The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 21, 2007, 01:38 AM   #1
FireCaptDave

Front Sight Certificates

Does anyone have any expereince with buying Front Sight Certificates on Ebay? I see $2000 certificates with bids starting in the $150 range. Just wondering if anyone has ever bought one on Ebay or heard of anyone being burned, etc. How do these sellers get the certificates, etc.

Yes, I know, if it sounds too good to be true...

http://cgi.ebay.com/2000-Front-Sight...QQcmdZViewItem
Old June 21, 2007, 08:32 AM   #2
PJW001

I was looking at these as well...the feedback for this ebay seller is very good but as you say"if it sounds too good".

Looking forward to any input given as well.
Old June 21, 2007, 09:15 AM   #3
Tim Burke

In the past, it was not unusual to find deeply discounted Front Sight certificates on e-Bay. I've never heard of one not being honored. However, one of the clauses of the recent settlement reads (emphasis mine):
Quote:
Although certificates applicable to tuition for courses offered at Front Sight remain transferable, by sale or gift, they cannot be marketed or sold in public forums such as eBay or other online public markets or in any other publicly disseminated forum. Violation of this policy is grounds for termination of the selling person’s membership under the terms set forth herein. Front Sight reserves the right not to honor any certificates it determines were sold in a public forum. This provision does not apply to charities that have accepted certificates as a donation from Front Sight or Front Sight Members, or to certificates that members have transferred prior to receiving Notice of the Settlement and the terms hereof.
I do not know how this will be handled from now on, but it seems pretty clear that Front Sight only has to honor the certificate at its discretion. I don't know how they will determine if the certificate has been transferred prior to notification of the settlement terms.
Old June 24, 2007, 07:44 AM   #4
Dewhitewolf

I would contact any seller with questions regarding that statement prior to making any purchase off ebay.

Don't get me wrong--if you can get a Front Sight certificate for only $100, I say grab it! But, if Front Sight is not going to honor certificates bought off ebay, then it's obviously a bad idea.

Be sure to ask the seller if he'll refund your money if Front Sight doesn't honor it.
Old June 27, 2007, 01:18 AM   #5
ws6_keith

The one thing to remember is that those gray certificates are only good for a trainee's first class. It can be one first-timer in a 2 or 4 day class or two first-timers in the same 2 day class. Those typically go for around $100 (I know where there are quite a few at that price).

The blue certificates are in much more demand as they allow for returning students. Those go for $400-$450 typically.
Old June 27, 2007, 01:43 AM   #6
choochboost

In exchange for posting a bunch of links on your website, blog, or myspace page, Front Sight is now offering free certificates for four-day classes. Both first-time and returning Front Sight students are eligible. Offer ends on June 30th. So, get the $100 certs off of ebay along with this offer and you can get a total of 8 days training for $100. Not a bad deal.