The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old April 7, 2005, 01:00 PM   #1
Hard Ball

Innocent Weapons

Innocent Weapons

Most weapons are designed for open unconcealed darry. Some of them, such as pistols and edged weapons can be carried concealed, but once you draw one it obviously is a weapon.
There are two other classes of weapons. They are covert weapons and innocent weapons. Covert weapons are things that do not look like weapons but have a weapon concealed inside them. Sword canes and gun canes are god examples. They were very popular in the 1800s, but there usefolness has been greatly reduced by modern tedhnology such as X-rays amd meral detectors.
Inoccebt weapons still work because if properly selected there is nothing to indicate that they are weapons until you use them.
My favorite is a cane. I am familiar with Japanese stick fighitng partiularly the Jo which is a straight hardwood stick 3 to 3.5 feet long The Jo was developed by Muso Gozen in Japan around 1600. A skilled man with a Jo could often defeat a man with a samurai sword. Jo techniques can easily be adopted for use with a regular crook handled cane or a hiker's staff. The cane is particularly useful because it can be carried literally any where with a little prior planning. If this inerests you, Canemasters offers excellent self defense canes and videos showing how to use them
There are other things that can be used as innocent weapons. You can probably think of some yourself. I feel that they are worth having and knowing how to use them..
Old April 7, 2005, 01:03 PM   #2
USP45usp

I have a walking stick that has a big "ball" on the top that is leaded. The stick is more of a staff really.

Wayne
Old April 7, 2005, 01:15 PM   #3
jlwatts3

One of my favorites is the bandana and coin (or other hard object) combination. Can be carried pretty much anywhere and is pretty compact and lightweight.
Old April 7, 2005, 03:15 PM   #4
20cows

Hard Ball

The martial arts class I take, a form of Aikido, has incorporated the study of cane techniques along with the jo and short stick.

The cane can be very effective weapon with good training, not bad even w/o it. It is a big stck after all.
Old April 7, 2005, 04:40 PM   #5
Blind Tree Frog

Need to be careful with things like Cane Swords. they are illegal in at least a few states I believe I've checked the laws on.
Old April 8, 2005, 12:02 AM   #6
fastforty

About the shortest stick is the Kubotan. I know, it's a pretty close contact weapon but it's better then nothing, can be very effective and goes completely unnoticed on a keychain. There's a lot of places you just can't carry a long stick around with you.
Old April 8, 2005, 12:14 AM   #7
Twycross

Innocent weapons I carry every day:
Keys
Cigarrette lighter ( I don't smoke, just occasionally need a quick source of flame)
Pen
Wristwatch (brass knuckles)

Not-so innocent weapons I also carry every day:
CRKT KISS knife
S&W Extreme Ops Camo folder (3.75 inch blade)
Old April 8, 2005, 12:14 AM   #8
BillCA

Be careful of using certain "sticks" as they may qualify under a state's laws against public possession of a "baton", "night stick", bludgeon or other "blunt instrument". There was a fairly recent publicized fight in a local burger joint where some "gangsta" started shoving a guy around then got trounced by his victim using his cane. Gangsta went to jail and a few days later the DA decided that use of a cane by an "able bodied person with no infirmities" constituted a weapon. A brief letter-writing campaign to the county, the DA and cops caused them to drop the charges. The DA still insists that he'll prosecute any "able bodied" people carrying sticks or canes because "those should only be used by legitimately handicapped people" !!
Old April 8, 2005, 12:24 AM   #9
jonathon

Doesn't Cali suck? I read an article in First Freedom about SF.. sad whats happening to such a pretty city(well, the non slums anyways)
Romans 12:21

Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good

More CZ M52 info than you can shake a stick at!
Old April 8, 2005, 07:55 AM   #10
20cows

That's what is so wonderful about a cane, it's legal everywhere for me. It's nice to have a BIG scar on your ankle from a previous injury that gives credence to the "need" to carry one. (The ankle does not slow me down for now, but you can look at it and tell it's not like it used to be.)

The short stick we train with is "iffy" to walk around with, but a simple, unadorned 24x1" dowel rod in a rancher's pick-up is not considered a "billy club" in Texas.
Old April 8, 2005, 11:59 AM   #11
IronGeek

Drumsticks

I used to carry my largest, heaviest pair of drumsticks around with me when I was in a band. I also began to dabble in escrima, a very potent short-sticks artform.

S&W M19-3 .357 4"
Old April 8, 2005, 12:36 PM   #12
dakotashooter2

How about a heavy leather bet with a heavy buckle.
Old April 8, 2005, 12:48 PM   #13
20cows

"I also began to dabble in escrima."

