The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 5, 2008, 06:17 AM   #1
SKULLANDCROSSBONES65

.270, What heavy projectile to choose ?

G'day, what heavy projectile to choose ? This is my next decision to make. At the moment all I have are 90 grain sierra HP. These will be OK most of the time. I have (about 80) 130 grain SP factory rounds. I've taken Deer and feral pigs with these, now I have started reloading they will last a lot longer. I would like to have some heavy rounds available for large game. I may get an opportunity to hunt Water Buffalo in the Northern Territory (AUSTRALIA) Do you think a .270 is up to the job on sutch a large animal and if so what projectiles would you recommend to use/avoid ?
That was a Water Buffalo in the Paul Hogan movie 'Crocodile Dundee'. The 'Walkabout Hotel' is only just down the road about 200 km (120 miles).
I would hate to miss out on that trip simply because I did not have the right ammo ready to go.
Old October 5, 2008, 06:29 AM   #2
azsixshooter

How about a 160 gr Nosler Partition? I don't know if it's enough for your Buff hunt, but the Nosler 6 manual shows several powders maxing out at around 2800 fps with that bullet. The numbers don't look bad either: BC- .434, SD- .298

Australia must be a great place to hunt! I hope you have a successful trip.
"Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that." --Saul Tigh
http://sargesrollcall.blogspot.com/2...s-no-more.html
Old October 5, 2008, 06:51 AM   #3
steveno

the 160 grain Nosler was by far the best shooting bullet in My Ruger #1A. 3 shots from a cold barrel were always under an inch
Old October 5, 2008, 07:25 AM   #4
mkg

G'day S&C,

I've never hunted water buffalo or any buffalo for that matter . I have seen on TV people hunt cape buffalo and that is a big animal that can become very dangerous if wounded. So the intent would be to anchor the animal as quickly as possible ( usually a high shoulder shot ) I doubt that a 270 regardless of bullet will have enough energy to shatter the shoulder on such a large animal. That leaves the spine or brain stem ( heart/lung shot would be effective but it would take time ).

With that as my back ground , I would think a with a .270 you'd be slightly under gunned so make up for bute force with accurate shot placement .

as azsixshooter said a well made bullet like the partion as heavy as will shoot accurately in your gun would be a must. Above all it must be accurate.

It's a long stretch between a 375 H&H Magnum with a 300 grn bullet and a 270 shooting 160's.

Mike
Old October 5, 2008, 07:41 AM   #5
azsixshooter

I read that Jack O'Connor took Cape Buff with .270 Win, but I don't know what weight bullet he used. As I've read so many times before, though, there is a big difference between is it merely capable of killing the animal or is it an effective choice for ethically hunting the animal. I imagine a lot of people will tell you that it's not enough, but in the end the decision will be yours to make.

Here's an article you might want to have a look at, though:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/gun_game.htm

"Bullets for all CXP4 game should have a SD of .300 or higher. 3,500 ft. lbs. of muzzle energy should be considered the minimum for Cape buffalo and the other bovines, with 4,000+ ft. lbs. recommended. The minimum calibers usually mentioned are .338 shooting a 250 grain bullet, 9.3mm shooting a 286 grain bullet and .375 shooting a 300 grain bullet. In many parts of Africa .375 caliber is the legal minimum for hunting lion and all CXP4 game, while other countries have a 9.3mm minimum, so check the regulations before you go."
"Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that." --Saul Tigh
http://sargesrollcall.blogspot.com/2...s-no-more.html
Old October 5, 2008, 09:08 PM   #6
Jseime

Jeeze I would say that you might be undergunned for that adventure. If it were me I would gun-up some to something like... oh a .45-70 but im sort of a pansy haha.

I am a big fan of nosler Partitions in guns that are on the marginal side of the game you are going to be shooting. I had a .243 that I loaded with 100 grain Partitions and that little sucker knocked over some pretty good sized mule deer.

Load heavy, well constructed bullets and load em as hot as you can and ask some people that shoot water buffalo... I really shouldnt give you advice here because I am from the Canadian Prairies and have never shot a Water Buffalo haha.
Old October 5, 2008, 10:50 PM   #7
butta9999

G day again skulls, hope the info i provided was of some use. Try the 150gr in woodleigh. They are Australian made and half the price of the Partition. My mate shot a NT buff with his .270win using factory 130gr softpoints. I have seen the 150gr Woodleighs in use and they hold up real good on big game.

I use the 200gr Woodleigh in my .300wm, i usually get over 90% weight retention with recovered projectiles.

Using the Woodleighs on smaller game will act more like a solid but on larger game big boars and buff they have good controlled expansion.

Hope this is of some help,

Butta..
Old October 12, 2008, 08:27 PM   #8
Sagexx2

.270,what heavy projectile to choose?

In my custom made .270,for years I have hunted Elk and Moose,never lost
a critter,never tracked over 40 yards. I used a 170 gr. Speer SP. They do
not make this bullet any more. I used 56 gr. of H4831, #200 CCI primer.
I still have appox., 30 bullets left in their box. Any critter will fall IF hit in
the critical area,with most hunting caliber. Good Hunting.