The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 26, 2007, 10:48 AM   #1
Jaycolo

A little help please

Hello I picked up a new taurus gaucho in .45colt friday and just browsing through the book for it and it says Taurus revolvers were designed to use cartridges loaded to the limits shown below. But theres nothing below so does anyone have a idea of the range limit
Old March 26, 2007, 06:21 PM   #2
357shooter

If your going to use factory ammo in your gaucho stay with the standard colt loadings which have a pressure limit of 14,000 cup and under.All the major ammo makers sell standard 45.colt loadings.Most of the popular manufacturers all have cowboy loads for the 45.colt,which are a blast too shoot without hurting you new gun.Stay away from the heavy stuff like buffalo bore,and cor-bon,etc.Those loads are going to be too hot,and the pressure to great for your new Gaucho.If you decide to handload consult several manuals for standard 45. colt loads and stick with them.There will be a section in the manual for ruger and thompson center only,those loads are strictly for those beefier made guns.Have fun and good shooting.
Old March 26, 2007, 07:12 PM   #3
Jaycolo

Ok thanks Im gonna start reloading Ive been to most of the stores around town and it seems kinda hard to find the .45colts Ive read the abc's of reloading and picked up the speer reloading manual today to also look over before i get anything. anything else I need to know this isnt my first gun I got a xd 9mm and a marlin 336w 30/30 .410 and a old 20ga shotgun plus a older marlin 39a .22 and a old ruger single six .22lr and mag
Old March 27, 2007, 12:55 PM   #4
NavyLT

As far as reloading goes, a great setup to start with is the Lee Anniversery Set from Lee Precision. The two main mail order places for reloading are MidwayUSA and Midsouth Shooters Supply. I have bought from both and they are both excellent companies. I could only find cowboy ammo for my .45 Colt so I bought a couple of boxes of that and reload it after I shoot it. All you need is the Anniversery Kit from Lee, dies, and for bottleneck rifle cartridges such as the 30/30 you will need case length gages to trim the cases for whichever caliber you load. A set of calipers to measure overall length of your loaded rounds is helpful.

My wife shoots a lot of .460 S&W so reloading is a huge savings for us.