The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Closed Thread

Old July 10, 2008, 09:32 PM   #1
NanoLube

NanoLube Test Results

NanoLube TM test results should be posted here.

www.hyprlube.com

Last edited by NanoLube; July 10, 2008 at 09:33 PM. Reason: added TM
Old July 10, 2008, 10:27 PM   #2
Horseman

I'm halfway through my sample of Nanolube and here's what I've noticed. The lube goes a loooong way. It's fairly light as far as lubes go. It's somewhere between Rem Oil and CLP for thickness. When applied to a bolt just one drop can be spread out enough to lube the whole thing. It looks like there's almost no lube but I you rub your finger across it, it's very slippery.

I have a plastic tub FULL of gun lubes/rust preventatives that measures 8" x 16". I have used most of the major lubes on the market. I do think Nanolube is a truely unique product. It's clearly not just lube. I lube the bolts with a drop of oil on my fingertips. There is usually a certain amount of resistance especially when you start to run low of lube. Nanolube seems almost friction free and my finger never really felt dry even with just one drop on the entire bolt. All in all I think it's an excellent lube and at least as good or better than almost every other lube I have.

I still have to run the corrosion test but as a lube it's pretty darn good IMO.

I will add I have no affiliation with Nanolube and never even heard of the stuff until last week while on this forum. I'd like to know what others thought of it too.

Last edited by Horseman; July 11, 2008 at 10:38 AM.
Old July 10, 2008, 10:42 PM   #3
Jim Watson

First trial of Skeptic's Sample on Kahr E9. Only DA that my trigger pull gauge will read.

With residues of whatthehellever lube out of the bureau drawer, the trigger pull was 7 lb 0 oz, very consistently.

I rubbed off the action contact points with a paper towel but did not solvent wash them.
I applied Nanoo lube to the striker lug, firing pin obstruction, sear cam and safety cam and dryfired about 40 times.
Trigger pull is now 7 lb 3 oz average but with more variation. Subjectively "smoother."

Next trial on something I am comfortable taking apart and relubing ALL moving parts.
Old July 11, 2008, 02:39 PM   #4
MisterWilson

I just received my sample the other day and this will be my placeholder for when I can get around to go shooting and perhaps buy some brake cleaner to remove the existing lube from a few parts.
Old July 12, 2008, 04:48 AM   #5
NanoLube

NanoLube TM is not designed to stop corrosion, it designed to protect surfaces from wear and reduce friction by providing a nanometer thick, hard surface barrier. Even though there is a corrosion inhibitor within the synthetic carrier oil - you use so darn little oil there is not much chemical protection.

I suggest after the nanomaterial has been fully worked in, apply Ezzox.

Best regards,
Chris Arnold
Old July 12, 2008, 05:52 AM   #6
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

So far I have used my sample on an old Mossberg pump, Very fresh Maverick 88 and my Ruger MKIII 22/45. I will say that I feel it improved my Mossberg even though I had already cleaned it. It *may* have helped the 88 just a touch so far, and the ruger... well it was already pretty smooth...
It is yet to be fire tested in any of the 3 and will update as soon as I do shoot them some.
Brent
Old July 12, 2008, 10:37 AM   #7
Wildalaska

I never got mine. The gunsmiths are disapointed, they were looking for a new wonderproduct to sit on a shelf with all the others..

WildcuriousisntitAlaska TM
Old July 12, 2008, 10:59 AM   #8
Horseman

Chris

I've used Eezox for years and gave it up because of the trichloroethylene giving me headaches. I also know Eezox EATS just about anything, even painted surfaces. Are you suggesting Eezox over the Nanolube will not remove the Nanolube? I also consider corrosion more harmful to firearms than lubrication. Guns require so little lube most can run perfectly being almost dry. I have noticed things are more slick with Nanolube but I need corrosion protection too.
Old July 12, 2008, 12:50 PM   #9
Yithian

It will get there Wild.
I got mine Yesterday, hope to use some today before the hunt/extermination of pigs.
Old July 12, 2008, 02:10 PM   #10
NanoLube

Horseman - any corrosion preventative applied over NanoLube TM would be fine, and nothing you can apply is going to eat, dissolve, dislodge or destroy the NanoDiamond that causes those slippery surfaces.
Old July 13, 2008, 08:20 PM   #11
armedtotheteeth

Well Yithian got his Nanolube.
Nanos first job was to fix the horrible trigger on my stock Ar15. It started at 5 pounds 4 ounces. I felt like it had about a pound of gravel in it, with alot of creep grind a little more creep and then a litle more grind.
After Nano treatment, it weighed in at 4 pounds 4 ouces reducing pull 1 pound and removing alot of the grit and crud feeling in it.

