The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old April 15, 2024, 04:04 PM   #1
Disgruntled Taxpayer

1903 Springfield Sporterized Markings

I have a 1903 Springfield, it has been sporterized. I cannot see top of the rifle because it has a scope mount. The serial number is 1478272. The barrel is not a military barrel. On the barrel it is stamped HUBSTY 30-06. Any information on this rifle would be appreciated. Looked a several serial number verification websites. Thanks in advance. Martin Donohue.
Old April 17, 2024, 08:14 PM   #2
highpower3006

Not much to say. You have a high number receiver, therefore it is considered safe to shoot regular .30-06 ammo. As for Hubsty, I have no idea who that might be.

Unfortunately, unless it was made by someone like Griffin and Howe, sporters made on military rifles don't have a lot of interest or value these days. If the rifle is nicely done it will make a very nice hunting gun and it should be enjoyed as what it is.