The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old September 4, 2002, 05:35 PM   #1
wantafastz28

Questions about a bushmaster vmatch.

How's it going? New the the site and was wondering if anyone could give me some feedback/opinions on the bushmaster vmatch? Interested in buying one or a gun that could is as accurate as possible for close to the same price. Pretty much looking for something thats ~$1000 for the whole package, thats accurate and doesnt have a expensive round. Sorry if its such a newbie question, not finding much info besides this place. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike S.
Old September 4, 2002, 05:52 PM   #2
r00t

I've been drooling over the Bushmaster Varminter.
They are just under a $1000 US
FWIW there is a review of it here:
http://www.gunblast.com/Bushmaster_Varminter.htm
Old September 4, 2002, 06:23 PM   #3
wantafastz28

Very nice looking gun, is the varmint that much better over the 20" plane jane vmatch?

Thanks again,
Mike
Old September 4, 2002, 08:58 PM   #4
r00t

AFAIK it has a better barrel and a better trigger.
I can't decide whether I want that rifle or a gun safe.
So many toys, so little $$$.
Old September 4, 2002, 09:54 PM   #5
2minkey

difference between the varminter and the vmatch is that the former is .223 non-chrome lined and the latter is 5.56 and chrome lined. cheap ammo can be had both both, cheap serious ammo can be had for the 5.56 (e.g. winchester q3131a). varminter will be a bit more accurate, but not much. real cool looking free float handguard on the varminter though. sorta a toss up.
Old September 4, 2002, 10:39 PM   #6
wantafastz28

Cool....thanks for the feedback guys...really helping me out here.....also looking into a remington 700 pss, but i dont like bolt actions all that much...maybe it will be my second rifle

Mike
Old September 4, 2002, 11:55 PM   #7
El Rojo

If I didn't live in the PRK (People's Republik of Kalifornia), I would have most likely bought a Bushmaster V-Match. Even though I am not an AR owner, here is something for you to think about. Whatever you buy, buy a nice lower. So get the V-match or Varminter. Now say you get the Verminter, you have a long 24 or 26" barrel on it. Say you want a shorter barrel, like the 16" v-match, all you have to do is buy a new upper for only like $400-500. They are interchangable and you can install the new upper in like seconds (maybe minutes, again I am not an owner, I just know they are interchangable and quickly).

Whatever you decide, it is good to see you here at The Firing Line. I was once a newby just like yourself, asking questions about highpower for the first time. Now look at me, getting close to 1700 posts and I have been here for getting close to three years. If you want to find out anything about guns, this is the place. If you want to stay atuned to 2nd Amendment news from all over the country and have some good debates, stick around. If you have anymore questions just ask one of us or e-mail me and I will do my best to help you out here. Again, WELCOME!
Old September 5, 2002, 05:06 PM   #8
wantafastz28

Thanks

I just wanted to say thanks for the welcome. I plan on being here for a while with cool/knowledgeable ppl like you . I'm most likely gonna get the varminter, but there is a remington 700 at the local gun store calling my name...i really dont want a bolt action rifle but its a clean gun and is a .308 only problem is its only a 20" instead of a 24-26"(maybe it will be my second gun). But I'll let ya guys know what I pick and how i like it. I'm hearing a 7mm round is also another good route to go for distance but a little expensive side for the rounds. Going to be looking into that soon.

Thanks!!

Mike S.
Old September 5, 2002, 05:24 PM   #9
dZ

compromise

buy an AR-10

Old September 5, 2002, 06:33 PM   #10
Swamp Yankee

First order of business, Welcome to TFL.

I have the V-Match carbine. Only mod I made was to have the trigger worked on so it's now a clean 3 to 3-1/2 pounds. The rifle shoots very well. Not uncommon to put a 20 round clip into a 2-1/2 inch target dot at 100 yards from the bench.
On the other hand based upon your posts I believe dZ is on the right track.
Take Care
Old September 5, 2002, 11:25 PM   #11
GLOCKT

what I did.

I bought the AK/shorty carbine with break,and just ordered the V-match 24 fluted barrel assembly.Cant wait till it's delivered and sling some lead 200 and out.
You might check out the AR's on Rock River Arms
Also check out J&T Distributing they sell the same assemblies built or you build kits at a very nice price.It's all name brand stuff like Shaw barrels and Colt or FN lower's.
Why I went back to Bushmaster is a single producer concept
SAFE-SHOOTING!
Old September 6, 2002, 08:28 PM   #12
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I played hockshop for a buddy of mine on a Bushmaster match target, 20". It came with a Tasco 6x24 and a stock trigger. The scope works just fine. Even with the mediocre trigger, the groups were easily held to 1/2 MOA.

FWIW, Art