The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 1, 2011, 08:32 PM   #1
9mm

My Glock failing to load, 03 spring problem? help! please

Hi, I got a gen 4 g19 and a 03 spring. I forget what springs are bad? are the 03's or 04's? My glock has had 340 rounds put through it, using 115 grain PMC ammo and 3 boxes of WWB ammo. Why is it failing to load? it shouldn't do this even with the 115 grain. I think my spring is bad? Theres not enough force to load the round, so it goes half way up the ramp and stops.

I shot 40 rounds today and had about 4 FTL (fail to load) had a friend shoot some and he didn't have a problem. I did though. A range master told me it was about holding the gun, and I have my hand of the side so it blows back straight and not at a angle.

OH I do not think its the magazine, when I first got the gun I used the magazines that came with the gun and it still did it. I notice after the range master told me to keep my hand tight on the side of the grip with my left hand( I am a right hand shooter and I was putting my hand on the magazine) that it didn't fail to load as much. It was failing to load about 10 times in 50 rounds... Now I am under 5 rounds for 50 rounds.

Thank you!

Maybe my spring is too strong? should I leave the action open for a few days to compress the spring?

Glocks are very good, I know someone who carrys a g19 and g26 he has no problems what so ever. I do not want to give up on my gun! lol
Old April 1, 2011, 08:51 PM   #2
twhidd

If the problem doesn't occur when your friend shoots it, then the range master was probably right in suggesting it was the way you are holding it. It sounds as if you may be "limp-wristing" the gun.

I don't know what you're referring to with "03 springs" or "04 springs" having problems. Glocks usually work and work very well. There are no problems with springs that I'm aware of.
Old April 1, 2011, 09:05 PM   #3
9mm

He only shot 15 rounds.

I have had my family members shoot my gun and they had a few fail to loads but not like me. I have been able to get 15 rounds through and no FTL but its rare.
Old April 2, 2011, 02:50 AM   #4
Amin Parker

One of my 19s does the same thing. The slide is half way open and the round is half in the mag and half up the ramp.

I could not fix the problem and sold the gun, like you i was expecting a lot from the brand.

Consider a CZ pistol before you decide.
Old April 2, 2011, 04:50 AM   #5
Daryl

9mm,

The problem with the Gen4 9mm Glocks was that the spring was too stiff, which caused ejection problems with weaker loads. From your description of the problem, it sounds like your's in ejecting ok, but not feeding a new cartridge properly.

1. Check the feed ramp to be sure it's smooth, with no burrs.

2. Clean the gun, and lube it lightly according to the directions in your manual. One or two drops of oil is plenty if spread between the various lube points.

3. Try different ammo. FMJ ammo is less prone to feeding issues than a wide hollow point. If your gun is ammo sensitive, try a hollow point with a smaller hole in the nose. Glocks are notoriously reliable with about any ammo, but I'm sure there are exceptions.

On gripping the gun, I don't think that limp wristing would cause the issue you descrribe. Regadless, make sure you shoot the gun with a strong grip and your wrist locked.

If the issue persists, call Glock. I've never had to call their customer service, but it's reported to be top-notch.

Daryl
Old April 2, 2011, 08:46 AM   #6
amd6547

Gen 4 Glocks have had quite a few problems.
Old April 2, 2011, 10:51 AM   #7
9mm

Quote:
9mm,

The problem with the Gen4 9mm Glocks was that the spring was too stiff, which caused ejection problems with weaker loads. From your description of the problem, it sounds like your's in ejecting ok, but not feeding a new cartridge properly.

1. Check the feed ramp to be sure it's smooth, with no burrs.

2. Clean the gun, and lube it lightly according to the directions in your manual. One or two drops of oil is plenty if spread between the various lube points.

3. Try different ammo. FMJ ammo is less prone to feeding issues than a wide hollow point. If your gun is ammo sensitive, try a hollow point with a smaller hole in the nose. Glocks are notoriously reliable with about any ammo, but I'm sure there are exceptions.

On gripping the gun, I don't think that limp wristing would cause the issue you descrribe. Regadless, make sure you shoot the gun with a strong grip and your wrist locked.

If the issue persists, call Glock. I've never had to call their customer service, but it's reported to be top-notch.

Daryl
No burrs, I clean my gun everytime after the range, I only oil the spring in the housing and a drop of oil in the firing pin place oh and I spray the recoil spring with that CLP stuff. I do not think the gun needs oil on the ramp, it should load fine without it. "but not feeding a new cartridge properly." correct! I might call Glock and see what they say.

Last edited by 9mm; April 2, 2011 at 10:56 AM.
Old April 2, 2011, 12:59 PM   #8
twhidd

I don't think he was suggesting that you oil the feed ramp, but you should oil the slide rails. You didn't mention that you oiled there.
Old April 2, 2011, 02:09 PM   #9
flyboyjake

it should not need oil on the spring or the firing pin, not that doing so would cause an issue that you describe. With a full magazine at the range, lock the slide back fully, and with your thumb, release it. Do this on every round in the magazine. If a few of them are not chambering, then your gun is dirty/un lubed, the magazine feed lips are too tight, or the recoil spring is not sufficient to return to battery. If they all chamber, then during normal firing, the slide is not getting kicked all the way back during its cycle, implying you may be "limp wristing", or the spring is too short and providing excessive tension. I would call glock if you cant figure it out soon.
Old April 2, 2011, 02:24 PM   #10
fastbolt

The Gen4 model line was discussed in my last Glock armorer's recert class.

