The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old November 25, 2004, 02:41 PM   #76
WillBrayjr

I won't touch any firearm made out of low quality materials. Hi-Points look like they have been beaten by an ugly stick. If anyone ever pointed a Hi-Point at me, they wouldn't have to shoot me to kill me because I would die laughing my butt off!

Last edited by willjr; November 25, 2004 at 07:20 PM.
Old November 25, 2004, 06:56 PM   #77
p99guy

I remember when Hi point was Stallard arms....same great pistols, different alias,.. er ..ah I ment name.
Old November 25, 2004, 07:55 PM   #78
John DR

A Hi Point would not be a pistol that I would buy, but they do serve a purpose,
They are a means of self protection for the people that can't afford 4 0r 5 hundred bucks for a hand gun.
If a person buys one for the sole purpose of self defense it's not a bad gun.
If your buying one as a weekly shooter you'll be disappointed for sure.

Life NRA Member You Can Be Too

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my gun!
Matter of fact, so has his nephew's golf club

A good gun will last a lifetime. A cheap gun will shorten your lifetime.

"We're in a society where we're making inanimate objects responsible for our stupidity"
Old November 25, 2004, 07:59 PM   #79
Wynterbourne

I've lost count of the number of individuals I've seen who've bought one to practice with so they can get a Security Commission. Of course, I've also lost count of the number of individuals I've seen who upgraded to a new pistol after they recieve the raise involved with going to an armed post.

"You can say ‘stop’ or ‘alto’ or use any other word you think will work, but I’ve found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone’s head is pretty much the universal language." - Clint Smith

9mm. Because no matter how you try to rationalize it, .45 ACP is still for people trying to compensate for -something-.
Old November 29, 2004, 02:45 AM   #80
drakcore

I’m a little late on posting on this thread, that of which brought me to registering on here in the first place, being a long time reader. lol

In reference to the HI-POINT 45 ACP I bought mine new in the box and have fired over 1000 rounds easy from CCI, Winchester, Speer Gold Dot, Eagle, Wolf brand and others not going to get into others right now.

My gun has never given me a single problem in malfunctioning in any way and or jamming for that matter. I think the gun handles very well and shoots great for me anyway. I agree it’s a tad bigger then I would like “in size”, but it has it’s reasons for that as stated on the site. I added a hogue slip on finger groove grip and really got a feel for the gun then. Hell of a shooter in my book. Over 1000 rounds and never let me down as of yet.

Not a good gun for concealed carry due to size and weight, but for hunting, home safety and all around shooting, it works for me. I’m buying the 9MM Comp with in the week and doubt I’ll ever have to look back. I admit there are better guns out there that might fit better, shoot more accurate, ect and cost a lot more for the money, but for the price and shoot-ability, I’m satisfied with mine. I can keep a 9-shot group in a softball at 25 yards with my 45, that’s pretty good in my book!
Old November 29, 2004, 06:07 PM   #81
nobanforme

I've been thinking about this post all day. What I want to know is why are so many people down on a guy who dose not have alot of money to spend? I own many very expensive guns. But this was not always the case. there was a time when I could only afford inexpensive guns. Lets be happy we have a soon to be new gun owner and count our blessings. He could be anti-gun and that would alot worse. By the way my wife bought me one of these cheap Hi-points in .380 it was a compact, I left it in the safe unfired for a few months thinking "no fun gun". when I did take it out I found it was a more accurate gun then my PPKS or Bersa. UGLY but accurate. By all means get a Hi-point and enjoy it.
Old November 29, 2004, 06:19 PM   #82
Handy

Quote:
What I want to know is why are so many people down on a guy who dose not have alot of money to spend?
Because it is short sighted.

The HighPoint is the closest thing to a disposable combat gun ever made. If you read this thread it will become clear to you that they may work, but for the money you save you give up any sort of durability, safety or portability. This is a website for gun enthusiasts who like to shoot, and the High Point is a great gun for storing in the sock drawer - why would someone who posts here want one?

