The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

View Poll Results: Taurus Experience
I like Taurus 207 44.04%
I do not like Taurus 64 13.62%
I think its a second rate handgun 126 26.81%
I think its under rated handgun 92 19.57%
Niether like nor dislike, its just part of my collection 36 7.66%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 470. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old June 6, 2008, 06:47 PM   #126
Avenger11

Any gun writer that doesn't conform to the financial realities of the mag who pays him will soon be unemployed!! I wish Taurus would put their $$$$ into building quality firearms and user friendly customer service rather than full page ads in the gun rags.
Old June 7, 2008, 01:18 AM   #127
Qwiks draw

See folks, more "witty repartee". Still have nothing to hang the hat on.

All that can be said and done of substance has been. Might be time for this one to get locked.
Old June 7, 2008, 07:30 AM   #128
Ace_Breaker

Somebody around here needs to self reflect a little more.
Old June 7, 2008, 08:10 AM   #129
BryanP

I have owned three Taurus revolvers.

One has been sold, a 6" Taurus 66 .357 magnum. There was nothing wrong with it and it always functioned perfectly, but it was redundant and I like my GP100 better.

The second is a 4" blue Taurus 94 .22lr. The DA trigger is long and heavy, but it's a nice little .22. Again, I've never had a problem with it. I keep meaning to experiment with lightening the DA trigger, but I never have.

The third is a Taurus 617SS 7-shot .357 magnum snubnose. Sort of like a bulkier SP101. The screw that holds the cylinder yoke assembly backed out on it, but that's not uncommon with small magnums. Taurus sent me a replacement screw, no questions, no charge. Stoked with 38+p it makes a fine nightstand gun.

I have no plans to buy any more Taurus handguns, but that's just because most of my gun itches have been scratched.
Old June 7, 2008, 04:50 PM   #130
bitterhoney

I've owned several Taurus handguns and currently have a 24/7 pro.
They have all been satisfactory and never given me any problems.
Old June 8, 2008, 02:08 PM   #131
Firepower!

+1 Avenger again!
Old June 10, 2008, 06:27 PM   #132
Avenger11

If I wanted an un-biased opinion on a given firearm, I would definitely go to their namesake forum?? NOT!!
This one works very well for me, where you can get a broad range of experience and knowledge, and where one can separate facts from an owner's attempt at justifying a purchase. My primary objective is that buyers are aware that their are so many well made guns out there. Why settle for a Tauras?
Thank you to QD, I'm proud to be a witty "repartee".
Old June 10, 2008, 07:35 PM   #133
Robby

If I wanted an un-biased opinion on a given firearm, I would definitely go to their namesake forum?? NOT!!
This one works very well for me, where you can get a broad range of experience and knowledge, and where one can separate facts from an owner's attempt at justifying a purchase. My primary objective is that buyers are aware that their are so many well made guns out there. Why settle for a Tauras?
Thank you to QD, I'm proud to be a witty "repartee"

You know I also am known as a witty person! I am also known as a Taurus owner. I researched the guns for overall comparison of quality, price, and WHAT I WANTED IN A GUN.

But sometimes you want to make sure they know that their choice is not right, WHY? because they might want to buy a TAURUS!!

Give me a break! I am sure most people are are adults, they can read the reports, good ones, bad ones and the good awful ugly ones and make a decision based on that.

I think it is better to have an inexpensive weapon rather than have no weapon. Not everyone gets the best one each buy, but many do. Some may fail, Taurus, Smith, Rugar and Glocks do fail. Some fix them quickly, some take a little more time. Some only warranty for a year, others for the life of the gun. It is up to the buyers to decide what they want not us behind the screens.
Old June 10, 2008, 09:03 PM   #134
Ace_Breaker

