The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 30, 2024, 11:29 AM   #1
Mollymaster

What do I have here? .375 WBY

I inherited this rifle from my father 30 yrs ago and stored it my safe since then. I cant find anything about it on the web. Im not even sure who manufactured it. Its in exc cond and has. Belgium made FN action. If anyone can help ID this rifle I would appreciate it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_0246.jpeg (181.2 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_0247.jpeg (177.4 KB, 116 views)
Old March 30, 2024, 11:50 AM   #2
taylorce1

It's a Flaig's Custom rifle built on an FN action. I believe Flaig's was a gunshop in Pennsylvania. It would be awesome to see more pictures of the whole rifle.
Old March 30, 2024, 12:00 PM   #3
Mollymaster

Its a beauty and very low round count. Here a video of it. My brother in law was asking if Id sell it. What would this gun sell for?

flaigs 375 WBY
Old March 30, 2024, 12:34 PM   #4
Nathan

It looks like a custom commercial Mauser made by Flaig’s.
https://www.gunboards.com/threads/fl...m-guns.323565/

https://historicpittsburgh.org/islan...1-hpicnpl-0005

https://forum.nosler.com/threads/flaigs-rifles.34922/

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...Flaig_s_rifles
Old March 30, 2024, 12:52 PM   #5
taylorce1

I can't give you a value on it, there are people who can value it better than I could. I can tell you the only two Flaig's customs that sold on gunbroker.com were sold for less than $1000. One was an FN Mauser as well, but the stock was in really poor shape.

Any Flaig's rifle that is starting at or above $1000 isn't getting any bids. Before you go and list it on gunbroker.com realize there are a lot of fees. Also shipping rifles is approaching astronomical prices, without an FFL and a commercial account.

Your father definitely had a nice rifle that he left you. The stock is very vintage Weterby in shape with the Monte Carlo style stock with rollover comb. It's a classic Weatherby cartridge so there will be people interested in that rifle.

Good luck with selling it.
Old March 30, 2024, 12:56 PM   #6
stagpanther

I'm guessing it was originally intended as a big 5 safari rifle; especially with the sighting system which looks intended for close-in but full-view awareness.
Old March 30, 2024, 12:58 PM   #7
ligonierbill

Oh my, that is a classic. I actually visited Flaig's with my Dad many years ago. With that beautiful stock, I would say minimum $2,500 (if you like your BIL). I'd certainly give that for it and consider it "grand theft".
Old March 30, 2024, 01:05 PM   #8
Mollymaster

I know what you mean. Im 60yo and no intension of going to Africa for Cape Buffalo, or even test firing it. LOL looks like could dislocate my shoulder. But I find myself just gazing at the stock. Its a work of art really. I have the reloading dies to go with it. Dad must of thought he would be shooting it more than he actually did. I dont have boys to pass these guns down to and honestly dont like my son in law enough to bless him with my collection. Dont like him at all. So Im torn on what to do with it before I expire.
Thanks for the good info. Please keep it coming
Old March 30, 2024, 03:16 PM   #9
stagpanther

Quote:
Oh my, that is a classic. I actually visited Flaig's with my Dad many years ago. With that beautiful stock, I would say minimum $2,500 (if you like your BIL). I'd certainly give that for it and consider it "grand theft".
That does look a lot like an older custom Mark 5 high grade stock--whaddya think?

SPECTACULAR rifle.

@ the OP looking at that porting and generous buttpad--I think you might be surprised that it might not hit as hard as you think--I haven't shot the 375 but have shot the 416--essentially the same cartridge but necked up a bit to a bigger bullet. A good firm hold and take the shove (don't give it a running head-start) plus you won't have to worry about getting sucker punched by a scope if it muzzle flips--which I doubt it would with that muzzle porting.

