The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old December 2, 2005, 07:12 PM   #1
Dead-Nuts-Zero

"OLN" - Outdoor Life Network TV

Is there anyoue out there who is getting a little tired of Rodeo's and Bull Riding everytime you turn on OLN?

Maybe it's just my bad luck, but seems this programming is on about 80% of the time I tune in.

Nothing against this Bull - Crap but I think it's dominating the network and I assume it's because it's an inexpensive show to produce?

I want to see more hunting and shooting and fishing and motor sports, like ATV and Snow Sled racing etc.

Seems to be plenty of S. America dove shooting and S.America fishing on alot too. Maybe I'm jealous because I can't afford to take a trip to S. America where the guides and native servants do all my retrieving for me and my dog.

I really do like these shows, but I think it's overbearing at times.

What are your thoughts?
Old December 2, 2005, 08:15 PM   #2
psycho nut

Amen brother. They have a lot of stuff and it's all not very good, sighting in is okay though, could be better.
Old December 2, 2005, 08:27 PM   #3
huntatnight

Me too, I don't want to know how to vacuum seal my food, or watch endless hours of rodeo, or watch ice hockey........... give me more hunting!!!
Old December 2, 2005, 08:31 PM   #4
therealsteamer

Tivo

This is where TIVO comes in real handy. Plus you can blast through all the commercials....
Old December 3, 2005, 06:31 PM   #5
Glenn E. Meyer

Too much Survivor!
Old December 3, 2005, 08:51 PM   #6
jefnvk

I wish I got OLN. Dang college, three asian channels but no outdoors channels. Or FX or SPEED, for that matter.

You guys don't want OLN, you want The Outdoors Channel. Big difference. OLN seems to be more on the pro sports, Outdoors Channel more on the hunting/shooting.

I also wish I got the Outdoors Channel.
Old December 3, 2005, 09:14 PM   #7
psycho nut

I do get the Outdoor Channel and I watch it more then OLN too.
Old December 3, 2005, 09:22 PM   #8
Eghad

The DVR is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Create a time to record any new shows for American Rifleman, Guns and Ammo and GunTec it skips the shows I have seen and records any new shows....on the Outdoor Channel

Or if I am in the middle of the show and I get the urge to make a fridge run...hit the pause button, take my time.....

NRA Life Member
Old December 3, 2005, 09:46 PM   #9
rangermonroe

I grew tired of OLN and its endless tour -de-prance, and longed for something to get the blood flowing, other than Knife Infomercials.

So I ordered the outdoor channel from dirrecttv for $2 a month...happy boy am I!

I do wish thay had a little more "techy" stuff on guns, camping, and such.

BTW, am I the only guy who likes Survivorman on the science channel;?
Old December 3, 2005, 11:25 PM   #10
hksigwalther

Cox Cable had OLN for a very short time a few years ago. Although I still have it, i went and installed DISH also to get it (along with a few other channels I wanted). A couple of months ago DISH dropped OLN for some type of disagreement and at first I was a little disappointed. But looking back on it, I did and still do watch Outdoor Cahnnel much more that I ever watched OLN. Now don't really care if it comes back or not. Midway's GunTec show rules. Also, there is the Guns and Ammo show.
Old December 5, 2005, 05:39 PM   #11
Dead-Nuts-Zero

I like the idea of 2 bucks/mo. for the Outdoor channel. However, I think I will write to the OLN and send copies of it to some of their major sponsors. I doubt it will do much good, but sometimes all the little things add up.

Survivor was ok when it was the first reality show on the major networks. I outgrew that the first season. Now seems whenever I see it on OLN I can't switch to something else quick enough. Then there are all the re-runs of everything I have seen many times before. I think several of the cable chanels must rely on re-runs. I have seen every show about Las Vegas atleast 4 times on one network or another.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who is sick of it.

I have not seen the Gun Tec show yet. I hope to see it soon. It sounds like a good show. I see it advertised on the Midway website all the time. Maybe Midway will get a letter. I send good letters sometimes too.

Maybe if this thread takes off with a few dozen replies, we can express our frustrations and let OLN know what the real sportsmen think.
Old December 5, 2005, 08:09 PM   #12
NGP58

I agree that as time goes by, OLN's lineup has gone "down the tubes." One night I was waiting for Shooting USA to come on at 6 p.m. They had pre-empted it with a Power Boat racing show.:barf: I e-mailed Jim Scoutten from his website, he replied that it's "beyond his control" where and when they air his shows but believe me , he isn't happy about it. He thanked me for my concern and asked me to send OLN an e-mail (there a link on his site) He told me that they might not respond, but they do take their e-mails seriously. The more people that tell them that their network "sucks" lately,they might do something about it. BTW...I e-mailed them and didn't get a response.. not supprised..........Norm.