The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 28, 2002, 10:42 PM   #1
brockgl

Cleaning My Gun

Hmm.... well i am brand new gun owner, as i have stated in earlier posts... and I am wondering - How do i need to go about cleaning my gun on a regular basis, how often do i need to clean it, and how can i keep from OVER doing it?? ive read my manual through and through, but it is vague as to exactly how to go about cleaning it... i think it assumes i already have the knowledge... Whats maybe a good site i could visit with information on this?? my new pistol is a Ruger P-90 .45

I love the .45 =)

Brock Glaze
Old October 28, 2002, 10:54 PM   #2
brockgl

Oh yeah, i want to take it apart and stuff, and de-grease the factory stuff and re-grease it, but i dont yet own any lube, and or any tools that would help me through this... so a start would be the kinds of tools ill need for this kind of job... im dying to fire this baby!

Brock
Old October 28, 2002, 11:50 PM   #3
sm

Welcome to TFL. From your other posts, your a new gun owner. Lots of good advice from the other thread. Did you buy from a dealer with a gunsmith? Have you made arrangements for firearms instructions/classes? I ask because I buy from my gunsmith(20+years now). From a reputable dealer/gunsmith one recieves great service, instruction and the nuances of maintenance. CAVEAT: If you don't know how to take down -DON'T. We know you are anxious and exicted, but safety is #1. Let someone whom knows-teach you. Gunsmith has shown me numerous guns (yes even new ones) that due to improper knowledge, cleaning and the like the gun owner messed up his firearm--sometimes a matter of safety.

I'm not trying to sound rough, I would rather have a new shooter get started out right and be safe. Besides -we look forward to hearing from you and future experiences.

Cleaning: Don't get all caught up in the hype, maybe avoid gun rags--saves $ for ammo, lessons.

I have , dunno , 200, -400 rds through my carry pcs since I last cleaned them. I removed slide, got rid of dust bunnies, drop of oil , changed mags and carry load and that was it. BUT I have EXTENSIVLEY TESTED MY CARRY GUNS AND LOADS!!!

Usually I use a Otis pull through kit -handy-use at range-fits many calibers. I use FP-10 CLP from MPC --thats it . I prefer not t oclean from muzzle ( hence the otis kit or muzzle guard) . Buy some pipe cleaners and long wooden Q-tips (radio shack) your set.

Taught a new CCW shooter how to clean her new carry pc, daddy had bought (literally) a sack full of stuff. She took it all back, got the basics above. Went shooting with daddy and cleaned her weapon in 15 minutes! taught daddy how to clean his gun!!

So when you gonna get them instuctions???

be safe, have fun...
best
Old October 29, 2002, 01:22 AM   #4
Drjones

Honestly, you can't really clean anything too much, esp. a gun. Definitely clean after each time you shoot it. If you are going to carry it, inspect it daily, and clean it as often as you like. Minimum for me is about 2 weeks or so if it hasn't been fired.

FP-10 is great stuff, and very inexpensive. www.fp-10.com

Always, always, always make sure your gun is UNLOADED before beginning to clean it!!! ALWAYS.

Your owner's manual should tell you how to take it down.

Rugers are not that difficult to strip...once you get the hang of it...
Old October 29, 2002, 01:24 AM   #5
Drjones

Oh, and most cleaning kits have good instructions. You can buy a nice kit at most gun/sport shops, and don't be afraid to ask questions. The guys behind the counter can be nice, but they can also be jerks. Likewise, just 'cause they work there does NOT mean they know squat about guns. Go figure...

Do a search on "cleaning" and you should come up with more info than you want.
Old October 29, 2002, 08:01 AM   #6
johnwill

I'll post the dissenting opinion. I believe you can clean a gun too much. I clean my pistols after a few hundred rounds, but I don't strip them after every outing. The one exception is my carry gun, I never carry it dirty, since I want to eliminate any questions about it being recently fired in the case I'm too close to an incident.
Old October 29, 2002, 08:12 AM   #7
cslinger

I clean after every shooting session and I use Breakfree CLP and Hoppes Bore cleaner for the tougher stuff.

The very first time I break down and clean a new gun it gets bathed in the Breakfree and gets to sit in it for a good 15 minutes or so. I have found this to allow it to really seep into the pores of the metal and I have never seen a speck of rust.

I think the most important thing is to make sure you run your dry patches through the barrel when you are finishing up the barrel cleaning. You do NOT ever want to leave visible oil or other obstructions in the barrel. A lot of new owners thing that there needs to be a visible coating of oil. Always run a clean dry patch or two down the barrel as the last part of the cleaning of it.

Lead Away clothes work great on stainless guns but don't use them on blued.

Stay away from Gun Scrubber or use it very carefully as it is some potent stuff.

Don't forget to clean your magazines if you are using an autoloader. They are easy to break down and tend to be the weakest link in most autoloaders so you want to keep these inspected and clean.

Other than that it really isn't that hard or expensive. Old tooth brush, cheap gun cleaning kit, maybe some Qtips, a couple rags and some patches or an old cut up undershirt.

You will have to learn how much lubrication your individual gun requires as this really can be different from gun to gun, but as a rule a dab will do ya. Try not to over lube, I have a habit of over lubing and although it has not caused me problems, it can get a bit messy.

If you carry your gun wipe it down with either a silicon clother or some light CLP every time you carry. Just because it hasn't been shot doesn't meant that the finish doesn't have salt from sweat on it.

Ok that is about all I can offer.

Chris
Old October 29, 2002, 08:47 AM   #8
Freightman

I clean after every range session, of course I usually go through 150 to 200 rounds each time with each gun.
Once a quarter I detail clean with a tooth brush,pipe cleaners and Q tips.
A good idea if you are not comfortable with detail cleaning is to take it to a Gunsmith and have him clean it once a year. I worked for a gunsmith as his cleaning man it was amazing how dirty most guns are and how neglected.
Sure do miss that job but he retired o-well so am I he has the right to enjoy TV HA HA.