The first one was the Rossi .357 snubby and the second
was Charter Arms .38 Ultra Lite.

The Rossi seemed like the fit and finish was not up to
par with the Charter revolver. It did hold six rounds to
five in the other.

I always prefer a .357 as that gives you the choice of
two calibers instead of just sticking with .38's

Well if I had cash in my pocket I would have taken the
Charter Arms..the trigger was so much smoother.

Am I crazy?

What say you all of the two choices?
Old December 21, 2009, 07:29 PM   #2
SigP6Carry

You might want to consider a S&W M64 with .38spl+p loads. Those are a great buy right now.
edit: on sale at J&G. They got a few different styles. http://www.jgsales.com/product_info....oducts_id/3806

Last edited by SigP6Carry; December 21, 2009 at 07:51 PM.
Old December 21, 2009, 07:31 PM   #3
knight0334

I've never owned a Charter so I cant say much about them other than one "generation" of the company's production was better than the other's.

Rossi, I love them. I have a really old model 68 spl which is a knock-off of the S&W J-frame. And a model 720 44spl which is my daily carry piece. The 44 locks up tight, is accurate as all git'out, and looks down right mean with its unfluted cylinder.
Old December 21, 2009, 07:48 PM   #4
don95sml

Call me a snob if you like, but I wouldn't have either a Rossi or a Charter Arms. Save your money and get a used S&W or Ruger. In future years you won't regret it.
Old December 21, 2009, 07:56 PM   #5
SigP6Carry

Don95, I'm not going to call you a snob, but I'll call you an elitist, which isn't a necessarily bad thing. You're the type of guy that won't drink Jack or Evan Williams, but prefers a single barrel Bourbon. A connoisseur of sorts, and I agree with you, to a point. While some of us may not have the money to spend on a shiny, new S&W, we may still prefer a new gun over a used one, thus the Rossis and Charters come into play. The Rugers and Smiths will absolutely be a GREAT improvement over them, but the get the same features, you're generally paying a lot more in the Rugers and Smiths.

My advice is: unless you want a nice, small, tight little snubby: Used S&W or Ruger is your best bet. If you want the snubby, I trust Charter over Rossi, based solely on hearsay.
Old December 21, 2009, 08:18 PM   #6
shepherddogs

I had several older Charter Arms revolvers back in the mid 80s. They were all good revolvers. Now I hear the new ones are junk but I have no experience with them. I have also had several Rossi guns and they didn't impress me. If I were looking for an inexpensive revolver I'd get on gunbroker and find a police trade S&W. They're still out there if you look around. Most of them have hardly been shot. If you get a nickel or stainless gun you can polish out any minor scratches and make them new again. The 4 inch S&W police revolver was as good a quality as you will ever see. Far better than a Rossi, Taurus etc.
Old December 21, 2009, 08:31 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

The Charter is a reasonably good gun and a decent choice when dollars are short. The Rossi suffers from the same problems as its Brazilian stablemate, Taurus, and that is spotty quality control. If you get a good one, they are good revolvers and will give you long service. If you get a bummer, you are faced with so-so customer service and possibly repeated trips to the repair shop. All makers turn out a lemon once in a while, but Brazil has a lot more lemon trees than Massachusetts.

Jim
Old December 21, 2009, 08:41 PM   #8
Bellevance

Save your nickels. Buy quality. You will never regret it. Your heirs will revere you.
Old December 21, 2009, 08:53 PM   #9
Huntergirl

Research, research research. Economy pistols, some may be a good deal, and be reliable. But when considering economy guns, research is very important. Look for any recall notices, consumer reports, Forums with actual experiences over time. Talk to a gunsmith, if possible.The reasons for getting an economy gun are many, but usually is because of tight finances. My first conceal carry was a Hungarian FEG in .380, which served me well until I could afford something else. Soon I upgraded to a Beretta .380. I still own a Bersa Firestorm mini .40, which has been reliable and adequately accurate. It is a Truck gun. But now my conceal carry is either a SW 642 or a Colt Defender 45. I've had them for a long time and they are excellent weapons. Do what you need to do to get armed, but don't be blinded by flash and marketing. Revolverwise, I would look at used SW or Rugers, because they have proven designs and reliability. But its up to you.

Last edited by Huntergirl; December 21, 2009 at 09:11 PM.
Old December 21, 2009, 09:06 PM   #10
dondavis3

I'd buy used Colt , Ruger, or S&W all make excellant revolvers .

Just my .02

Old December 21, 2009, 09:09 PM   #11
Huntergirl

Chalupa, have you noticed the Sticky at the top of the Revolver Handgun Forum? Read that sticky. It tells you what kinds of problems to look for, when purchasing a revolver. Regards and good luck.
Old December 21, 2009, 11:15 PM   #12
EdInk

I think that link to the used .38 s&w dao is a big help. If you want new get a Taurus if you want something for cheap.
Old December 21, 2009, 11:46 PM   #13
Melissa5

I'd vote for a used Ruger, S&W, or Colt also.
Old December 22, 2009, 05:57 AM   #14
Elvishead

Tough call on that one. I've heard less bad things about Charter failing.

Buy either one, and pray they hold up, you never know.
Old December 22, 2009, 08:31 AM   #15
breed

i have a rossi 972 that's been a outstanding firearm. every bit as accurate and reliable as any of my colts or smith's.not bad for a new gun that was $327 dollars out the door two years ago. and that's with a 6in barrel ss and adjustable sights...my dad also had one that we shot for years with out a single problem. i guess we may have just got lucky with ours. but then again they have been around for over a hundred years.
Old December 22, 2009, 09:36 AM   #16
woad_yurt

One doesn't need to buy the best to get something equally functional, but....