I guess my mind was in the gutter for a minute. I thought you wrote "excreta". That's a whole different ballgame, tho I bet it could be effective under some circumstances.
Old April 8, 2005, 02:00 PM   #14
IronGeek

Belt-Fu

Quote:
Absolutely, Dakotashooter. I guess you saw "Fist of Legend" too, huh? Damn!

S&W M19-3 .357 4"
Old April 8, 2005, 02:31 PM   #15
owen

Quote:
Quote:
Absolutely, Dakotashooter. I guess you saw "Fist of Legend" too, huh? Damn!
Or PootieTang
Old April 8, 2005, 02:40 PM   #16
TallPine

How about a D cell Maglite? Is that considered a weapon anywhere?

For that matter a little bitty Surefire (or Maxfire) shined into somebody's eyes ought to dazzle them enough for you to make a retreat.
"The inherent right in the people to reform their government, I do not deny; and they have another right, and that is to resist unconstitutional laws without overturning the government." --Daniel Webster
Old April 8, 2005, 04:03 PM   #17
Blind Tree Frog

you mean the 6 cell D cell right?
Old April 9, 2005, 12:55 PM   #18
TallPine

No, even a 2-D maglite would seem to be useful - anyway much better than bare hands.

It's just a flashlight, after all

I bought one for each of my daughters, and showed them how to hold it on there shoulder for light and also ready to swing, for going to their car after dark, etc.
"The inherent right in the people to reform their government, I do not deny; and they have another right, and that is to resist unconstitutional laws without overturning the government." --Daniel Webster
Old April 9, 2005, 03:56 PM   #19
XDoctor

There have been qute a few "disagreements" between the two motorcycle "clubs" around here lately. Being an unaffiliated motorcycle enthusiest, I run into these folks from time to time but they're usually very nice. I met one the other day and noticed he had a padlock on his riding jacket. Asked him what it was for and he replied, "You swing it with a bandanna."
Old April 12, 2005, 02:52 PM   #20
hso

My son referred to a heavy Master Lock padlock on the end of anything like a bandana as a "Smiley" because of the wound shape it would produce.
Old April 12, 2005, 04:29 PM   #21
IZinterrogator

Quote:
Yeah, any guy who attacks me when I am unarmed is going to have a large reversed 1st Cav emblem imprinted in their forehead.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!” - Samuel Adams
Old April 12, 2005, 05:02 PM   #22
stephen426

I've stated this on several other posts but a Mini Mag Light (2 AA Batteries) makes an excellent Kubaton. Place your thumb over the lens and swing away. Although this is way too close for comfort, there are place where it is illegal to carry. Actually, I do this often while travelling since many places don't let you carry weapons.

As for where to strike with the Mini Mag Light, it depends how much damage you want to do. I would go for the front of the shoulder joint where all the nerves are. That will take the arm out of comission for a good five minutes for most people. Don't believe me, give yourself a good firm punch with your knuckles and see if it hurts. Now think about a hard aluminum flash light with a small surface area. You can also go for a head shot but you may end up cracking somebody's skull. Try to hit the side of the head rather than the front as the forehead is the strongest part of the skull.

You can also grasp the Mini Mag between you second and third fingers where the lens is and use it as a mini club. This is particularly nasty against the clavical and is also good for hits to the head as well. If you are somewhat trained in martial arts, you can block a puch and use the Mini Mag against the attacker's ribs. (Rib shots can be done holding the flashlight either way).

You can carry one very discreetly in your strong side back pocket and no one will protest. I had better shut up now before they start banning flashlights. Just remember this is against someone who isn't armed so the flashlight can and probably will be perceived as a weapon. My advice, stop the attack and make yourself scarce unless you afraid the attacker will return to your home or business. In that case, you should call the cops.
Old April 12, 2005, 08:44 PM   #23
wayneinFL

I usually keep a maglite in each car. They just seem to be a good flashlight for roadside trouble. I also carry one when I take a walk in the evening. I figure that's as much a safety device to avoid getting run over as a safety device that could be used against an aggressive dog or person for that matter.
Old April 13, 2005, 01:06 AM   #24
Lawyer Daggit

At night it is hard to go past a Maglight.
Old April 13, 2005, 12:05 PM   #25
Spotted Owl

I prefer a Surefire over a Maglite. This model seems to be the ticket. It has a crenellated bezel that makes an excellent striking weapon should the need arise.