Last edited by stagpanther; March 30, 2024 at 03:26 PM.
Old March 30, 2024, 07:16 PM   #10
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ligonierbill
With that beautiful stock, I would say minimum $2,500
I'm not trying to offend, but I think most people would be an easy pass at $2500. That rifle isn't one most people have a use for unless you're hunting Big 5 in Africa, or big bears in Alaska. I already have a .375 Ruger so my need or want for another .375 caliber rifle is not high.

To sell a rifle like for $2500 you're going to have to throw a very wide net to get it in front of the right buyers. I'd find an auction house like Rock Island or others of the like and get it in one of their auctions. It probably isn't worth it for one rifle but if you have more quality rifles like that one that you're ready to part with you might go that route. They'll market you collection to help you get top dollar, but again I don't know the fees you'll have to pay.

Last edited by taylorce1; March 31, 2024 at 02:13 AM.
Old March 30, 2024, 07:26 PM   #11
Nathan

Quote:
I know what you mean. Im 60yo and no intension of going to Africa for Cape Buffalo, or even test firing it. LOL looks like could dislocate my shoulder. But I find myself just gazing at the stock. It’s a work of art really. I have the reloading dies to go with it.
It would be worth your while to get or make some brass and shoot it. 375 Weatherby is an improved 375 h&h. While neither is a light kicker, it won’t be bad to shoot. You can make low recoil rounds with 235gr bullets.
Old March 30, 2024, 10:55 PM   #12
44 AMP
Staff

You have a beautiful example of a fine custom build rifle in a niche caliber. It has about all the bells and whistles popular through the 70s, before the bottom dropped out of the market for blue metal and fine wood.

No doubt the rifle was most likely made to someone's order, and was done by people who were masters at what they did.

The stock is done in Weatherby style, but not a direct line for line copy. The wood to metal fit is outstanding. It's magnaported, a nice touch. Good peep sight, commercial "side safety trigger, about the only thing left off was some kind of express sight on the barrel. Wonderful work.

Unfortunately on today's market, its probably not worth what it cost to build it.
Not in terms of $ but in terms of $value.

The caliber works against its appeal to most outside of a very small subset of collectors and hunter/shooters. That kind of rifle and the work that went into it was several hundred dollars back when gas was $0.60 a gallon, for premium!!

I have no idea the market value of it, today, but the market is different from what it was when that rifle was made up. Today, it's stainless and synthetic that sells, and the lower the price, the better, it seems.

You would probably get the best price at auction, and I mean by a reputable firearms auction house, not Gunbroker, open to every cheapskate in the world. Gunbroker will sell it, but what it will go for, I can't say.

Good luck.
Old March 31, 2024, 08:32 AM   #13
taylorce1

Check out the catalog for Rock Island Auctions, I believe their last auction grossed $107 million from a quick search. They might be worth a call if you want to sell a few high quality firearms to the people looking for rifles in your chamber.
Old March 31, 2024, 11:46 AM   #14
1972RedNeck

I would be interested in buying it if you decide to sell. 375 Weatherby is one of my favorites...
Old April 3, 2024, 09:35 AM   #15
Pumpkin

Very nice rifle, work of art.
Do you have any nephews, cousins that would appreciate?
I feel for your dilemma, good luck.
Old April 3, 2024, 11:09 AM   #16
Jim Watson

Not many of us still around from the Flaig's era.

This is an interesting rifle, somebody chose to squeeze a .375 Weatherby into an FN Mauser action, long after anybody was making true Magnum Mausers.
Old April 3, 2024, 06:33 PM   #17
44 AMP
Staff

True "magnum Mausers" have always been fairly scarce and more than a bit expensive, compared to the regular actions.

