The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 26, 2004, 08:33 AM   #1
Drummerbones

NAA Guardian without the trigger pull???

My primary defense gun (mainly for home) is a Ruger P89. Now I'm looking for something compact that I can take along in the car, or front pocket carry when needed. I've EXTENSIVELY researched the Kel-Tec line, P32 and P-3AT...I was almost set on going with the P-3AT when in the gun shop I picked up the NAA 380 Guardian. The weight is just a bit much for pocket carry (for my taste any way) so I was leaning towards the 32 (it's maybe 6 oz. lighter?). I'm 5'11", 205 lbs. by the way. The down side is the trigger pull on these suckers. They only had the 380 there, and it was a tough trigger. 10 lbs. I've read that the 32 is even worse at 13 lbs! Here's my question: What would you recommend considering I prefer the craftsmanship and compact size of the NAA, but am turned off by the trigger? The Kel-Tecs (though I've heard the raves) just feel like a child's toy to me. Any help is much appreciated.
Old June 26, 2004, 09:07 AM   #2
2002gti

ive got the kel tec and its VERY acurate but not totally reliable. dont have any experience with the naa but i do have a .22 mag naa that is an awesome little piece. im looking at a kahr pm9 for my next mouse gun.
Old June 26, 2004, 09:26 AM   #3
JCM298

I had a NAA Guardian .380 for over a year. It was well made and accurate. It was a little too heavy for pocket carry. My Smith 649 carried as well as the .380 in my right front pocket.

The recoil on the .380 was unusual. I have a problem with my right (shooting hand) wrist. The .380 twisted as I fired it and it didn't take too many rounds before I was forced to stop. I have the same problem with a Kahr Mk9 with +P ammo, so it must be the size of the grip frame.

Because of the weight and the unusual recoil, I used the .380 as trading material when I bought a Smith 340SC. It does not twist when fired but it's a completely different type of recoil.

Trigger pull was heavy but managable.

NAA makes an excellent product and I have a .22 magnum mini-revolver which I still carry occasionally.

John
Old June 26, 2004, 09:41 AM   #4
Drummerbones

I read on another post that if the trigger mechanisms are well oiled, then dry fired (with snap caps) for a few minutes, oil cleaned and reapplied, then dry fired some more, that the trigger significantly smooths out and lightens by a few lbs. Aslo, I've heard that the 380 will just plain hurt your hand....I'm hoping/assuming the 32 is less painful. Ture or false?
Old June 26, 2004, 07:08 PM   #5
goodshot

I bought a NAA .32 acp and had it for 3 years. I think they are great pistols. They have a great lifetime warranty with no bs. I fluffed and buffed everything I could on it to get the trigger to where I thought it was acceptable. I succeeded and got it down to about 8 or 9 lbs. (without cutting coils or changing springs !)I traded it about 3 months ago because it was a rock in my pocket. I now have a Kel-Tec P3AT at half the weight. I liked the Guardian and it was hard to part with. Now I like the P3AT that gets lost in my pocket. I had to do a few simple mods on it when I first got it, but there are a couple of guys that helped me out with the particulars. Now it functions 100% reliably. Just my .02
Old June 26, 2004, 07:47 PM   #6
Drummerbones

You could elaborate on what "fluff and buff" you did in more detail?
Old June 26, 2004, 09:54 PM   #7
GeorgeH

I have both a Guardian 32 and 380. I've had both reworked by Teddy Jacobson. I also own a Kel Tec 380. My advise is to buy the Guardian.
Old June 27, 2004, 05:29 AM   #8
ruger357

I have the NAA .380. The trigger does lighten up with use. A bit heavy but I like to know I have someting in my pocket when I carry.
Old June 27, 2004, 09:46 AM   #9
71Commander

I have the NAA 380 and I liken the recoil to a "J" frame with medium loads. I didn't find the recoil offensive at all. Alot better than a Kel-Tec.
Patriot Guard Rider
Old June 27, 2004, 10:51 AM   #10
Drummerbones

Okay, thanks for the advice everyone. The commity says that the trigger can be lightened up a bit with oil & dry firing, and just normal use. They're a bit heavy, but a more solid gun than the Kel-Tecs. I think I'm leaning toward the .32 because of less weight & recoil. The only negative was the heavier trigger, but with some work, I bet I can get it down from 13 lbs. to a perceived 9 - 10 which is acceptable. And as was mentioned, I don't want too light of a trigger in my pocket anyway. 2 more question, I have the option to walk out of the store right now with the .32ACP, or I can order the .32NAA. Big difference? I'm just getting started and don't know all the details in ammo and caliber yet. And I love hogue rubber finger grips. Is there one that fits the Guardian .32? Thanks gang.
Old June 27, 2004, 11:09 AM   #11
Drummerbones

I've answered my own question in regards to the .32ACP VS. the .32NAA...so never mind. Grip options would be great though....or perhaps any grip alteration would interfer with CC? I bet so....thanks again.