The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 13, 2007, 01:20 PM   #1
MMarshall

EAA Thor pistol the right choice?

Since our county finally opened a whitetail handgun season up, I have been pumped about using a new setup for next year. I will never hunt with a shotgun again!

Anyways, I have had two pistols in mind, and man I'm having a tough time making this decision on which one to buy for hunting.

Our land could call for some far shots, but most of the time <60yds.

The first in mind is the S&W 460, in the Performance package that has a 12" fluted barrel. The main reason I like that pistol is because you can mount a bipod on the lower rail, and because it will shoot 45 colt and 454 as well.

But the ugly one I most recently discovered, and for some reason really like, is the EAA Thor pistol in 45-70.

We can use any length of straight-walled cartridge, so long as we meet a minimum barrel length and of coarse energy requirement. To me this puts the Thor at an advantage; a 45-70 is like the next step in progression from a .460mag and I'm sure could reach out quite a few more yards. I could always use wimpy loads to match similar handgun performance.

The Thor also looks like I could hang onto it more easily.

Anyways, my theory arises from the actions relating to true accuracy. Would it be acceptable to assume that the Thor may just be the more accurate of the two, due to a solid barrel configuration (no force-cone such as on a revolver)?

I guess the final factor is having more than one shot in the revolver, an advantage for it (then again I never miss the first shot, heh ).

Does anyone have any comments on this or these pistols? Anything heard good? Bad?

Thanks a lot.
Old February 13, 2007, 04:13 PM   #2
RoyP

I have seen the thor.Its a single barrel using a 1911 style frame.:barf: .If you want long distance accuracy look at the encore or a contender.They are not much more than what I see the thors advertised for( most contenders are less) and definitely much better quality.
Old February 13, 2007, 05:16 PM   #3
tulsamal

My only comment is that both of those handguns are WAY more powerful than anything I would take into the field to use for whitetails! How big do they get where you live? .41 to .44 Magnum is plenty of power for my whitetails. A bunch of people do it every year with heavy bullet .357's.

I just can't see carrying such monster cannons around while hunting deer. Now if we were talking about elk....

Gregg
Old February 13, 2007, 08:38 PM   #4
MMarshall

About the Contender, I know they are excellent guns of top-notch craftsmanship, but for some reason their style just doesn't catch on me.

Like I said, the EAA is ugly, but is a pure hand-cannon. The one thing I do really like is a 1911 grip frame.

I have heard S&W had problems with the Performance Center barrels on the 460 as well.

The real fact is that I want a pistol worthy of not just whitetail, but with the capability to handle much larger game. The 45-70 seems perfect for this in a pistol. You can load it like a 45 Colt, or load it like a cannon. The .460 is just another option on the same principle.

And also, if people are hunting whitetail with powerful rifles, why is it wrong to use a pistol of much less energy, even in such a caliber as 45-70?
Old February 13, 2007, 08:49 PM   #5
Trapper L

I would be more inclined to direct you to a Contender. The Contender has a wider choice of barrels from 22 calibers to the 50s should you decide to make it a "play" gun as well. If you've never shot a 45-70 pistol with full loads, it is painful. The 375 Winchester is a handful as well. Personally, for hunting with a straight wall case, the 270 Ren is hard to beat but the 357 Maximum is easier to find ammo for and is a lot easier to load if you reload. The effective range for a Maximum is usually more than most pistoleros can use anyway. Might be just the ticket for you.
Old February 14, 2007, 08:08 AM   #6
pesta2

If you want a 45-70 did you look at a BFR? It is a single action that chambers various rounds and the 45-70 being one choice.

Last edited by pesta2; February 14, 2008 at 10:12 AM.