The "03" Recoil Spring Assembly (RSA) is the one needed for the Gen4 G23. There is an "04" RSA now available for the Gen4 G19, and if you call Glock and explain your experience they'll probably just send you one to try in your Gen4 G19.

A shooting grip which emphasizes grip stability (normally firm grip and locked wrist) and a balanced body position (or stance, if you will) is still required for optimal feeding, functioning & operation of the Glock pistol during live-fire. Do you have much experience in shooting the plastic-framed Glock pistol (aside from your new Gen4 G19)?

Naturally, using light bullet weight standard pressure 9mm ammunition ... especially some of the less expensive/budget offerings which may involve the lower end of the power range encountered among factory ammunition ... may sometimes exacerbate any issues connected to a less-than-optimal grip technique and/or a RSA which may be a bit heavy for the shooter/ammunition combination.

Proper feeding and functioning depends on the slide moving at a certain speed and running the full length of its travel during operation. Grip stability issues (and RSA tension) can have a potential adverse effect on optimal functioning. A borderline grip issue may be exacerbated by the presence of a heavier RSA in the hands of one shooter, but not in the hands of another shooter with more experience and a better "grasp" of grip issues (pun intended ). Just depends.

Got a local Glock armorer? Maybe at your range? Maybe he/she has an "04" RSA for the Gen4 G19, and can give your new gun a quick inspection for anything else which may be involved, as well as maybe offer you some pointers in shooting plastic-framed pistols if they're something "new" to you.

Quote:
... I only oil the spring in the housing and a drop of oil in the firing pin place oh and I spray the recoil spring with that CLP stuff.
It might also be helpful for you to have a Glock armorer discuss and review the cleaning & maintenance guidelines (in your owner manual), too. The lubrication recommendations do NOT include the firing pin, BTW. That can lead to a contaminated firing pin channel which could result in failures-to-fire at some point.

Just some thoughts.
Old April 2, 2011, 05:51 PM   #11
9mm

Could someone tell me whats there number?

I believe its this below? and are they 24/7?

GLOCK, Inc.
6000 Highlands Parkway
Smyrna, GA 30082
U.S.A.
Tel.: +1 770 - 432 1202
Fax: +1 770 - 433 8719

Quote:
It might also be helpful for you to have a Glock armorer discuss and review the cleaning & maintenance guidelines (in your owner manual), too. The lubrication recommendations do NOT include the firing pin, BTW. That can lead to a contaminated firing pin channel which could result in failures-to-fire at some point.
Did not know that, thank you. I just heard when I got it, do not over lube it, and a few drops of oil on the slides.

Last edited by 9mm; April 2, 2011 at 05:56 PM.
Old April 2, 2011, 08:23 PM   #12
Evan-0-Matic

Get yourself an '04' or '01' spring. Only way to fix the problem.

I opted to buy a new GEN 3 Glock 17 versus the GEN 4 for that very reason... the new spring setup is simply a mistake on Glock's behalf.

You could also buy one of Lone Wolf's non-double spring rigs (gen 3 style spring that fits the Gen 4 9mm's).

Good luck!
Old April 2, 2011, 08:35 PM   #13
9mm

Will Glock even mail me a new spring? I am not 21. I do not know?? Some companies will not mail you/sell you anything that is for a handgun.
Old April 2, 2011, 10:17 PM   #14
RUT

They don't ask your age, so don't worry about it.
Old April 3, 2011, 04:36 AM   #15
Daryl

Quote:
No burrs, I clean my gun everytime after the range, I only oil the spring in the housing and a drop of oil in the firing pin place oh and I spray the recoil spring with that CLP stuff. I do not think the gun needs oil on the ramp, it should load fine without it. "but not feeding a new cartridge properly." correct! I might call Glock and see what they say.
Sounds like you're oiling spots that don't need oiled, and not oiling places that do.

Seriously, check in your owner's manual for specific instructions on where and how to oil the gun. The slide rails need a bit of oil to allow the slide to move freely and to help prevent wear; the springs do not. Excessive oil can cause dirt and powder residue to build up in the action, which will also hinder it's functioning.

You do not need to oil the feed ramp. Not sure where you got that idea from my previous post?

Daryl
Old April 3, 2011, 05:34 AM   #16
Amin Parker

9mm,

Why did you buy a Glock? Im just a bit interested in how you decided please.

Consider a CZ pistol before you decide.
Old April 3, 2011, 01:33 PM   #17
Dave T

Quote:
Why did you buy a Glock?
I'm curious about how he bought it. It's pretty much the law nation wide that you have to be 21!

Dave
Old April 3, 2011, 05:04 PM   #18
9mm

Private sale. 18 to own. 21 to buy from federal dealer. Do you know the laws ? Ammo can be bought at private dealers at gun shows. I like glocks, I heard alot of good things, I know someone who CC's a 19/26 its a pair.