The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old May 6, 2007, 01:26 PM   #1
boobooboo

concealed carry gun

i am looking for a cheap concealed carry gun for me and my mom wants one two she is 57 and i am 39 any help would be very apreciated
Old May 6, 2007, 01:35 PM   #2
threefivesevenmag

Cheap should never factor into a tool that could possibly save your life or loved one's life someday.

Reasonable is a better term.

A reasonable concealed carry handgun would be a Taurus or Smith & Wesson j-frame variant.

Taurus Model 85 or 605

Smith & Wesson 642/442 or 60/640/649
Old May 6, 2007, 05:12 PM   #3
dave in maine

second the small revolver,and add an nra course and a membership as well.
Old May 6, 2007, 06:06 PM   #4
El Chimango Pete

agree

I second (third?) the other two posts - I've had the Taurus revolver for many years (since it was introduced in fact), smooth and accurate, so reasonable as defined - it's a copy of the equivalent S&W - not parts-replaceable though.

Add the NRA course and membership. Remember that any firearm is useless without the skill and practice in using it responsibly.

http://www.byknight.com/wordpress
Old May 6, 2007, 06:22 PM   #5
allenomics

You might consider the Kel-Tec in .32? It will cost about $235-$265. I have a KT-PF9, but it has a major (9mm) snap/kick. The .32 might be ideal.
Old May 6, 2007, 09:23 PM   #6
slow944

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, go and buy a gun on someone else's word. You and your Mom need to go to a range that rents handguns and see which one the two of you like. Like I posted in another thread I bought and sold/traded guns that didn't fit me just because "it was what was hot" at the time and lost a ton of money. So take your time and find what fits, then if you can't afford new look for used guns, most of the time you can find really good buys in used handguns.
Old May 7, 2007, 12:15 AM   #7
croyance

Define 'cheap', because the higher the ceiling the better choices people can present to you. What is cheap for Warren Buffet is not cheap for me.
Old May 7, 2007, 01:10 AM   #8
chris in va

I agree. Getting to a range and trying out a few guns would be ideal, but if that's not possible at the very least go to a good gun store and handle as many as possible. Talk with the salesman and try to get some decent advice about fit and manageable recoil. You might be suprised what you two will come up with.
Old May 7, 2007, 01:49 AM   #9
austinguy23

Smith & Wesson J Frames

I agree with the other posters regarding the Smith & Wesson J frames. They're very lightweight, and revolvers offer a simplicity that semi-autos do not. A .38 Special will do just fine...no need to go all out with a .357.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...category=15703
Old May 7, 2007, 02:42 AM   #10
RsqVet

Yeah,

Start with a class at the range, that will define a few thigns better for you and you can begin the search there.

Things to consider... weight, caliber, reliability, time to devote to practice / training, fit to shooters hand, capacity, resistance to dirt / lint / sweat

These are to name but a few.

Avoid any shop or instructor who has a one size fits all policy, in that they always reccomend a 38 snub or a glock.

There are many excellent choices but most important is for you to know what works for you and why you are chosing it.

Revolver vs. auto may be your first choice. While many excellent auto pistol designs exist many reccomend revolvers for their simplicity, reliability and tolerance of reduced maintance and accumulated crud such as lint and debris form carry in a pocket or purse. Given that most defense situatons don't involve firing a huge number of rounds the capacity fo 5, 6 or 7 that a revolver has is not a huge disadvantege.

In general what I will say is consider medium sized, moderate power guns, 38 spec or 9mm is a good place to start for they are decent defense calibers that are relitivly easy to handle. Medium sized guns are easier to carry and easier to shoot well than something like a micro-gun such as the kel-tek, which in 32 acp has less than optimal stoping power and is harder to shoot. So start getting eduacated and try diffirent things, then report back and more focused and worthwhile discussion can result.
Old May 7, 2007, 07:37 AM   #11
Magnum Wheel Man

I'd also like to say...

make sure if you are carrying, that you are carrying legal... take the class, & get the permit if it's required in your area... & even if it's not required, it's still a very good idea... ( even though I own many guns, & shoot often, I learned alot about low light point shooting during the course I was required to take to carry legal in my state )...

BTW... thumbs up on the J Frame ( it's one of the guns I carry )