The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old August 19, 2002, 03:50 PM   #1
Bogie

Oleg & Runt...

You _MUST_ climb in the jalopy for the 2nd weekend of October. Knob Creek beckons. Plan on camping. I'll supply the tent, you bring whatever you wanna sleep in/on. Bring a variety of clothing, since we won't know until if happens what sorta weather we'll have. Can be 35 in the morning, and 85 in the afternoon.

Dress tactical.

Seriously.

A mall ninja in full regalia wouldn't stand out at KCR.

In fact, I'm going to try to make sure we put up the canopy tent, and try to get a keg of some sort - if we can, I'd like to have a TFL gathering point for the campground - doubt if we will rival the subguns.com crew, but heck, we can have fun....

And making the world's greatest bottle openers!
Old August 19, 2002, 03:55 PM   #2
Guyon

What is Knob Creek?
Old August 19, 2002, 03:57 PM   #3
hsg2001

It's something like:

Knob Creek Machine Gun Shoot
Old August 19, 2002, 04:23 PM   #4
Betty

I'd love to go to Knob Creek! I won't know for sure if I can make it though - I have a good chance of changing jobs within the next few weeks, so I don't know what my schedule is going to be like (don't know if I'll be in the middle of a deadline and have to work a weekend). My brother may want to come, too. Full auto? Who can resist?
Old August 19, 2002, 04:56 PM   #5
Bogie

Hey, you'll love it. Bring a crowd. The more, the merrier. I can supply tent-room for probably a half-dozen, more if they're really friendly with each other. You'll, of course, pay for your own camping tickets.

And I'm looking foward to woodland camo chipmunk cheeks... Think VERY VERY tactical.

That, and the sight of Oleg drooling on all the old military rifles. And they're for sale too... along with plenty of ammo...

Oops. On second thought, the jalopy won't do it. Rent a truck. A big truck.

You'll also want to bring safety glasses, earplugs AND earmuffs.

Old August 19, 2002, 05:07 PM   #6
KSFreeman

Look for the tall, lanky guy who talks like a squirrel and twitches when the phone rings (end of shelter on the left).
Old August 19, 2002, 05:10 PM   #7
Bogie

In the back, or up by John Ross' buddy?

Old August 19, 2002, 05:18 PM   #8
Ben Swenson

Bogie ain't kidding you. Expect to go back with a fatally wounded wallet and concerned about what the ammo is doing to the shocks on your vehicle. This year's spring shoot, I brought back 3 new rifles and about six times more centerfire ammunition than I wanted to lug down to the campground. Oleg - I don't care what anyone else says about helping you carry stuff, bring a sturdy hand truck. With 1400 rounds of 8mm at $85 per case, how do you not buy a couple cases?

And this is why I decidedly won't be going to the fall shoot. I just can't afford it.
Old August 19, 2002, 09:14 PM   #9
Oleg Volk
Staff Alumnus

Grrrr...I'd be torn between carrying camera gear and rifles. Plus trying to find a place for re-charging batteries for the digital. Can't afford much at this point...just trying to stock up on as much non-corrosive 303 before it dries up and on 223 for training. Given up trying to keep enough 30-06 on hand, too expensive.

Might get some nice photos out of the trip. Shooting automatic weapons isn't that big a thrill anymore, though I wouldn't pass up something I haven't tried (Beretta 12S or MP18 or some such)
Old August 19, 2002, 09:22 PM   #10
garrettwc

9 posts and no one has mentioned the civil war cannon or the flame thrower rentals.

Oleg if you're bored with the full autos the roasting a Ford Granada with a flame thrower will get the creative juices flowing.

I can't wait. Working 20 minutes away makes it nice. Just load up the car on Friday before work and head out at quitting time.
Old August 19, 2002, 09:46 PM   #11
KSFreeman

Walther, anything interesting your neighbors farther up I-65 should see at Kiesler's (Friday afternoon)? Any bag of guns deals?

