The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old May 4, 2024, 02:58 AM   #1
badmatrix

Bud’s Gun Shop selling and Buying

I somehow found out that BUD’S buys firearms. I filled out their form and heard back from them in short order with an offer to buy my rifle.

But i had a question(s). Shipmygun.com came with their offer but it left too many questions and omissions. Not sure about trusting to send them my rifle.

it is impossible to reach someone. How do you reach a live body?

They have this “ask the community” which is like gun CB radio, and anyone can offer their opinion to answer a question.

The live chat is anything but that.

I read through the numerous complaints from their local BBB, even with an A+ rating.

Any one wade through this that can offer insight?
Old May 4, 2024, 08:57 AM   #2
The Verminator

Are they giving you that much more than your LGS will?

Seems like a lot of trouble, risk and expense to do it like you are.
Old May 4, 2024, 12:33 PM   #3
dogtown tom

Quote:
badmatrix I somehow found out that BUD’S buys firearms. I filled out their form and heard back from them in short order with an offer to buy my rifle.
You will always get a better price selling locally.

Quote:
But i had a question(s). Shipmygun.com came with their offer but it left too many questions and omissions. Not sure about trusting to send them my rifle.
Bud's is Shipmygun. They are just providing you a shipping label.

Quote:
You don't.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old May 4, 2024, 07:53 PM   #4
5whiskey

Quote:
Quote:

You don't
Sure you can. Drive to Pigeon Forge lol. Of course that would remove the need to ship.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946
Old May 5, 2024, 10:05 AM   #5
taylorce1

I used Ship My Gun recently to send a rifle. It was by far the cheapest way I've mailed a rifle in years. $27 shipped from CO to MI, plus a few packaging materials. Walked into the customer service center with my packaged rifle, they took it and scanned it in no questions asked.

You can't ship firearms with UPS or FedEx without an FFL as they changed policies a couple years ago. That leaves you really with just the USPS, and I haven't had great luck with them lately they misplaced a rifle barrel for three months for me. They also refused my claim for insurance, there reason is the agreed upon price of a used T/C Encore barrel wasn't an original receipt providing proof of value. Luckily the guy was honest, and when the barrel finally showed up and sent me payment again for the barrel.

I'll use Ship My Gun again even tough it's a little inconvenient. The UPS hub is 35 miles away and only open in the afternoon M-F 4:30-6:30. Just the price I pay not to have neighbors close by.

I've never used Bud's when I want to sell a firearm. They're just like any other store that buys used firearms. They'll under value what your selling to them, as the want to purchase for less than wholesale price. This offends a lot of people who don't buy and sell often, as they put value on the sentiment they feel.
However, that's capitalism and they need to make profits to stay in business and they can't worry about the sellers feelings.
Old May 5, 2024, 10:25 AM   #6
DaleA

I've seen folks selling guns to Cabela's. They seemed to have a well-defined 'process' in place for buying guns from folks that want to sell one.

Since I am an avowed acolyte of Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING! I've not looked into it.

Anybody have anything to say about Cabela's?

And maybe Bass Pro---aren't they owned by the same company?
Old May 5, 2024, 11:24 AM   #7
The Verminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleA View Post
I've seen folks selling guns to Cabela's. They seemed to have a well-defined 'process' in place for buying guns from folks that want to sell one.

Since I am an avowed acolyte of Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING! I've not looked into it.

Anybody have anything to say about Cabela's?

And maybe Bass Pro---aren't they owned by the same company?
It's Bass Pro now and it's gone downhill.

I don't go there anymore.

Anyone selling should go to a local shop.
Old May 5, 2024, 11:46 AM   #8
Pumpkin

Cabelas used to be okay depending on what you had and how long you had it.
I (regrettably now) traded a GP-100 and SP-101 that I had owned for a while. They told me, look at what we are selling them for new and we will give you half that amount. I guess this was at the start of revolvers really going through the roof and being that I had owned them a good while I got basically what I paid for them.
This was the last time I traded anything of any consequence, I have since adopted the add rather than trade philosophy. Sleep much better because of Cheapshoters rule too!
Old May 5, 2024, 01:41 PM   #9
FrankenMauser

Depending on who you are and what you have, Cabelas will offer no more than 50% of actual value for run of the mill guns, but often somewhere between 10% and 30% for modern firearms that have nothing special going for them.
Yes, you read that correctly. Not only have I seen it happen to other people, but I was personally offered $20 for a $200-250 rifle, $80 for a $450 revolver, and $90 for a $600 rifle. They don't care about making you happy as a seller, unless you will be slowly liquidating a large collection. For one-time deals, they just want to maximize profit.
Old May 6, 2024, 11:19 AM   #10
Jim Watson

A friend won a gun in a post match drawing, but would rather have Something Else.
She could:
trade it in at that range/store but not get good value,
sell it to Joe Schmuck after who knows how long advertising,
put it on consignment for 20% commission.

I would do the last. I really wish they would give out certificates worth $XXX in trade than to dump something cluttering their inventory.
Old May 6, 2024, 01:12 PM   #11
Ricklin

Buy from Cabela's

I don't know who they have valuing guns in their gun library, but the very best crazy deal prices I have bought guns from was Cabela's.
Original Colt New army and navy 1898 Mfg. 25 dollars. Heck the Colt letter cost me 100, my book says 895 bucks, the only Colt with a LH? rotating cylinder. No locking bolt, they thought it defective, thus the low price.
Another very elegant top break .32 H+R for 20 bucks, unusual in blue and great shape, likely unfired. Again 25 bucks.
My LC Smith SBT came from them, 700 bucks. Finally my Super X 1 Ducks unlimited dinner gun NIB but no box 700 bucks.
I like Cabelas.
Old May 10, 2024, 12:30 AM   #12
V-fib

??

Last edited by V-fib; May 10, 2024 at 11:10 PM.
Old May 10, 2024, 02:42 AM   #13
georgehwbush

(Finally my Super X 1 Ducks unlimited dinner gun NIB but no box 700 bucks.) ?

NIB but no box ;S how can it be "new in the box" with no box ?
Old May 10, 2024, 10:41 AM   #14
dogtown tom

Quote:
V-fib ...I packed the pistol in a USPS if it fits it ships priorty box and mailed it. My local post office is only one room and they didn't ask what was in the box and I didn't tell. ....
Thats a felony.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE