The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 3, 2010, 02:23 AM   #1
rude robert

resizing/trimming ??

Hi, I am using rcbs dies for my 30 06. Most of the time when i do full resizing I have to do some trimming of the cases. this time, i only needed to trim 5 out of 55 cases that i resized. Now, i found this a bit unusual, could this be a sign that the cases are starting to harden from being resized too much? I am using remington cases that havent even been resized 3 times yet. they look good, but i havent reloaded that many to know if this sometimes happens thx robert
Old February 3, 2010, 03:12 AM   #2
physikal

I'm new to this whole thing so don't take what I say as gold. But when I was talking to my dad about trimming cases. He said when he used to reload he only remembers having to do it once maybe twice to each case.

Resizing happens every time though w/ the depriming process on a full length die.
Old February 3, 2010, 06:26 AM   #3
sourdough44

Yes you may only need to do it after several firings. The 1st time is usually the most, new or new to you brass. Another factor are your loads. Lower to modest loads are much easier on brass(and gun). If you load in the mid range with the data much of the time you are lower in pressure than the average factory load. Just do whatever it takes.
Old February 3, 2010, 11:03 AM   #4
rude robert

cool thx for the info. now i can reload my commi cali copper loads:barf: