoot. If the 911 operator asks what you're doing, tell them "old west traditional arts and crafts".