The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 29, 2024, 06:24 PM   #1
DaleA

590 Shockwave-Another thing I won't do again

Welp, I've got a friend I occasionally shoot with that says he's getting on in years and is trying out 'different' things.

He let me shoot his Mossberg 590 Shockwave with 12 gauge slugs.

Well, like the Ruger LCR .357 magnum with 158 grain cartridges, the Shockwave is something I'll not do again.

The recoil of the Shockwave was awful. I thought I was holding it firmly but it came back in my hand and the safety ripped into the web of my right hand. I was seriously wishing for some shooting gloves.

He had a green laser setup and I found the least objectionable way of shooting the thing was to brace the butt against my hip.

We pretty much hit what we were aiming at but it was no fun shooting the thing.

Don't get me wrong, I LIKE new experiences just for the experience itself but the Mossberg Shockwave 12 gauge, while something I'm glad I tried, won't be something I'll ever like.

Maybe I'm off base here. I only fired like a half dozen shots.

Anybody have anything good to say about the Shockwave and the way to shoot it?
Old April 29, 2024, 06:28 PM   #2
georgehwbush

is that the sound of crickets i hear?
Old April 29, 2024, 06:33 PM   #3
stagpanther

yeah but...chicks dig scars.
Old April 29, 2024, 07:02 PM   #4
amd6547

I had my Mossberg 500 set up with an 18” barrel, and basically the same birdshead grip of the Shockwave. When I shot it, I would maintain firm forward pressure on the forearm. When I shot it, I used “low recoil” slugs or buckshot… No problem.
It would be interesting to try the minishell slugs and buck in the 590 with the Opsol adapter.
Old April 29, 2024, 08:59 PM   #5
Sharkbite

I have a Shockwave that we keep under the counter as a “shop gun”. The ability to stage it out of sight, under the counter is its biggest feature. It is loaded with Winchester low recoil OO Buckshot.
Range from the staged location to the front door is short (under 15yards). Basically Handgun range with more power on tap.

For that specific use, i think its fine. As a general SD shotgun, it would NOT be my choice.

I agree with full power buck or slugs, its painful to shoot. As mentioned above, using a solid push/pull technique really helps control the little beast.
Old April 30, 2024, 09:43 AM   #6
FrankenMauser

One of my father's friends used to shoot with us occasionally. He brought his young adult son out a few times.
The son always brought his 12 ga pistol grip shotgun, and always had to look tough by firing 3" slugs.

He broke his wrist twice while I was there, three times total (that I know of).

By no means am I saying that PGOs, PG conversions, and Shockwave type things are useless. But they're dumb and nearly useless. Of course, the owners punish themselves for their dumb decisions; so the idiocy seems to self-resolve.
Old April 30, 2024, 07:15 PM   #7
Ridgerunner665

It'd be MUCH more fun with reduced recoil loads or shorty shells.

I have a 590, but its not a Shockwave... the Shockwave serves a niche, just not mine.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
Old May 1, 2024, 03:10 AM   #8
44 AMP
Staff

I once had an opportunity to shoot a shotgun cut down to that size, was an NFA item because it had been somebody's field gun to begin with, not factory made.

Kind of fun with low brass birdshot, but #4 buck got painful. I declined bigger buckshot, and would have refuse slugs if offered. (I wasn't quite that stupid, that day..)
Old May 1, 2024, 01:42 PM   #9
Mainah

I never fired one, but I assume that something named, "Shockwave" would have some recoil.
Old May 1, 2024, 01:56 PM   #10
Bill DeShivs

If you look back to before the NFA act of 1934, few of the "shotgun pistols" were made in 12 ga. Most were in 20 ga. or .410-there were even some 28 gauges made. There is a reason for that. The 12 is pretty difficult to handle. I have a NFA 20 double that I won't even shoot 3" shells in.
Old May 1, 2024, 02:48 PM   #11
DaleA

I've passed along some of the recommendations.

Just for a little more information, it was the Mossberg 590 Shockwave 'Shock'n'Saw'.

https://www.mossberg.com/shockwave-s...saw-50647.html

and we were shooting:
Black Aces Tactical High Velocity Slug 28gr.-1oz.-12 ga.-2 3/4"
shells. The rational for using slugs was to sight in the green laser. Aside from the physical wear and tear (on us, not the gun) I think we got that done.

A word-for-word quote from the owner today:
"I think I went full-retard on this one."

But he was smiling when he said it.
Old May 1, 2024, 05:52 PM   #12
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
If you look back to before the NFA act of 1934, few of the "shotgun pistols" were made in 12 ga.
I think if you go back to the guns of those days, you'll find few of the "shotgun pistols factory made in 12ga. The Ithaca "Auto-burglar" (Auto and Burgular?) was 20ga.

However, before the NFA 34, anyone could take a hacksaw to any gun without asking permission, getting approval, paying any tax or registering the gun.

