The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 10, 2006, 06:19 PM   #1
Bearbuck

New Magazine Fit. I Think???

I bought a new magazine for my semi 40 S&W. It came with one. I ordered a Pro-Mag magazine for it. I got it in today and first thing it being new I oiled it and wiped it down. I was placing it in the handgun and encountered resistance with it barely started in. I removed it, looked with a flashlight insid e the mag well and couldn't figure what was binding it. I used my calipers on it and the old one and they were very close. I tried again and gave it a little jiggle and it slipped on up some , and with continual force it would make a sound like a click one after another until the magazine was completely seated. I pulled it out. I can see where it was rubbing the mag and the old one is rubbed there also. I continued to place it in and out of the gun and it seemed to get a little easier. I don't think I hurt anything. Is there any chance I hurt anything on the gun itself or is this pretty standard with new mags? Thanks
Whitey
Old April 11, 2006, 09:36 AM   #2
jrfoxx

I personally wouldnt be too worried about a tight fitting mag. Unless you have to apply excessive force to get it in and/or out, you will be fine. And as you have noticed, after a litttle use, it will likely smooth out and not be an issue.
Old April 11, 2006, 11:49 PM   #3
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I ordered a Pro-Mag magazine for it.
In my experience, 9 out of 10 ProMag pistol mags aren't worth the energy it takes to pound them flat before putting them in the trash.

I'm just sayin'...