I've been in and around the LE community for most of my life. I also grew up with my parents being in LE. I have yet to see or know any officer, I've known or met, ever wear a Taurus as a primary duty weapon. I'm talking hundreds and hundreds of LE. I've spoken to and trained LE from all around the country. I've never even known anyone to carry one as back up either. I know of zero large departments to approve the carry of any Taurus. Sure, there might be a small town or agency somewhere that might let it slide. I probably opened the floodgates for somebody to respond with something to counter. I'm talking about my personal observations with large departments that have quality weapons and ammunition boards. Most won't let you carry a Taurus. For those who "researched, price shopped, and compared," did you ever talk to a legitimate armorer about the quality and reputation of Taurus before spending well earned money to protect you and yours? Most armorers will absolutely laugh. Did you ever talk to a quality gun shop about them? I'm not talking about the local pawn shop, I'm talking about a quality range/ gun shop with knowledgeable staff. Most will laugh. When my Taurus fell apart on the first trip to the range I was bummed out. I was aware of the reputation, quality, etc., yet I bought cheap despite what I read. I got burned. You buyers are entitled to purchase whatever you want. Yes, I know, some people can't afford an HK. But there are quality firearms in the same price range as Taurus. So I don't buy the idea that you have to settle for 2nd rate quality. This forum is about information exchange to help others. So don't insult, bash, and complain because somebody said something you don't like to hear about your beloved weapon. It seems, more often than not, people just want to argue the truth because they have one or two Taurus that work for them, so have the right to speak on the behalf of all Tauri based on their minimal experiences. I've shot thousands and thousands and thousands of rounds through quality firearms and never even dreamed of the problems like I've had with Taurus. At times I feel it's not even worth posting this information because of the arguments that go on. My concern is that even the bad guys are carrying quality firearms out there these days and I believe that us law abiding citizens should have the ability to even the playing field when it comes to protecting our lives and those we love.
Old June 11, 2008, 08:02 AM   #135
Robby

You know I appreciate the fact that some people do not care for certain products, either from trying them and having a problem telling us what happened and why if they know. I would hope they will post about it as is usually done.

I also have a family member, and many friends who are current or former LE. I know that some departments really do not like certain firearms. I also know some that go to the major manufacturer's and say OK, I need 1200, or 12,000 guns of yours, what can you do for me to encourage me to use your weapons. Will you train my armour's, will you supply me with repair parts, etc and so forth. The one with the best deal of certain spec'd items gets the bid. That is what makes it good for the LEO, and the maker.

I would never encourage anyone to buy the guns I have bought! I would not discourage them either. I will only answer questions about the guns I own, how they have performed, and such as that. I own other guns, (not many), and my friends and family own many types and makes. There have been problems, even with my Taurus guns (well actually only one problem)and it was taken care of so rapidly the only cost I had was driving to the gun shop so it could go back. Yes it was a defective handgun, QC should have caught it, but I know of other makes that problems made it out of the factory.

I am not here to flame your choices, and I wish some did not flame others choices in life and firearms.
Old June 11, 2008, 08:14 AM   #136
Qwiks draw

We Taurus owners also shoot thousands and thousands or rounds through Taurus and other brands as well. Many of the members of the Taurus community come from military,LEO or civilian backgrounds and trust their lives to them. For many decades.

Many are of the LEO variety as well as for civilain use Taurus to protect themsleves and their loved ones and have done so successfully.

We've made the case again and again for the Taurus as a quality item. Only certain others who cannot and will not accept that at any turn. Regardless of the evidence presented.

Taurus guns have been the choice of LEOs and civilains for many decades world wide.

Yet no hard proof of Taurus being totally inferior in any numbers has ever been proven here, anywhere on the internet,or in the real world.

It's trumpeted that way, but never are hard and clear data to show that.

Evidence that Taurus products perform and are considered LEO and civilian material has been presented here at this forum in the links provided. As well as to who was doing the testifying as to Taurus quality for consideration. Professionals and the best in the business. Yet that's not good enough?

I've saved my families lives and mine numerous times with them and had no troubles. Others can say the same. Yet all this is to be ignored?

Taurus is not the RG series of old and even then there have been numerous cases of civilians,aged at that, who did save themselves with the lowly RG series from another company.

Evidence to the contrary in the police and tactical journals proves that criminals are not using high cost guns unless they are stolen. And then not even in greater number than before. This is being written up by the police trainers and officers across the nation.

Granted, more criminala are showing up with AKs and other longarms.

Talk about conciet folks. You've just seen that in that last few posts.
Old June 11, 2008, 10:50 AM   #137
Ace_Breaker

Quote:
Taurus guns have been the choice of LEOs and civilains for many decades world wide
Let me say this one more time. In my experience, personal experience, in training LEO from all around the country. I have yet to know of any LEO to carry a Taurus as a primary weapon. I personally know of zero agencies that have Taurus on a list for approved carry. Why is that, I'm sure you will rationalize something. Maybe they carry them in Brazil.

Quote:
Evidence that Taurus products perform and are considered LEO and civilian material has been presented here at this forum in the links provided. As well as to who was doing the testifying as to Taurus quality for consideration. Professionals and the best in the business. Yet that's not good enough?
Like I said before, I've been around LE for more than 30 years. I've known, know, shot with, talked to, etc., tons of professionals who do not share the same sentiment you are claiming. I've witnessed Taurus quality first hand coupled with all of the information from true professionals and came to my conclusions. I trust the people I know more than some guy on the internet making claims that I consider incorrect.

Quote:
I've saved my families lives and mine numerous times with them and had no troubles
I'm not going to call you a liar, but this sounds like bologna! Who are you, what do you do to come up with all of this experience, and where do you come up with all this stuff? I have been involved in a shooting, so can speak from experience. If I ever get in another it won't be with a Taurus I can guarantee you that!!!

Quote:
Evidence to the contrary in the police and tactical journals proves that criminals are not using high cost guns unless they are stolen.
Again, are most criminals going through a background check and purchasing guns legally, NO! Most are stolen. Many are high cost guns. I'm a professional and speak from actual street experience, are you? I tried to make the point that we need to even the playing field, or be ahead of the game with quality handguns. Yet even that seems to illicit dispute.

Quote:
Talk about conciet folks
Another person with ruffled feathers and baseless information. As you can see in this post it is my observation and experiences. I don't bash the company, just present information. Take it or leave it.

Here are the facts for me that draw me to my conclusion. I gave Taurus a chance and this is what happens: 3 guns, all sent to the factory with repairs needing armorer attention(broken parts). Poor quality, poor customer service, and very poor resale. And you defend this? A clear example of taking information in and not reflecting on others opinions or information. How about "Thanks for the input ACE, I'll consider that when I make my next purchase." It just shows that you'd rather argue than take the information in and put it to use. You are too whitty for me Qwicks draw so I will end this with a hope that this information can be put to good use for another future gun owner.
Old June 11, 2008, 01:55 PM   #138
Jeb

I have owned three Taurus revolvers, including the Model 85 and the 445 (snubbie 44 special). I have also owned their version of the 92. These weapons are underated and are a great bargain.

The 85 has superior sights and cylinder lock up when compaired to the Smith j-frames (and I have two smith j-frames). I also like the fact that the Taurus snubbie revolvers comes in so many different options.

Both of my 92s were plain janes pistols that were both reliable and accurate. They also can be carried cocked and locked, or decocked and carried with the safety on.

Taurus also listens to the gun owners. They issued a one year NRA membership with the purchase of one of their weapons. The created a Glock clone with a 1911 style thumb safety (the 24/7). The created a colt single action clone with a very sweet trigger pull at a reasonable price. Their 1911 is reasonably priced and comes standard with a lot of extras (I have seen several shot at my range and never once have I seen one have a malfunction which is more than I can say for the Springfield 1911 that I have seen). They were the first to use Titanium alloy for their revolvers. They brought back the big bore belly guns, after Charter Arms went out of business.

Taurus has won the gun of the year award several times now - for the 24/7 for the Raging Bull and for the Judge (the 45 colt/410 revolver). The Taurus Tracker line of revolvers make a nice camp gun or hunters companion gun.

The days of being able to bash Taurus are over.
Old June 11, 2008, 02:19 PM   #139
Firepower!

Ace, thank you for the wealth of information. I wont buy another Taurus unless some drasdtic changes.
Old June 11, 2008, 02:28 PM   #140
zxcvbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeb
The days of being able to bash Taurus are over.
Nope. That day will come when they fix their QC and their customer service. (To be fair to Customer Service, they may just be swamped because the Quality Control at the factory is so bad.)