Mr. Wolf and runt, bring non-foofoo boots and rain slicker (just in case). The soil is clay. I bring water, but others don't. Be sure and see the Patton museum. Part of Patton's collection is there including a cherry ZB26.

As well, Cav usually has a tent sale. Interesing stuff. I bought my "vee vill ask the questionen" black leather jacket there in `97.
Old August 19, 2002, 10:28 PM   #12
garrettwc

Freeman, nothing special this week at Kiesler's. A few of the surplus Yugo rifles that are all over Shotgun News and most gun shows. Big selection of 1911s. A new HK P7M8, a Hathcock "Whitefeather" Springfield rifle. Most of Wilson Combat's pistols, shotguns, and ARs.

The usual large gun shop fodder. They are running sales about every other month with some good deals on ammo and some pleasant surprises pop up every now and then. Ask me again closer to Knob Creek time.

I second the idea of the Patton museum and the US Cav tent sale.
Old August 20, 2002, 10:29 AM   #13
Bogie

Oleg, if all you need to plug in is a charger, I've got a little 400 watt inverter that we can run off a cigarette lighter... Should work fine.

Old August 20, 2002, 10:51 AM   #14
cslinger

Ahhhh Knob Creek

Machine Gun Mecca. I am going to really try to go again this year.
Old August 20, 2002, 11:34 AM   #15
Bogie

Oh yeah, Oleg - Don't carry rifles. Carry camera gear. You might wanna consider competing in the old military rifle matches they do tho...

Oleg, we gotta seriously talk about getting you started on handloading.

Old August 20, 2002, 11:37 AM   #16
Oleg Volk
Staff Alumnus

Let's talk handloading. I finally see the point to it (fine-tuning loads) but I wonder about trying to load for semi-auto rifles at home...can that be done safely? 30-06 sounds like a good candidate.
Old August 20, 2002, 11:53 AM   #17
Bogie

Yeah, it's no big deal. Start saving brass.

I'll gift you with a press that'll suffice for your needs, and you can pick up some surplus powder and bullets at KCR. Hope that runt can carry a lot...

Old August 20, 2002, 12:00 PM   #18
Greg L

I'm working on coming down there with a bunch of Cub Scouts in tow (I have a feeling it will be like herding chickens). I'll be the exasperated/exhausted looking one with a TFL shirt on.

Not sure if we'll be camping out but if we do maybe we can teach them how to work the tap so that our time doesn't have taken up with that long trip over to the keg and back.

Greg
Old August 20, 2002, 12:19 PM   #19
Oleg Volk
Staff Alumnus

Got plenty of 06 brass. Would like to load for accuracy, using decent HP bullets.

Also would like to start loading 38S&W in order shoot an old Webley. Would probably just buy a couple of boxes of factory ammo and re-load the brass. I don't care for LRN bullets and would prefer to load SWC.
Old August 20, 2002, 12:45 PM   #20
Bogie

No big deal then...

The .30-06 is a Garand, right? There'll be plenty of stuff around. You may find, however, that you'll get similar accuracy with "normal" bullets as you would with "match" bullets. Your barrel and chamber combo will be the defining factor, and most just won't cut it for "match" accuracy.

Powder will cost you in the area of $10/pound (or less, if you get lucky), and you can get around 150-200 rounds/pound for rifle loads. Bunches more for handgun. With Bullseye, you can load 2,000 .38 special wadcutter loads with a pound, and have some left over.

There are several dealers that'll be at the shoot where you can pick up surplus components cheap. Post your calibers over at the handloading forum, and we'll get you a shopping list together. I can give you a press, and a Lee powder measure for the rifle, and you can scrounge the rest of the stuff...

Old August 20, 2002, 12:49 PM   #21
Ben Swenson

Quote:
I can give you a press, and a Lee powder measure for the rifle, and you can scrounge the rest of the stuff.
I think Bogie gets the "One Helluva Guy" award for this week.
Old August 20, 2002, 02:30 PM   #22
Bogie

Yeah, but he's gotta camp at KCR to pick it up...