The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 16, 2001, 10:06 PM   #1
Apeach

Beretta cougar

Ok, I've seen the beretta cougar pistols and heard some nice things about it, but what's the deal with the flip up barrels? What's the purpose of that, and is it a good thing or not? Any of you who own this gun, thanks for answering.
Old June 17, 2001, 01:07 AM   #2
MilesTeg

The Cougar series do not have the flip up barrel. There is a .380 version of the Cheetah and all Tomcat's (.32 ACP) have the flip up barrel. The flip up is nice for people who might have a tough time cycling the slide or like the ease of loading/unloading the chamber. Nothing wrong with the design that I am aware of. You can still load a magazine and cycle the slide if you prefer and not use the flip up barrel. Not really a question of good or bad but rather like/dislike and need. You might cycle the slide but the wife/gf/grandma or whatever can use the flip up with little effort.

If you are talking about the rotating barrel in the Cougar. They work fine and absorb some of the recoil. I have the 8045F and really like it and recoil is somewhat less than in another similar sized .45 pistol. Not enough, however, to make it the only reason to buy the series. I like .45 ACP and I like Beretta - just had to have it when it came out. I only have 2 gripes about the pistol and they are not big ones. The magazine should have been made to hold 10 rounds instead of 8. It is big enough and if Para can make the P10 magazine then Beretta should have been able to do the same with the Cougar. The other is the barrel length. You can only get the Cougar with a 3.5 inch barrel and not a 5 inch. The shorter barrel does make it easier to conceal but the rest of the pistol is fullsize.

Last edited by MilesTeg; June 18, 2001 at 12:58 AM.
Old June 17, 2001, 01:45 AM   #3
PreserveFreedom

I have no problems with my Cougar 8040. As stated, the barrel rotates but does not flip up.

Old June 17, 2001, 03:16 PM   #4
croyance

Flip-up barrels are in .380, .32 ACP, .25, and .22. They are great for older people with arthritis, who have a hard time working a slide. These people have defensive needs too, arguably more than we do.

The rotating barrel of the Cougar series helps with recoil, and supposedly helps with consistant accuracy. The barrel rotates, but doesn't change its linear position, so accuracy is consistant.
Old June 17, 2001, 05:27 PM   #5
bubbaturbo

As far as the flip up barrels on the Tomcats and Cheetahs go, I think that means they don't have extractors. That's something to be aware of when unloading the gun. You have to be sure to look in the chamber and not just cycle the slide. Isn't that right?
Old June 17, 2001, 11:19 PM   #6
PreserveFreedom

I could be wrong, but I think the flip ups still have an extractor. If they didn't, the shell may try to rechamber itself when a new one is supposed to feed.

Old June 17, 2001, 11:24 PM   #7
Ben

There is no conventional claw-type extractor on any of the smaller Beretta "flip-ups." I think the following round and it's upward pressure in the mag helps pop out the spent case... That's the way it is in my Jetfire at least.

Ben

Last edited by Ben; June 17, 2001 at 11:50 PM.
Old June 18, 2001, 12:26 AM   #8
Joe Klug

MilesTeg,

Like you, I have one of the 8045s. I just -had- to have one of the first .45 pistols Beretta ever made. It's nice enough and I use mine for CCW from time to time (I alternate between that and my CZ 75 Compact).

I agree that the magazine should have been made to hold 10 rounds. Can't understand what they were thinking there. The other gripe about barrel length is valid but I were going to choose my other gripe it would be the safety selector on the slide. I just -hate- the placement there. It does nothing but get in my way when operating the slide.

Overall though, it's a nice pistol and I'm glad I got one when I did. It's accurate and reliably feeds Hydrashock 230gr rounds. That's enough for me.

Joe
Old June 19, 2001, 05:46 PM   #9
ctc

I carry my Mini Cougar, 8040F, daily. Shoot about 3,500 rounds a year and no problems. Carries nicely, shoots superbly.