The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old August 3, 2008, 09:07 PM   #1
MTMilitiaman

Muzzle threading kits

I am looking to install the flash suppressor or compensator on my WASR. Because it was bought during the ban, its muzzle isn't threaded. I've had bad experiences with the pin on threaded muzzle caps and such and would like to just do it right and thread the muzzle. I need to know where the best place to buy the necessary taps and jigs and whatnot is and about how much it will cost. I assume someone must have thought to put everything that is required into a kit...

Also, any input as to what exact thread pattern to use and the more effective suppressors or compensator on the market, would be appreciated.

I was think 14x1 LH is standard? And maybe the basic AK-74 style compensator for controllability?
Old August 3, 2008, 09:12 PM   #2
bedlamite

http://www.brownells.com/

How many are you going to thread? If it's only 1 or 2 then buying the tooling isn't worth it, just find a decent gunsmith in your area and pay him to do it.
Old August 3, 2008, 09:22 PM   #3
MTMilitiaman

Are the tools that expensive or the procedure that difficult?

I would just be doing mine and my bro's.
Old August 3, 2008, 09:31 PM   #4
dglockster

To thread the muzzle of your rifle, you don't have to buy the threading equipment.

‘ATAK, Inc.” rents the threading device for $23 shipped to you and you pay to ship it back to him. If you are interested in renting, you can go to this thread to contact him: http://www.gunsnet.net/forums/showthread.php?t=317428

The kit contains; 14x1lh die, die handle, threading oil, both 5.45 and 7.62 Thread Alignment Tools (TAT), and its own set of instructions. 6.62 caliber rifles use the 7.62 TAT.

Several years ago, I threaded the muzzle of my SAR-1 and it’s not that difficult to do. However, if you don't have access to a vise to hold the rifle, you will need a friend to help by holding the rifle steady in a vertical position while you do the threading.

Also, remember that threading the barrel increases the number of required U.S. compliance parts from 5 to 6, so get a U.S. made muzzle device for the rifle.

This is a good online tutorial on threading the barrel of a rifle.

http://home.midsouth.rr.com/ak47ak74/Threading.htm

I am currently waiting for one of the kits to arrive so that I can thread the barrel of my SAR-1.