The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old October 20, 2008, 06:27 PM   #1
KMO

Marlin 60 Clone?

I own a Savage-Stevens Model 987 .22 autoloading rifle. My buddy has a Marlin Model 60 and, yes, I know the Marlin 60 is the most popular .22 rifle in the history of the planet. Anyway, when you put the two side by side, they're nearly identical. In fact, the only differewnce we've discovered is that the 987 does not lock the slide open after the final round is fired. Here's my question for the .22 purists...Are the parts interchangeable between these two rifles? Anyone tried? If they are, the 987 becomes somewhat more "attractive" as we all know parts are readily available for the Model 60, the most popular and best-selling .22 rifle in the history of the universe.
Old October 20, 2008, 08:04 PM   #2
PointOneSeven

For patent purposes, I think the guns must be a certain percentage different to avoid lawsuits, unless the two companies worked something out.
Old October 20, 2008, 09:17 PM   #3
KMO

But, are they so different that the parts can't be shared between them? I'm hoping to hear from someone who has attempted it.

By the way, my buddy reminds me that his rifle is the world's leader in all-time sales for a .22 rifle.
Old October 21, 2008, 12:19 AM   #4
King Ghidora

Did you know that Marlin has sold 11 million Model 60's which is more than twice the amount any other .22 LR rifle has sold?

But don't worry. The biggest selling rifle of all time is the AK-47. You can buy one and bend your buddy's ear for years to come.