The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old April 27, 2024, 05:52 PM   #1
georgehwbush

how strong are ar-10's generally speaking

i'm thinking about taking my ar10 .243win to .243ai would that cause any concern with the action? and would that cause any feed issue ?

or is that just a try it and see thing?

anyone have "good" "correct" answers?
Old April 27, 2024, 06:27 PM   #2
stagpanther

What is your question--is an AR 10 strong enough to take big pressure spikes--or is it big enough for an AI cartridge?
Old April 27, 2024, 06:46 PM   #3
jmr40

It's not going to blow up if that's what you mean. But all self loading rifles are designed to work within a range of pressures. Too little pressure and you will get failures to eject. Too much and you will see premature parts wear.

I suppose it could be done. The AI cartridges allow you to use a bit more powder for more velocity, but pressures should be close to the same. But you may also have some issues and need to tweak some things to make it work.

I think it comes down to whether or not you're willing to sacrifice a little reliability for a little more speed. Personally, if I wanted to AI a cartridge, I think a bolt rifle is the best option.

Winston Churchill
Old April 27, 2024, 07:13 PM   #4
stagpanther

I have 6mm Creedmoors--they work great in AR10 platforms, be cool to explore a 6mm PRC .
Old April 27, 2024, 09:24 PM   #5
GeauxTide

A sharp shoulder angle does not make for reliable semi-auto feeding.
Old April 28, 2024, 01:16 AM   #6
stagpanther

Yeah--it's mostly about the "ergonomics" of how the cartridges sit in and feed from the magazine. I built a 284 win AR 10 and it shot just fine--but I never could figure out how to get more than a couple of cartridges to feed from a magazine, even after I did all kinds whacky modifications to feedlips and followers--simply how they stacked and swelled the magazine was a seemingly unsurmountable barrier--though a single stack approach might have worked but then there's the feed ramp issue. People have succeeded with WSM's and WSSM's and I've read about wildcats from the SAUM having been used.
Old April 28, 2024, 01:55 AM   #7
tangolima

I have a budget ar-10 in .243 win. No problem, other than those caused the silly state gun laws; it has a fixed magazine.

I plan to shoot funky calibers with it. I hear 6mm prc, wsm, wssm. What else?

-TL

PS. Looks like there are quite a few available. How about the 6.8 sig fury?
https://www.x-caliber.net/ar-10

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited by tangolima; April 28, 2024 at 02:09 AM.
Old April 28, 2024, 10:12 PM   #8
georgehwbush

from the top down: stagpanther; yes higher pressures and feeding issues, i already have expermented with adjustable gas blocks and have pretty much solved the cycling issues.

jmr40; agreed bolt is the choice there but budget is an issue also, i have the ar-10 i don't have a bolt 243 any more.

stagpanther; yeah the creedmore's are close to the same geometry so that should answer the feeding question.

GeauxTide; hmmm if creedmore feeds ok i would think that 243-ai would also. but that is just thinking, maybe you have experance with this ?

stagpanther; isn't 284-win a larger diameter than 308-win ?

tangolima; yeah lots to choose from there. but no ai
Old April 28, 2024, 10:31 PM   #9
tangolima

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgehwbush View Post
from the top down: stagpanther; yes higher pressures and feeding issues, i already have expermented with adjustable gas blocks and have pretty much solved the cycling issues.

jmr40; agreed bolt is the choice there but budget is an issue also, i have the ar-10 i don't have a bolt 243 any more.

stagpanther; yeah the creedmore's are close to the same geometry so that should answer the feeding question.

GeauxTide; hmmm if creedmore feeds ok i would think that 243-ai would also. but that is just thinking, maybe you have experance with this ?

tangolima; yeah lots to choose from there. but no ai
I believe the shop in link accepts custom order. They may agree to ream ai chamber for you, for a small fee of course.

-TL

Old April 30, 2024, 01:09 AM   #10
georgehwbush

pardon me rabbit holing this rather than starting a new thread, but has anyone here tried only neck sizing for an ar10 and how did that work out for you ?
Old April 30, 2024, 02:17 AM   #11
stagpanther

Quote:
pardon me rabbit holing this rather than starting a new thread, but has anyone here tried only neck sizing for an ar10 and how did that work out for you ?
Haven't tried it because in general fired brass will have to be full-length small-base resized in my experience.
Quote:
That extra width is why it swells and jams in a conventional 308 magazine.

Last edited by stagpanther; April 30, 2024 at 02:22 AM.
Old April 30, 2024, 02:51 AM   #12
tangolima

I believe .243 win's parent brass is .308 win, so they have the same base and rim diameters. Haven't had any issues with .308 mag.

-TL

Old April 30, 2024, 08:44 AM   #13
stagpanther

One of my favorite t-shirts.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1267.jpg (237.8 KB, 94 views)
Old April 30, 2024, 09:01 AM   #14
Jim Watson

Quote:

Not me, but I saw a guy bring an AR10 to a F Class match with neck sized ammo. Seems the fellow who advised him to neck size thought it was for a bolt action. The auto did not work at all.
Old May 8, 2024, 02:46 PM   #15
georgehwbush

stagpanther: nice. by the way that wouldn't be bad shooting, at the proper range of course. say 1500 yds maybe.

Tags
243 , ackley improved , ar-10