The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 18, 2007, 07:01 AM   #1
timpierce

Semi custom 1911

I'm in the market for a semi custom 1911 for CCW. Is anyone familiar with STI products? I did read the current review in American Hangunner, but I'd rather hear from someone who has one of their guns, or has used one. Buds is a dealer, and with their no money down deal I could easily swing it without breaking the bank.
The model I'm considering is the Guardian.
Old December 18, 2007, 07:03 AM   #2
Billy Sparks

STI builds a nice gun. Not sure how it stacks against some others but I like mine. On The High Road there is a guy named Correia that about every couple of months does a group buy where he gets some VERY good prices, you might want to check that out.
Old December 18, 2007, 07:37 AM   #3
Jart

I like mine - Ranger, VIP and Texican.

They seem to come off better than average with respect to complaints on the 1911 boards but are by no means exempt. I got mine from Dawson and paid them the extra 150.00 for the "enhancement" package - Texican excluded, of course.

The VIP is my EDC and has been exemplary. It's plain as a mud rail fence so you don't stroke out when you ding it up.

I didn't read the reviews in AH but did catch a podcast - franky, that podcast would have worried me some. The references to the importance of a "firm grip" on the Guardian would make me wonder if they were getting grip related malfs. Without starting up yet another "limp wrist" debate, I'll note that none of my 1911s are permitted to be that fussy - if I can "limp wrist" it, it's out of there.