Obviously, the .375 Wby fit, so why not??
Old April 3, 2024, 07:16 PM   #18
Drm50

3 yrs ago I sold a custom on a Sako Finbear action, Douglas barrel and timber trigger. Custom stocked in MK V style English walnut with black walnut caps, in 375 H&H. I got $1500 for it after about a year. I sold a factory Sako Finbear for same money and Rem 700 for $1200 all in 375H&H.
Old April 4, 2024, 09:29 AM   #19
stagpanther

I'm a bit in error for the statement I made above--the 375 Wbymag is descended from 375 H&H; whereas the 378, 416 and 460 are descended from the 416 Rigby--meaning the latter 3 are somewhat wider and higher capacity (and probably hit harder) than the 375.
Old April 5, 2024, 05:25 PM   #20
TX Nimrod

It is a gorgeous rifle, and will appeal to a relatively small market today….more’s the pity. The .375 Weatherby is still chambered today and is a more reasonable alternative to the more potent (if ever needed) .378 Weatherby - which itself has more recoil than you’d expect. A rifle’s value is what someone is willing to pay, and I have no idea what someone would pay for it. Is there a local consignment LGS in your area? That would avoid shipping and some added on fees typical of online sales.

.22LR - .223 - .22-250 - .243 - 6mm REM - .25-20 - .25-35 - .25 BB - .250/3000 - .257 WBY - .260 - .30 M1 - .300 BO - .30 Herrett - .300 Savage - .32 H&R - .303 - .338-06 - .338 WM - .35 REM - .38-55 - .45 LC - .45-70 - .50-70
Old April 12, 2024, 09:57 PM   #21
Mollymaster

I sent some pictures to Rock Island to find out what they would start the auction at. 1,500 to 1,800 starting. That still sounds low for this piece, but it might be the best way to find its highest value. As someone mentioned, gun broker with a high reserve could be interesting too. If I list it, I will post back. Thanks again
Old April 13, 2024, 05:14 AM   #22
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollymaster
As someone mentioned, gun broker with a high reserve could be interesting too.
Be prepared to sit on the rifle for a long time with a high reserve price. My biggest successes on GB was to do no reserve penny auctions. Everytime I tried a reserve auction I often received no bids and had to relist. An auction is always a little bit of a gamble.

I still believe Rock Island or other auction house will put the rifle in front of the right buyers better than GB. Unfortunately, custom rifles without being built or owned by someone of note in their respective communities bring about what buyers think the parts are worth. It is just the nature of the used custom gun market.

If you actually get anywhere near $1500 after shipping and fees on GB, I'd say you did very well. What you're trying to sell only appeals to a very small number of buyers. If it was a factory Weatherby rifle of the same era, you'd have an easier time marketing it.
Old May 1, 2024, 07:37 AM   #23
Mollymaster

Gun broker

I started listing the rifle on GB. At the very end I find out GB charges 2% fee upfront for a reserve auction. It was $200 fee whether it sells or not. Needless to say I canceled the listing. Im in the process of selling our home and buying another and havent had the time to look over the rock island proposal. From what I recall, their cut was 25% which gives me pause too. And the thought of shipping it these days with how unreliable all the shippers are is scary. I will revisit this next month
Old May 1, 2024, 01:31 PM   #24
taylorce1

Nature of the beast, with selling used firearms. Any LGS is going to charge you at least around 15% to consign a firearm around here. More if they run it on GB, GA, and GI, as well as offer shipping.

I don't know what you were putting in for a reserve price, but I just priced selling a rifle with a $5K reserve and GB only wanted $127 for a 14 day auction with 90 day relist. Estimated final value fee was $208 if it sold for the reserve price. If your at $200 just to list, your not realistic in your reserve price. You need to find a professional to appraise the rifle, and not attach any sentimental value to it.

Auction houses like Rock Island charge a premium because they put in the work to get you the most money possible for your rifle. They take professional pictures, put out a sales catalog, advertise nationwide, handle shipping, and make sure tax laws are fillowed, they should be compensated for their efforts. They are doing work on your behalf that you can't easily do on your own.

If Rock Island is able to sell your rifle for $3000 but you can only get $1500 somewhere else, then is a 25% commission worth it? I mean they just just put $750 more in your pocket. Probably at least $900 more by the time you pay commission or fees to an LGS or internet site.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20240501_115913_Brave.jpg (408.3 KB, 2 views)