The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 30, 2011, 04:04 PM   #1
Icebergb

Thoughts about trading

What's up guys just looking at some options on trading or selling a g21 sf. I have never trade or sold a firearm before and just wanted imput about prices or trades. I would love to get into a fnp or another compact glock.
Old March 30, 2011, 04:11 PM   #2
rigby06

Unless the trade is private, meaning your and another private citizen, then a trade would most often be performed at a local gun store, the gun store will most likely give you in trade 2/3 of what they feel they can sell the weapon for, there is some room for to haggle hear, this would also depend on what you are trading the current weapon in on. If you are trading in a $500 weapon for another $500 weapon, it could almost be even. If you are trading in a $500 weapon in on a $3000 weapon, you may get more in the trade. I hope this helps.
Old March 30, 2011, 11:46 PM   #3
Mosin44az

The stores in AZ are not that generous anymore, I am being told they will give 1/2 to 60 percent of what they think they can get for it. If anyone knows any store in AZ that does better, let me know!

Glocks, at least, will always be taken in trade, they move off the shelves everywhere. But don't count on being happy with what you are offered. My guess is under 275 for sure.

Ever tried GunBroker? I haven't, and you should investigate it first, but it does look like a way to get more money than a store would give.
Old March 31, 2011, 12:27 AM   #4
AustinTX

If you live in or near a decent-sized city, try searching for gun selling/trading websites specific to your state or area as well, and see if they seem active and reputable.

I won a Ruger LCP on Gunbroker that I didn't even want (good gun, doesn't agree with my hand size) at a price I didn't think would win the auction. I kicked myself for bidding in the first place, but I was ultimately able to sell it a day later for more than I had paid for the gun and shipping after placing a free ad at TexasGunTrader.com. I arranged a face-to-face transaction in a safe and public place (LGS parking lot), covered my legal obligations with a signed bill of sale (template on the website), and was able to sell the gun for a higher price than would have been possible if I had also had to charge $30-40 for shipping.

I just Googled "Georgia gun trader" and "Georgia gun exchange" and got several results. Might be worth checking into some of the them. Good luck.
Old March 31, 2011, 12:50 AM   #5
Cheapshooter

Quote:
What's up guys just looking at some options on trading or selling a g21 sf. I have never trade or sold a firearm before and just wanted imput about prices or trades. I would love to get into a fnp or another compact glock.
Don't!!!

VVVVVVVVVVVV Rule #1
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old March 31, 2011, 10:10 AM   #6
Sevens

IMO, the "rules" don't apply when talking about Glocks.

Fact is, there's a billion Glocks. I predict that we can get Glocks from a vending machine before the end of the century.

If you ever trade away a Glock and regret it, it's the easiest thing in the world to rectify.

Trading away your Grampa's old revolver... that's a mistake waiting to happen.

Trading away a Glock is like tossing out your favorite DVD copy of "Top Gun" because you are sick of the darn movie.

Really... if you give away your Top Gun, you can always run to Best Buy and have another copy in 10 minutes.
Old March 31, 2011, 12:58 PM   #7
Icebergb

Thanx everyone for the imput. I don't really want to sell or trade it but due to financial restrictions I can't afford another one just yet but wanted to have something lighter to carry. I don't mind carrying it on my hip but with warmer weather I would perfer to have one iwb
Old March 31, 2011, 01:08 PM   #8
group17

How about consignment?
The LGD gets 15%.
The dealer and yourself set the price.
Old March 31, 2011, 01:18 PM   #9
group17

How about consignment?
The LGD gets 15%.
The dealer and yourself set the price.
Old March 31, 2011, 06:03 PM   #10
vyse.04

Selling a firearm to a gun shop is like selling a car to a dealership... You will never get a good price for either compared to what you can get by selling it to another individual. A friend of mine took his Glock in that was only fired MAYBE 200 times (and purchased a few months earlier from the same shop), and they offered him $275 without really even looking at it. He ended up selling it to someone we worked with for a little bit more. If you want something else, it may work for you though. Especially since Glocks are not in short supply.
Old April 2, 2011, 04:17 PM   #11
LarryFlew

Sell yours and buy the one you want. Just like a used car, trading gets you lowest price.
Old April 3, 2011, 03:26 PM   #12
Eagle0711

I don't know what your state law is, but in Orygun you can sell a gun to another person with no paperwork. There are adds in the newspaper. But, be careful.

Don't accept any checks, and don't sell them to " friends who will pay you later".
I've done that and never got paid for any of them, and never got them back.

I know what you are thinking. Yes, I could have got them back, but I'd be spending a long time in prison.