The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old June 23, 2000, 07:07 PM   #1
MikeK

My neice, who just graduated from college, is working this summer driving a new Expedition around the mid-atlantic marketing suntan lotion (where were those jobs when I was in college?)with one of Rosie's ex-interns. They are in the area and plan to visit. We chatted briefly on the phone and the topic of guns came up. I offered to take them to the range. My neice sounded enthused and related the her travelling companion's work history. Reading between the lines, the ex-intern seems to be somewhat brainwashed by the Rosie experience.

If I can actually get them to the range I want it to be a positive and FUN experience and ideally change the ex-Rosie woman's mind.

Aside from teaching them the basic gun safety rules and shooting at a close distance with whatever guns they choose (rifles will be 10/22 and Bushmaster - got to have that for photo ops) and any variety of handguns from .22 to .45 ACP.

Any additional suggestions would be appreciated. If I can pull it off I'll let you know how it went.
Old June 23, 2000, 08:16 PM   #2
LevelHead

I would leave politics out of it. Let the facts stand and let her decide for herself.

Maybe AFTER all is said and done broach the topic, but not during.

Otherwise, sounds like an awesome plan.

-LevelHead-
Old June 23, 2000, 08:42 PM   #3
Kiffster

Reverse psychology may work. Try hinting that she may not be up to shooting or may be a little afraid of the noise, and she will most likely try to prove you wrong. As an intern for Rosie and a salesperson, she is probably a go-get-er and looks for challenges. Always the risk of it backfiring( groan) if she is looking for a way out though.

Good Luck!!!

Kiffster

------------------
Sig 229 .40 - When you care enough to shoot the very best!
Taking away my guns stops crime like taking away my food stops Rosie from being FAT.
Old June 24, 2000, 09:07 PM   #4
VaughnT

First and foremost, lots of ammo! There's nothing worse that seeing her just get into shooting when, all of a sudden, you're well's gone dry.

Second, focus on the .22 weapons. These are easily handled and will breed confidence without scarying the lady with noise or recoil. When she's feeling the adrenalin, introduce her to Slabsides.

Third, make all the initial targets reactionary. Shake up some cans of soda. Put out balloons. Drop some steel plates. Do everything possible to make hitting the target easy and have immediate sensory feedback.

Fourth, don't push. Let her try things at her own pace. Let your neice do most of the talking (girls can talk at length, if you haven't noticed) and this neophyte will feel more comfortable.

Overall, make it fun. Have a cooler full of drinks and sandwiches for siesta time. Wear hats and plenty of sunscreen. Play a little radio. Enjoy the day.

And thanks for giving up your time for such a worthy cause.

------------------
When Reason Fails.....