People who sell off their used pieces are either broke or disenchanted with the gun. Whose gun are you getting? Reading the revolver checkout sticky was the best recommendation.

BTW, with all else equal and if this was my only selection, I'd probably go with the Charter. When was it made? How are these two priced, anyway?
Old December 22, 2009, 01:10 PM   #17
Chalupa

Quote:
How are these two priced, anyway?
The Ultra Lite Charter in .38 special was priced at $357..yes
its ironic I know.

The Rossi .357 was priced at $345

Now when I came in the Rossi, had about $100 more on the
price tag. When I came in he said "May I help you sir" Told
him I would like to see the 461 in the case...he replied right
away the prices on the tags were not set in stone.

I think the simple fact that I knew the model number made
him go down in price right away.
Old December 22, 2009, 05:09 PM   #18
tekarra

Chalupa,
When you decide and have had time to shoot your choice, you must post a range report.
Old December 22, 2009, 05:18 PM   #19
rickyjames

i have a rossi 461. it has a very nice fit and finish. its accuracy is better than my 2 snubby s&w's. no problems at all and a very nice price for a new gun. sorry i don't have a charter arms to comment on.
Old December 22, 2009, 05:23 PM   #20
Chalupa

Quote:
When you decide and have had time to shoot your choice, you must post a range report.
Will do.
Old December 22, 2009, 07:45 PM   #21
sheepman

Had a couple Charters, both were OK but would go with a used S&W or Ruger. Do not have any experience with a Rossi. Good luck : Bill
Old December 22, 2009, 11:13 PM   #22
Straightshooter629

I love it when someone makes a comment on a particular firearm strictly based on heresay. Well, this comment is not based on anything that anyone TOLD me. I have several pistols and revolvers but the one I choose to carry daily is a Rossi 462(2" SS .357) and have for the past couple of years. I have fired close to a thousand rounds through this weapon with absolutely no problems of any kind and that is even after a dunking in the lake as I slipped while fishing. For all of you "Snobs" (there, I said it), the Rossi may not have as high of a resale value as your S&W or your Ruger, but when it comes to reliability and durability, I'll pit my Rossi against your S&W's and your Ruger's any day, any time. Making an evaluation about a gun that you've never handled is like saying you don't like a food without even tasting it. Your evaluation of a item means nothing if you have no experience with that item.

Last edited by Straightshooter629; December 22, 2009 at 11:31 PM. Reason: additional comments
Old December 23, 2009, 07:41 AM   #23
alloy

Quote:
The Ultra Lite Charter in .38 special was priced at $357..yes
its ironic I know.

The Rossi .357 was priced at $345
That's almost touching on used Ruger prices isn't it?
EAA Windicators are about 250-300 new, this isn't a recommendation....just a mention.
https://www.rrarms.com/catalog.php?prod=G770130
Old December 23, 2009, 12:13 PM   #24
Jkwas

I have several S&W revolvers along with a Taurus. I also have a relative that has a Windicator and I have shot it as well.
What do I think of them?
My S&W's are of the older non MIM pre lock type with pinned barrels and firing pins on the hammers. The fit, finish, and lock-up are excellent. The triggers are good and differ from the others above in that they rotate/lockup the cylinder first, then the hammer continues it's travel and then releases forward. It is very much the best target trigger of the bunch.
The Taurus I have is a small frame, stainless steel. The fit and finish are also excellent. The gun is very accurate, and aside from replacing the hammer spring and having to clean out the center pin/extractor channel (after more than 1000 rounds) it has been very serviceable. A good shooter that points naturally with a good grip that fits my hand very well. It is one of my primary CCW's. The trigger is what you might call a single stage type. One motion simultaneously rotates the cylinder and the lockup takes place as the hammer breaks forward. It is a very fast trigger and can be shot faster than the S&W revolvers.
The Windicator has a poor finish, but a good fit. It was not an accurate shooter, but enough to do the job at close quarters. I would call it a good truck/car gun. As near as I can tell you can't take it apart (riveted together?) so I have no idea what's inside. It has a single stage type trigger, very heavy but serviceable. It does go bang every time. A little large for a snub but concealable.
At a price point, the windicator is a good second gun or truck gun.
As far as the S&W and Taurus revolvers, well I've shot a newer model 36 and my wife has an older pinned barrel M36, and there is no comparison. The older one puts the new one to shame in the fit/finish and trigger department.
To rate the three best to least, I would put the older M36 first, the Taurus second, and the newer model 36 as a close third. But all of them are good and it would just come down personal preference. I mean I'm really splitting hairs here and not putting any of them down at all.
I have no experience with the Rugers so I can't speak to them.
Old December 23, 2009, 12:58 PM   #25
TheOctoberWolf

I've shot my grandfather's Rossi M88 plenty of times. It fits my hand better than any gun I've ever picked, autos included. It isn't rated for +P, however. For that reason alone I wouldn't carry it, although the grip would have to be cut down or replaced for the pocket carry I prefer anyhow. It would have made an awesome truck gun, which is the role it played for my grandad since the early 90s.

Wish list: Smith & Wesson all-steel Bodyguard with CT Lasergrips and front sight switched for a 24/7 Big Dot or tritium/fiberoptic.