An extra investment of less than the cost of a new set of clothes will take you out of the absolute lowest bidder category and provide a gun that may last a lifetime, like a Makarov or old revolver. Why spend $100 on something that will have no value after you've used it when $150 will buy a gun that will be worth the same or more in the future? That's just shrewd financial sense.
Old November 29, 2004, 09:50 PM   #83
nobanforme

An extra investment of less than the cost of a new set of clothes

You can pick these up for 64.95 who cares if they are disposable?
Old November 29, 2004, 09:59 PM   #84
bodu55

God, they're ugly.
Old November 29, 2004, 10:29 PM   #85
Handy

Where can you buy a new Hi Point for $65? The cheapest I've seen is $89.
Old November 29, 2004, 11:00 PM   #86
foogoo

This isn't specifically for hi-points, but also for the other cheapos i.e. Jennings, Raven, etc.

Someone once mentioned this which makes sense. Those guns are cheap in price and quality because they are not meant for weekly plinking per say like a Beretta. They are geared towards being a cheap backup defense. It would make sense for someone who took a training class and just needs something by the bed for protection.

Just my .02
Old November 30, 2004, 12:26 AM   #87
XavierBreath

I don't want a HighPoint, but I refuse to refuse to disrespect a honest person who wants to protect themselves and their family. Sure, there are better guns that are only $160 compared to the $90 HighPoint, but $70 extra is a lot of money for some people to spend on something they hope they don't need.

Are HighPoints good guns? Well, a buddy of mine keeps one in the toolbox of his work truck, and it rattles around with the wrenches, chains and other crap in there with every bump in the road. When he takes it out to shoot it, it goes bang just like my guns do. When it comes to cleaning it, he sprays brake cleaner into it and squirts a bit of motor oil on it. Yeah, the gun is ugly, but my friend ain't no beauty queen either.

I'm just glad that somebody is making a reliable gun for people who cannot drop over $150 at the gun counter. The more gun owners there are, the less power the antis have. If a man cannot afford a gun, he naturally does not want anyone else to have a gun either. HighPoints benefit us all.
Old November 30, 2004, 01:16 AM   #88
Ignition

no complaints for the carbine decent for the plinker and no problems after 3k rounds and cleaning.

on the pistol stand point- most confrontations when a man is attacking a woman, he will retreat and leave if she even draws a gun because the man is only picking on weaker prey and then volia she has now become stronger and that weak prik of a criminal will most likely retreat. heck if a woman pulls out a high-point instead of a nice sharp ball point pen and it stops the attack than it served its purpose. it may or may not always feed and murphy and his dang laws always seem to come knocking at the wrong time. but it will shoot most of the time for someone who isnt shooting much and still is a gun

lets push for legislation to ban toe-nail clippers because airports believe they are deadly

