The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 10, 2024, 04:18 PM   #1
Prof Young

"Pirate" gun finally working . . . .

I have a CVA Hawken pistol built from a kit. If you follow this forum you may recall I had trouble with the percussion caps percussing. A lost main spring garnered a replacement and it did the trick. The percussion caps percuss 99 percent of the time.

I finally got the thing to the range. First shot was great. Second shot, the cap pops but there is no boom. Same with the third. Hmmmmm . . . I take the nipple off and dump a little powder in the drum hole. Reinstall the nipple and the pop is followed by a nice boom. Happens again the same way. The powder isn't falling in to the drum. So, I dump the powder in the barrel. Point the barrel up at about a 45 degree angle. Turn it so the drum and nipple are pointed down and then tap the drum a bit. And it shoots every time after that. TADA!

I put a dozen rounds down range and, as predicted, it is a hoot to shoot.

Gotta love it.

Prof Young
Old May 10, 2024, 06:03 PM   #2
DaleA

Photos would be nice.

(This from the guy who has to qo back to square one every time he tries to post any kind of photo.)
Old May 10, 2024, 06:10 PM   #3
DaleA

Good land!
Apologies!
I was working my way down the forum headings and hadn't gotten to your post in the General section. A very cool/interesting selection of guns and the wood on the 'Pirate' looks particularly nice.
Old May 14, 2024, 08:59 PM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

Good problem solving.