Taurus = Great design + poor execution. If you accidently get a good one, it is probably very good.
Old June 11, 2008, 02:33 PM   #141
ooreach

Location: Earth, American Continent, America, Ohio, Summit County, Near Cleveland
can't talk about customer service, since my 4 taurus haven't given me a problem. pt111 mill pro 2nd gen 9mm. .38 model 85, .357 model 651 "defender" and the 7 shot .357 model 617. never a problem...yet. If I buy more i'm bound to find a lemon, but i've also found 1 lemon about 4 years ago, but it was a Kimber ultra carry II.
I own, taurus, glock, springfield, naa, kel tec, s&w, beretta. So i'm not a big loyalist to "brand." I just don't get that. I'm into getting what I like, if it works 99.9% i might carry it. If it works less then I use it on the range or sell it.
Old June 11, 2008, 02:40 PM   #142
madmag

I have stated before that I own only one Taurus, a PT945. I own multiple of other brands including S&W, Colt, Ruger, & SA. My PT945 has held it's own very well with my other pistols for reliability, however I am convinced that Taurus does have a higher incidence of quality issues than many other brands. My opinion comes form years of observing Taurus performance at the range and shooting friends Taurus's. Also, lots of reading time.

So, I think the truth is somewhere between the two extremes. I don't think Taurus is junk, but they do have more quality issues than they should not have. I do think many of their designs are very good, and if you have a Tauri that works well then it will perform as well as any other gun out there. And there is some Taurus bashing that goes on by people that have a hard time accepting that a lower cost gun can perform as well as their expensive shooter.
Old June 11, 2008, 06:54 PM   #143
Avenger11

How anyone could read all the Taurus threads on this forum and many others, and conclude that they make a consistenly reliable product worthy of a loyal following is inane!
Old June 11, 2008, 09:14 PM   #144
madmag

Avenger, I agree and disagree. I agree that Taurus is not as consistently reliable as they should be, but I am not sure any gun deserves a loyal following. Guns are just mechanical devices. I am afraid that many that bash some lower cost models get the idea that other guns are just about infallible, and that's simply not correct. I have been shooting since circa 1949 and I have seen about any make gun you can mention fail. If anyone convinces themselves that they have the one make or band of gun that is completely reliable, then they are just setting themselves up for a big disappointment. I find that most people that think some guns are very reliable have just not spent a lot of time shooting. You will notice that people that shoot a lot tend not to be the people saying that certain brands of guns are completely reliable.

Now if you pick a 100 Taurus pistols out of box they will probably have more failures than say 100 XD's or similar, but probably neither will have zero failures.

Added: Not to add gas to the fire, but I have always had this uneasy feeling that if you took a pistol like the PT24/7 and improved the quality control...no other changes to design or materials, and then stamped S&W, or XD, Or Glock, Or H&K on the side, it would be received with almost universal praise. But when you get old like me you sometimes have these weird thoughts.

Last edited by madmag; June 11, 2008 at 09:59 PM.
Old June 11, 2008, 11:54 PM   #145
Ace_Breaker

Yeehaw! I finally sold my last Taurus!!! After months of trying to sell, my FFL took pitty on me and took it in trade for a Ruger LCP. I can honestly say that the trade in value was dirt, but I'm free at last!!! I also picked up my Kahr P45 today. I hope it does what I thought the PT145 was going to do. Thanks for all of your opinions, but I think that about wraps up things between me and this thread!
Old June 12, 2008, 12:14 AM   #146
Dave85

Quote:
How anyone could read all the Taurus threads on this forum and many others, and conclude that they make a consistenly reliable product worthy of a loyal following is inane!
I'm not going to argue your conclusion that you have come to in regards to Taurus based on your experience. Your experience, your conclusion. Conversely, though, you can't reasonably expect anyone else to conclude they are universally awful guns based on your reports if they have had three or four with no malfunctions among them. Their experience, their conclusions. To suggest that someone make a conclusion based on internet reports, regardless of the volume of their occurrence, is not reasonable either. By this method of investigation we might conclude that reptilians run the government and the moon landings were faked. Sure there's good information on a lot of things out there, but there is a high volume of garbage too. Bear in mind here, I'm not saying either opinion on this matter is garbage, just that sheer volume of supporting anecdotal evidence on the internet is irrelevant to it's validity.

