The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 29, 2008, 04:01 PM   #1
mukibetser

DA Trigger Reach

Hi. I own a CZ P-01. The reach for the trigger in DA mode is a bit long for my stubby index finger. I find myself needing to turn my hand slightly, which sort of screws up my grip. The reach in SA mode is perfect. Can the position of the trigger in DA mode be adjusted by a gunsmith so that my index finger can comfortably reach the trigger and the gun better "fits" my hand? Is that part of a standard "trigger job"? Thanks.
Old October 29, 2008, 08:27 PM   #2
cens

mukibetser,

I had a P-01 briefly but had the same issue as you are having. I couldn't find a convenient, off-the-shelf solution. It is possible that a gunsmith could modify the trigger shape, but it may be more effort than it is worth.

Chris
Old October 30, 2008, 05:23 AM   #3
varoadking

CZ's are known for having one of the longest and most uncomfortable trigger reach.

Aside from the initial DA pull, that's really the only negative, but certainly a significant one.
Old October 30, 2008, 05:28 AM   #4
WESHOOT2

I am confused

Does this model allow for cocked-and-locked use?

If so, your "problem" is (so) solved.
Old October 30, 2008, 10:02 AM   #5
Don P

Trigger reach

Most probably this cannot be changed. From reading the Beretta forums many have asked the same question about the 92FS and the answer is because of DA/SA it's almost impossible to change the amount of travel of the trigger because of the fact of DA/SA. If reach is a problem than the pistol is too big for your hands or your hands are too small for the pistol. Fact of life, no one pistol will fit everyones hand.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old October 30, 2008, 10:12 AM   #6
WESHOOT2

cloning

My three EAA Witnesses, CZ clones all, allow for proper trigger reach when used correctly.
Just not in DA mode.
Old October 30, 2008, 11:13 AM   #7
briang2ad

"Just not in DA mode"

WELL - this goes to my endless observation of the P01. IF CZ pulled its head out of its FPOC, it would make ANOTHER model with a manual safety. The P01 is a GREAT gun with a significant flaw - it needs a manual safety. The manual safety does this:

- Appeals more to Americans
- Allows for two real modes of carry (you can manually decock safely - and its about as easy as the CZ decocker).
- Makes it MUCH easier to work on the gun
- Allows one to use a 'high thumb' hold
- Allows a PD officer to keep the weapon in a mode safer to him/her

Oh well....
Old October 30, 2008, 01:19 PM   #8
mukibetser

thanks. that's what i was afraid of. since this is a range/fun gun, not really a big deal since I can cock the pistol before first shot. from the comments, i gather that a SA pistol with manual safety will be more friendly to my stubby index finger. good to know in case i ever get a carry permit, chances of which are virtually nil here in good 'ol New Jersey. I also have a 3" S&W J frame in .357, which fits my hand like a glove and would be my go to gun at home if needed.
Old October 30, 2008, 06:45 PM   #9
JDG

Believe it or not, the P01 has a shorter trigger in DA than the old CZ75. Its not much shorter, but some can tell the difference. You can safely carry at the half cocked position, to shorten the pull. I installed a 17# hammer spring, and it helped a bunch
Old October 30, 2008, 07:31 PM   #10
varoadking

Quote:
The manual safety...Appeals more to Americans
Not to this American...