Worked for my Ar

Now his Ak with adjustable 2 stage trigger
started out a crisp 4 pounds 4 ounces. after nanolube, it cosictenly pulled at 2 pounds. it is a nice trigger
he had to readjust it to 3 1 /2 pounds. 2 pounds for a battle rifle is way too light.

Good stuff. when this bottle is gone, in the next 14 years or so, ill order some for myself. Dont expect to get alot of repeat customers. this crap lasts forever.
Old July 13, 2008, 08:46 PM   #12
sneaky pete

??Sample for testing???

Old Sneaky here:--Nanolube--How does one get a sample for testing??? I've been shooting since '52 and have tried everything from Bacon Fat to licquid Moly (slippery as snot on a door knob--dirty as hell but still using it). Retired M/sgt with 30yrs and have fired practically everything from .22CBcaps to 8" howitzers(SP). Currently shooting a 1924 gevar m41/B 6.5 Swed sniper that I baby a lot. Would be inerested in trying your product . THANX--SNEAKY
Old July 13, 2008, 10:52 PM   #13
Yithian

ATTT told my story.

That little bottle does spread it out thin.
ATTT: 2 rifles and a 1911 clone pistol.
Just one Saiga308, trigger and rails, for me so far.
More than half of the NanoLube in the little bottle is still there.

Freaked me out with a 2Lb trigger pull on a single stage trigger for an AK.
So, I added just-a-nudge of a second stage and got it back up.

Once the nano was worked in, action cycled and safe-fired over 200 times, I added CLP to replace lube to the rest of the machinery.
The action is "Slip-n-Slide" now.

The next application will be another buddies 44Mag Desert Eagle and my Saiga 223.
I am still waiting for the stock and pistol grip to come in for the conversion of the 223.

All that is left for this thread, is too see how long the nano material stays in the friction zones, and what 'wear' appears, or not.

We didn't get to the range this weekend. But we are planning a shoot, and hunt, this coming Sat.
I am loading up some hand-loads, 155gr A-Max Molly with 44gr of RL-15, for the Saiga308.
The 155gr is about the top of the grain weight for the twist in this Saiga.
I figure 20 without nano in the barrel, 10 rounds to apply the nano, and 20 rounds with nano 'set' in the barrel should suffice for an accuracy test.
The hard part will be my patience in letting the barrel cool between 5 round strings.
Maybe I will take the Bore Snake and clean between strings, omitting the first two shots from measurement, to clear any solvent or lube.
Old July 13, 2008, 11:02 PM   #14
ndking1126

J Watson--

So I'm reading your post to say that the trigger pull is actually heavier (on average) but feels smoother?? That doesn't seem to make sense.
Old July 13, 2008, 11:33 PM   #15
NanoLube

Sneaky - you get the last free sample, just private message the shipping info and it will ship tomorrow.

<Old Sneaky here:--Nanolube--How does one get a sample for testing??? I've been shooting since '52 and have tried everything from Bacon Fat to licquid Moly (slippery as snot on a door knob--dirty as hell but still using it). Retired M/sgt with 30yrs and have fired practically everything from .22CBcaps to 8" howitzers(SP). Currently shooting a 1924 gevar m41/B 6.5 Swed sniper that I baby a lot. Would be inerested in trying your product . THANX--SNEAKY
Old July 15, 2008, 09:29 AM   #16
Horseman

Chris

I'm enjoying the sample of Nanolube. I have lubed a couple of rifles and more recently a semi-auto pistol. I have a question though. After shooting, when I am wiping down parts with solvent, are you saying I do not have to reapply the Nanolube? It's on there even after wiping off parts with solvent and rags? I have been too busy to get to the range lately but I will be testing it out on a prairie dog hunt later this week. I'm just wondering how this product is meant to be applied since I'd typically re-lube after wiping parts down.

If the Nanolube particals have to be ground off to be removed I'm guessing I'd hardly ever have to reapply it under normal usage.

