The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 28, 2024, 02:18 PM   #1
Nick_C_S

Loop replacement for Henry

Hi Folks,

I have a Henry 16" 357 Mag rifle. Model H0006MR.

Anyway, it came with a large loop and I don't like it. I want to replace the loop with a conventional straight oval type loop. I thought this would be something I could find lickety-split on the interweb, but I've had no luck thus far. Henry's website sells the large loop for guns with a conventional loop - but not the other way around. Midway too.

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement loop for my Henry?
Old January 28, 2024, 02:53 PM   #2
ballardw

I would be tempted to post on forums that are likely to have folks that did the standard to large loop conversion and ask what they did with the old lever. And maybe offer some $$ for on in a Wanted section of the forum(s).
Old January 28, 2024, 03:05 PM   #3
LeverGunFan

There is a Henry Rifle Forum (link) with a classified section but after a quick scan I didn't see a lever for sale. You could post a wanted to buy add there and see if anyone has one that they would like to sell or trade.

If you can't locate one, you could call the Henry customer service number and inquire if you could buy a lever direct from them.
Old January 28, 2024, 03:20 PM   #4
44caliberkid

Agree with the above, call Henry and see if they will swap it out.
Old January 29, 2024, 09:33 AM   #5
Hellcat1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballardw View Post
I would be tempted to post on forums that are likely to have folks that did the standard to large loop conversion and ask what they did with the old lever. And maybe offer some $$ for on in a Wanted section of the forum(s).
Good advice.

I've actually done this conversion, myself, on a couple of my Henrys, but prefer to keep my original loops...just because I like to keep all original parts for my guns in case a future buyer (of the gun) would like to have them. But I'm sure there are many others out there who don't care about that and would be willing to sell theirs.

Frank
Old January 30, 2024, 03:55 AM   #6
44 AMP
Staff

IF you absolutely cannot find the lever you want, you could take the one you have to a gunsmith (or possibly a blacksmith ) and have them cut, bend and weld back together the loop to get the size you want.

Nobody who isn't channeling Chuck Conners or John Wayne with a specially modified rifle (so the cartridges don't fall out) is spin cocking with a loop lever, anyway. Or, at least not outside of some games.
Old January 30, 2024, 10:10 AM   #7
MrChick

Numrich offers it, but is out of stock. The part number is on their website. Occasional searches for that number might bring one up for you.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1710800

Contact Henry with the part number and see what they say.
Old January 30, 2024, 10:59 PM   #8
Nick_C_S

Quote:
Nobody . . . is spin cocking with a loop lever, anyway.
And certainly not me.

When trying to operate the action quickly with the large loop, it hurts my fingers. It happens so fast, I'm not sure exactly what's taking place ergonomically, but it doesn't happen with my Marlin with a conventional loop.

I looked at the website, got the part #, will consider a gunsmith (or blacksmith), etc.

I truly appreciate all the words of advice.

Funny, I thought getting another loop would be like going to the Glock store and buying another barrel - that kind of easy. Guess not.
Old February 1, 2024, 01:58 PM   #9
1972RedNeck

Call Henry. I wouldn't be surprised if they send you a new lever for free.
Old February 3, 2024, 01:32 PM   #10
DaleA

Quote:
Funny, I thought getting another loop would be like going to the Glock store and buying another barrel - that kind of easy. Guess not.
I would have thought the same thing.

If you do contact Henry (as suggested above) please let us know how it turns out.

Getting a lever gun appeals to my inner cowboy but I'm balking at Henry's price tag. I'm interested if people that own one think they are worth the (roughly) $1,000 cost.
Old February 3, 2024, 09:03 PM   #11
musicmatty

Call Henry. I wouldn't be surprised if they send you a new lever for free.

I agree 100%. Absolutely the best customer service in my experience.
Old February 4, 2024, 11:58 AM   #12
Nick_C_S

I guess I'm allowed to topic drift my own thread

Quote:
Getting a lever gun appeals to my inner cowboy but I'm balking at Henry's price tag. I'm interested if people that own one think they are worth the (roughly) $1,000 cost.
I absolutely love my Henry. My only regret is that I didn't buy one thirty years ago. It's just a fun gun to shoot. Accurate. Very accurate.

Now I don't do the Cowboy Action thing - as is so often the case with Henry rifles. I just target shoot at 50 yards with full-throttle 357 Mag rounds (158gn Soft Points) that I load myself. So I suppose I'm not a typical example of a Henry user.