So I suspect there were more than a few sawed off shotguns, in every caliber.

My grandfather told me of a guy he knew, was a one armed railroad cop in the early 1900s. His "sidearm" was a double barrel 10 gauge (TEN gauge) cut down to large pistol size. He worked the railroads for 20+ years, (chasing hobos off the freight cars, primarily) and said he never had to fire it, not even once!! I don't doubt that, one bit!!
Old May 1, 2024, 09:32 PM   #13
bamaranger

not a fan

I figure anything I can do with a pistol gripped shotgun, or the Shockwave variants, I can do better with a shotgun that has a butt stock. Except, the stubby shotguns can fit in smaller spots for stowage, but that makes them no easier to shoot. Best of both worlds without NFA hassle, is an 18" gun with a good folding stock. Stows easier, but deploys to be useful.
Old May 2, 2024, 11:57 AM   #14
Jim Watson

I once saw a couple of guys with a "pre-Shockwave" a Mossberg with pistol grip but 18" barrel/26" OAL.
Shooting from the hip was not very accurate and quit being fun, so one expert held it up so as to look down the barrel.
Bang! "Ow, ow, ow, help me find my tooth."
Old May 2, 2024, 02:52 PM   #15
The Verminator

Why even mess around with something this small, noisy and powerful?

A 9mm carbine would be a LOT better choice.
Old May 10, 2024, 07:53 PM   #16
bubbaturbo

Well I'm guilty of buying some questionable stuff, generally because I'm bored and it will be something to do. I've got a Ruger .327 Fed Mag Single Seven, a CZ 512 22 Magnum, a Mossberg 590S Shockwave with a 14.xx barrel, a Ruger TD 10/22 and some others - all pretty much impulse purchases because why not. I don't like the Single Seven as much as I thought I would, the CZ is excellent and I put a Leupold scope on it, and I never shoot the TD 10/22 or make use of the TD feature.

I had a vague idea about what I could use the Shockwave for. I encounter feral hogs fairly frequently but I've never had it with me to try it out. I've only shot it with mini shells but it comes from the factory set up for anything. Recoil was not remarkable at all. It's a kinda goofy gun but I'll probably take it woodsbumming after turkey season ends next week. When I'm actually huntings hogs over a feeder, I'll have a .243 bolt.

I definitely would not buy either the Single Seven or TD 10/22 again - I like 10/22s, just haven't used the TD. I would buy the CZ but I think maybe they are discontinued - not sure about that. I'm on the fence about the Shockwave. Generally I don't like a lot of weight when I'm hunting or woodsbumming and the Shockwave is all steel so we'll see. So definite maybe.
Old May 10, 2024, 09:21 PM   #17
Pumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
yeah but...chicks dig scars.
Only on your face, so I’ve heard.
Old May 10, 2024, 09:24 PM   #18
Pumpkin

I had an ADC .357 derringer, I would have rather put it up against my face and pulled the trigger than let loose of a slug out of a Shockwave.
Old May 12, 2024, 08:06 AM   #19
smee78

I too have a shockwave but haven't shot it yet due to a car accident wrist injury but I do have it equipped with the Opsol adapter and mini shells. This was before Mossberg started making them. I also put a green big dot laser on mine to make "aiming" easier, it makes point-shooting feel more natural with this gun.

I got mine just because I could, I didn't need a particular reason, just because it looked cool. I own a few range toys and like variety in my options. I also decided I would use low recoil oo buck if I removed the Opsol, I enjoy the low recoil rounds in my other shotguns, and in a pistol grip shotty I keep stashed around the house. It offers faster follow-up shots.
Old May 12, 2024, 02:22 PM   #20
DaleA

Quote:
I also put a green big dot laser on mine to make
That's what the owner of the Shockwave did. He was using slugs (see previous post for the exact ammo) as he thought that would be the best way to sight in the laser (and I think that goal was accomplished).

My take away is I'm not shooting slugs out of that thing unless my life depends on it or unless I am wearing a shooting glove.

There's been several good suggestions about NOT using slugs but low recoil or mini rounds.

And once again, the Shockwave was bought as a range-toy/something-unusual as the owner is getting on in years and is straying from 'traditional' firearms to other stuff just for fun.
Old Yesterday, 12:12 AM   #21
BourbonCowboy

I've got hundreds of rounds through my Shockwave and love it. I only shoot minislugs and my own homebrew #4 Buck minishells. The minislugs have a bit more kick than my minishells, but the recoil is still manageable. I avoid full-sized slugs.

Like smee, I started with the OpSol adapter, but I recently installed the Defender Tactical conversion kit which allows me to shoot any combination of shell lengths up to 3". I've also installed a slimline side saddle, a Crimson Trace Laser Saddle, XS Big Dot, and a Streamlight TL-Racker forend light.

I've gotten pretty accurate with both the rounds I use, and can comfortably say that I would have no concerns grabbing it at night to defend myself.