Last edited by Horseman; July 15, 2008 at 03:26 PM.
Old July 15, 2008, 09:59 AM   #17
johnwilliamson062

Are we talking about synthetic diamonds or buckminster fullerines? And if bucky balls c-60 or c-80? I have to imagine that is really what this is. Carbon like diamond, but closer to graphite, just much stronger and stable. Maybe more like a mix of the two. Very expensive to produce when I was looking at them about 7 years ago.
Old July 15, 2008, 09:24 PM   #18
NanoLube

John,

It is exactly nanodiamond and not C60, soot or graphite. Besides, bucky balls cannot lubricate like my material or someone would already be selling it, except C60 collapses under pressure because the particles are hollow - while my nanospheres are solid and according to Argonne they are nearer to C20,000 (at 4nm).

Last edited by NanoLube; July 15, 2008 at 09:25 PM. Reason: (at 4nm)
Old July 15, 2008, 10:32 PM   #19
Horseman

Chris

Do you have anything to add after reading my question?
Old July 16, 2008, 12:04 AM   #20
Sidetracked

I intended to semi-scientifically test my Taurus PT-138 today. However, my push/pull guage was broken. So, I have to go with perceived differences, instead of measured.

I wanted a comparison of multiple lubes, so I went with my other favorites.
Labelle Oil #102 - It's actually a model train lubricant, but works very well in firearms.
Shooters Choice 'FP-10' - nothing special, it's just oil.
NanoLube - NanoLube(NL) with no additional oils.
NanoLube + Labelle 102 - I wanted to see how an additional oil might help.

All parts listed were cleaned with 90% Isopropyl rubbing alcohol initially, and between each test.

Trigger: the trigger mechanism in this pistol doesn't lend itself well to any type of smoothing, or special work. I applied each lube to the sear and all components of the striker and striker 'safety' assembly.
This was a tie: Labelle 102 and NL+Labelle seemed the same. If it had been a scientific test with a tie, that would disqualify NL as an extra, unneeded additive.

Barrel to slide contact points:
Nothing here seemed to make a difference. The mating surface on the interior of the slide is pretty rough. It was just as smooth dry as it was lubricated.

Everything else:
I tried testing recoil guide rod, recoil spring, guide rod to barrel, and slide to frame resistance. But... it was just too damn hard to tell. Even without the recoil spring installed, the design of the weapon doesn't lend itself well to this testing.

So.... this test says basically nothing. I found it interesting that Labelle #102 seemed to do better than NanoLube, but I am far from coming to a conclusion. I seem to have wasted my time with this one.

Give me about 2-3 weeks, so I can due further testing on some other specimens from my collection.
Old July 16, 2008, 01:21 PM   #21
Horseman

I'm not sure about having to be ground off. You can take a bolt that has been lubed with Nanolube, wipe it off with a rag, and when you put it back in the gun it feels dry. In this respect Nanolube appears to function just like every other oil I have.
Old July 16, 2008, 05:58 PM   #22
mellow_c

Slip 2000

I'm sticking with Slip 2000. It the best stuff i've ever used. It's a CLP. But I bought it for it's excellent lubrication. The SLIP 2000 EWL is even better. Search it on Google and read about it. Great stuff! I've made the switch to using Slip 2000 to Clean Lube and Protect ALL of my guns, no exceptions, I use nothing else!

I use all my old solvents to clean out brushes when I'm done cleaning, and use all my old oil and lubes to lube my AK-47 mags, and fix squeaky doors and what not
Old July 17, 2008, 12:30 AM   #23
p99guy

you would still use your slip 2000, even if you used this product on the high friction points( it dont replace your regular double purified bear grease for the all over slather of corrosion protection ect.)
Old July 17, 2008, 10:07 PM   #24
NanoLube

Sidetracked,

Why are you mixing NanoLube with Labelle? Labelle is a model RR lube and throughly tested on TestTraxx - with NanoLube alone in the gearboxes reducing amperage power draw by 300 - 800%, something Labelle did not do. Try it down the barrel to make it non stick - but please, use only NanoLube.

When anyone treats their bolt with NanoLube, cycle it at least 50 Times before wiping the carrier oil off and it will slide better than using any oil on the bolt. With normal oil you just apply it - but with NanoLube you must work the nanomaterial into the friction parts by cycling those parts. NanoLube prevents wear that normal oil is helpless to prevent, but if you don't need that protection - then keep using chemical lubricants.
Old July 17, 2008, 10:18 PM   #25
Wildalaska

Notice how I didnt get any

WildwonderwhyAlaska TM
Closed Thread