a 9mm is really just a .45 set on stun

KEEP YOUR BOOGER HOOK OFF THE BANG SWITCH OF A GLOCK!
~~~~~~~~~~
from MAFIA INFORMANT SAMMY "THE BULL" GRAVANO
Quote:
"Gun control? It's the best thing you can do for crooks and gangsters. I want you to have
nothing. If I'm a bad guy, I'm always gonna have a gun."
Old November 30, 2004, 06:44 AM   #89
nobanforme

Handy,
Cal ranch stores has them on sale for 64.99 about once a month.
Old November 30, 2004, 04:34 PM   #90
hummelsander

Hmmmm. Just saw the new .40....MKS has certainly improved on the one I have. It now has a 10 round magazine, locks open after last round is fired, is more ergonomic, push button mag release, and is lighter than the JS model I have. Still hard to disassemble. I bet they continue to improve on the old design. I'll bet the new ones don't jam at all. The new design is far better than the old one, it is tighter, sleeker, and has a better looking finish. The big improvements are the magazine and the last round lock open.
Old November 30, 2004, 04:46 PM   #91
ckp_hokie

Hi-Point

You get what you pay for...
Old November 30, 2004, 04:51 PM   #92
hummelsander

And what exactly do you think it is that you're getting out of a Hi Point???? I really think that their design may continue to improve. This means higher quality material, more reliability, and unfortunately more money. Wish I didn't have to be one of their steps to improvement as I have one of their older models (2002 JS .40)
Old November 30, 2004, 04:53 PM   #93
Te Anau

Not necessarily.XavierBreath said it better than I would.Show me a .45acp Makarov!
Old December 1, 2004, 11:03 PM   #94
hummelsander

Just buy one just to say you did. Come on I dare ya. I can tell you what will happen. You'll pull it out of the box, load it with 180gr whatever, and shoot at least a 4" group at 25 yards even if you're an ammeteur shooter. You'll be suprised, totally. You'll be in shock, you'll punch the magazine release, reload, fire off another 10, and faint with amazement. You'll notice they don't look or feel clunky anymore...they actually feel strangely good in your hand.

The next thing I'm sure they'll change is that stupid roll pin that holds the slide down. It has to get more field-friendly.
Old February 10, 2005, 03:22 PM   #95
jsflagstad

I own 2 and will soon be 3 Hi-Points

I own the 9mm Comp and the new version of the 40 S&W Hi-Point.

Although the 40 has given me some minor fits, the 9mm has been a dream. I sent the 40 back to the factory (Great Customer Service By the way) due to some feeding and accuracy problems. The 9mm is still way more accurate, but I will be taking a closer look at the 40 this weekend to see if I can change that. I think it needs a good cleaning as it has seen 1000+ rounds since I have got it back.

I am sure that in the future, I will pick up a Hi-Point in 45 ACP as well.

I too believe that a lot of the naysayers on this sight have not shot a Hi-Point. I too felt that they were a bit clumsy to the feel in the shop, but when pulling the trigger that all changes and the feel seems to be pretty good then.

This weekend, I will be taking on my brother with his HK USP 40 S&W in a little friendly shooting competition. My money is on the Hi_Point! (You haven't seen my brother shoot....LOL)

JSF
Old February 10, 2005, 03:43 PM   #96
dasmi

I've never held, or shot one, but man, I just looked them up, and that is one _ugly_ weapon.
Old February 10, 2005, 04:14 PM   #97
jsflagstad

Ugly Gun = Bad Gun???

So this isn't the first time I've seen this "Ugly" comment on this thread, and I just wanted to ask the following question:

Since when does how a gun looks have anything to do with how it shoots or functions????

I guess that's kind of like having to do your hair up real nice before going to the range????

I'll admit, the are kind of the Plymouth Volare of the gun world, but they do shoot rather well...

Have fun and be safe,

JSF
Old February 10, 2005, 10:14 PM   #98
wile_coyote

This has been one interesting thread to read...

A guy who wants an inexpensive plinker and asks for advice. Some give advice, others flame... I agree with the advice, get the Hi Point shoot and be happy. Others that own them, like them, listen to what they are saying.

To the people who bash on Hi Points, so they are "not something you would by"... then don't.

I don't own a Hi Point, but I have friends that do and they really like them. Will I buy a Hi Point... one day I might if I feel like it (and price has nothing to do with it...).

As far as them being ugly, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Many think Glocks are ugly, I don't. Many "ugly" objects have become well known as affordable workhorses.
Old February 10, 2005, 10:56 PM   #99
Te Anau

And something I like about my Hi-Point is the fact that its actually very comfortable and fits my hand very well.
Old February 10, 2005, 11:00 PM   #100
jsflagstad

you are correct sir

Coyote,

Well put, but one small correction... I would say "Beauty is in the eye of the gun holder".

I guess I'm just a gun lover, heck I'll give them all a try...ugly or not...

See you at the range guys... I'll be the guy with the messy hair shooting that "Ugly Hi-Point" rather well, with a big ole smile on my face.

Shoot lots, have fun, be safe...

JSF
Closed Thread