The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old July 22, 2000, 04:31 PM   #1
Allen_Raiford

I bought a new LTR recently, and there is a little fouling of the bore, as if it had been shot once or twice. Is this from a factory test fire?

------------------
"Pathfinders Light the Way!"
Old July 22, 2000, 04:59 PM   #2
Mal H
Staff

Most likely. I think any firearm manufacturer that doesn't test fire their product before it leaves the factory would be extremely irresponsible. And like handgun manufacturers, I doubt that they clean them after test firing. I think they do that (or rather don't do that) more so the customer will know it was test fired and not necessarily to save time and work.
Old July 22, 2000, 11:21 PM   #3
700PSS Shooter

Allen: My new LTR in .223 was fouled also. I was under the impression that all firearms are proof fired. My LTR has an oval mark on the bolt handle side of the barrel near the chamber area that was stamped after finishing as it is bright. I assumed it was the firing proof.

That is why I always clean a new gun.

Bill
Old July 22, 2000, 11:48 PM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

I'm not aware of any reputable maker who doesn't proof fire their firearms. It's a prerequisite prior to stamping that proof mark on the gun. If you drop by the factory at Ilion for a tour, you'll pass by the proofing room and see them proof the guns. They don't clean them because that's extra labor which would cost you more $.

BTW, I managed to get a tester at Ruger to proof mark a U.S. Quarter for me. Got one for my brother too.