Neither pleas from personal experience nor internet reports will sway the mind that is made up on the subject. And there are those on both sides here. Remember, though, since no one seems to have hard numbers to examine and compare, everything here is anecdotal evidence. And, as Dr. Mark Crislip of Quackwatch says: "the plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data."

BTW, here's something I found interesting: I was looking at the numbers at the top, doing a rough tally of the for and against. The generally for (I like Taurus+I think its underrated handgun) add up to 64.12%. The generally against (I do not like Taurus+I think its a second rate handgun) total up to 39.2%. The neutral votes (Niether like nor dislike, its just part of my collection) come in at 8.64%.

That's 112%! Are some of you voting multiple times? Is there some other explanation of which I am unaware? I see 301 voters listed but 337 votes. What gives?

Last edited by Dave85; June 12, 2008 at 12:09 PM. Reason: continuity
Old June 12, 2008, 01:29 AM   #147
gunman2000

not a bad gun depends on which one u get and how often u shoot it.. not a #1 recomeandation
Old June 12, 2008, 09:02 AM   #148
Fer

Quote:
I've been in and around the LE community for most of my life. I also grew up with my parents being in LE. I have yet to see or know any officer, I've known or met, ever wear a Taurus as a primary duty weapon. I'm talking hundreds and hundreds of LE. I've spoken to and trained LE from all around the country. I've never even known anyone to carry one as back up either. I know of zero large departments to approve the carry of any Taurus. Sure, there might be a small town or agency somewhere that might let it slide.
I have a question, as I am not from the states but have lived and studied there I do not recall LE squad cars to be another make that is not US made I might be wrong. Why would a US organization or how ever you want to call it us a import brand when they have US made cars, and well made I must say. Still there are other other manufacturers that could fill the Bill, maybe even better, but it just makes sence to consume what your country produces. But as an individual you can purchase one on those cars that fit the bill or one of the better ones. Not exactly the same but it kinda applies to the handguns, still the top agencies do carry hks, sigs.
Old June 12, 2008, 09:10 AM   #149
madmag

Quote:
How anyone could read all the Taurus threads on this forum and many others, and conclude that they make a consistently reliable product worthy of a loyal following is inane!
That just does not compute. The numbers say 43% (the highest number) think Taurus is OK. So this thread does not agree with your statement. It's just math, not emotion. Anyone reading the numbers on this thread would see 132 that like Taurus, and 62 that think Taurus is under rated. I have never seen a poll where a gun gets 100% approval. Did Taurus rate as high as H&K would, probably not, but still not too bad.

Last edited by madmag; June 12, 2008 at 10:24 AM.
Old June 12, 2008, 10:48 AM   #150
Ace_Breaker

FER

Most of the LE community in the U.S. carry Glocks (Austria). In the case of most larger departments in my area they have an ammunition and firearms board that test and choose what is approved for carry. Handguns are not just thrown on the list. They are analyzed, reviewed, fired, inspected. Most in my organization have to carry Glock. For back up there are more choices. Do I think Glock is the answer for everyone, no, but I think it is superior to any Taurus I've owned. To be quite honest with you, way back in 1992 I submitted for the Taurus 85 concealed hammer to be added on the list for back up weapons. I was rejected twice after submitting information and articles on the handgun. This was back when I was first buying firearms and I, like many here, thought Taurus was a decent handgun. My experiences and knowledge have sinced swayed me obviously. I think that some Taurus are ok models when they work right. Also, when I talk about people in the LE community, I'm talking many competition shooters, armorers, and avid shooters/ collectors that combined have hundreds of years of shooting experience. I know these people and absolutely trust their knowledge and experience. I still have never heard one say they would carry Taurus as a primary duty weapon. Many do like weapons other than Glock like CZ's, Sig, XD, etc. This poll has brought the Taurus lovers out to vote. If you look at the posts for overall best firearms it is clear that almost none vote for the bull!!! For those of you that do own Taurus I hope they service you perfectly and that they function properly in the time of need. For those of you who are going to purchase a handgun in the lower price ranges I would seriously consider a CZ, Sig 225/P6, used Glock, or something similar. Carry on....
Closed Thread