The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old July 26, 2002, 10:41 PM   #1
woodland

Am I crazy?????

Ok, tell me if I'm just nuts. A couple weeks ago, there was a circus in town. I took my boys down to see it. I know that is not wierd, but how about this: Before going I put my 30/06 in my suburban, with a box of Winchester Fail Safe's. My logic (or was it?) was there will be elephants there. Elephants have gone crazy at circus' before, and killed and hurt people. It has happened more than once. One video I saw once, one killed the handler, then went on a rampage, tearing up all in it's path. I remember reading that a bunch of cops were shooting it with their service pistols, obviously to no efect other than to maybe piss it off more, untill some one finaly had a rifle. Now I know a 30/06 is not really a good choice for an elephant, but it is the most powerful thing I have at the time. I just wanted to be as prepared as I could possibly be were such a thing to happen again.

So. Am I totaly crazy? Was this logical to y'all, or should I just go commit myself? I'm just curious to see if I'm the only one who thinks of things like this. Please tell me I'm not alone!!!
Old July 26, 2002, 11:36 PM   #2
Kaylee

You're crazy.

.... the rifle shoulda already been in your rig, on just General Principles.

-K
Old July 27, 2002, 12:13 AM   #3
spleenandideal

It's not the elephants you need to worry about, it's those evil clowns!!!
Old July 27, 2002, 12:14 AM   #4
woodland

KAYLEE

My PWA with 16" A2 Bushmaster upper and 4x AR scope and collapsible stock was. Fits perfect inside the back flap of the seat cover on the third seat. Just didn't think I'd want to try it on a mad elephant.
Old July 27, 2002, 12:20 AM   #5
Zorro

Only a 220 Grain Solid out of a 30-06 is advised.

.375 H&H Mag is MUCH BETTER choice!

.458 Win Mag is getting closer to reality.

.416 Rigby is better yet.
Old July 27, 2002, 12:33 AM   #6
Bob Locke

Yes, you're crazy!

But taking the rifle along to the circus has NOTHING to do with it!
Old July 27, 2002, 02:52 AM   #7
roscoe

oh brother
Old July 27, 2002, 04:14 AM   #8
TMfr

Quote:
Now I know a 30/06 is not really a good choice for an elephant, but it is the most powerful thing I have at the time. I just wanted to be as prepared as I could possibly be were such a thing to happen again.
Your 30-06 is a lot more powerful than you may realize and your choice of the Winchester Ammo was an excellent choice. The fail safes I have used have tremendous penetration. In the old days one had to use a very heavy bullet for maximum penetration but some of these new premium bullets even in the lighter weights have amazing penetration.

Many years ago a famous gun writer took his wife to Africa and she dropped and elephant with a 30-06 with only one shot. The elephant died as if hit by lightning. She was a very good shot and placed her bullet right into the brain of the Elephant. She did not shoot for the heart because she knew that even large caliber weapons almost never drop an elephant right away when shot through the heart or lungs. She did this with old style hunting bullets that today would not even be considered for serious use.

Moral of the story, the 30-06 has killed just about every large animal on this planet providing the person behind the gun was a good offhand shot and knew were to place his shots.

The 30-06 with its lower recoil and muzzle blast, long barrel life, light weight and super accuracy is probably one of the best choices in real life hunting situations where the ranges are seldom much past 200 yards.

Hang on to your 3006 ,properly used it will never let you down.
Old July 27, 2002, 09:47 AM   #9
C.R.Sam

Anatomy of the critter.
Precise shot placement.
Lots of good luck.

No sweat.

Sam
Old July 27, 2002, 12:38 PM   #10
yorec

I'd have taken my .300 Win Mag...

Hey I think the circus is coming here next week, I gotta order some 220 gr Barnse Xs! Now how much is that overnight freight???
Old July 27, 2002, 01:40 PM   #11
tex_n_cal

Even if it was totally justified to save human lives, you could count on all kinds of grief shooting a circus animal. There's a good chance that as a visitor, you'd get cast in the media as a nut case who took a gun to the circus. The circus employees or security could argue it was their job to protect visitors, and escape blame.

Besides all that, there are millions of people every year who go to the circus, and never see an out-of-control animal. I suspect the odds of being killed by a mad circus animal are probably worse than being in a plane crash.

The Bay Area Safari Club one year had an adult elephant at their dinner. She was quite friendly, enjoyed having people come up and rub her trunk. Pretty awesome experience approaching an elephant and interacting with one. I wouldn't have enjoyed it as much if I were worrying about how to take her out in event of a rampage - or worried about what people would think of me.

There are reasonable precautions in life, and reasonable risks taken during enjoyable activities. I'd just enjoy the circus in the future.
With top loads & hard cast bullets, a .357 mag, .41 mag, .44 special, .44 mag, .45 Colt, .454 Casull, .475 Linebaugh, .480 Ruger, .500 Linebaugh Maximum, and .500 S&W will all shoot through Bison. To select the gun, determine how big a hole you want to put in the Bison, and how much recoil you can stand
Old July 27, 2002, 02:50 PM   #12
dfaugh

"Paranoia strikes deep"

into your life it will creep

"For what its worth"--Buffalo Springfield

"No one has the answer, but one thing is true.
You'e got to turn on evil, when its coming after you.
You've gotta face it down,and when it tries to hide,
you've got to go in after it, and never be denied.
Time is running out...Let's roll.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for love.
We're going after satan, on the wings of a dove.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for truth.
Let's not let our children grow up fearful in their youth."
Old July 27, 2002, 05:30 PM   #13
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

woodland, this is one of those deals where the odds of an elephant going bonkers are about like a one-ticket win of the Powerball lottery.

Trouble is, somebody usually wins the lottery.

I dunno. Most folks never see a nutzoid elephant or win a Poweball lottery. Me among 'em. I've never had to deal with physical violence in public, either, but I have a CHL.

Dangfino. It's a bit beyond the usual "Plan ahead", but that doesn't mean an elephant never goes weird...I'd probably plan to practice rapidly being elsewhere and let the "Duly Constituted Folks" deal with it.

Art
Old July 29, 2002, 01:30 AM   #14
PATH

Yup, you really only need it for the "evil"clowns!

'How MacPherson Held The Floor'
Old July 29, 2002, 01:21 PM   #15
BlackRazor

I like this guy. Now how come I don't think like that?
Old July 30, 2002, 10:33 AM   #16
Guyon

Damn. I just realized I'm not prepared for runaway elephants.

Back to the gun shop...
Old July 30, 2002, 01:03 PM   #17
Marko Kloos

Pop quiz: Which caliber has killed more elephants than any other rifle caliber?

Answer: The lowly .303 British, thanks to the British Army being the most common service rifle cartridge on the African continent until the AK-47.

the munchkin wrangler.
Old July 30, 2002, 03:40 PM   #18
H&H,hunter

If you were to purchase a good short .470 double gun you could break it down and carry it under your over coat. that way if jumbo gets cheecky you could assemble it and shoot that sucker right there under the big top. And if any of those evil clowns get in your face well, who's wearing the happy face now sucker!!!

This is a cool post.
Old July 30, 2002, 03:53 PM   #19
BlackRazor

at close range

do you think it would be easier to take out an elephant with a full auto AR or from a normal M1A?
Old July 30, 2002, 04:59 PM   #20
benewton

I'd take the AR:

It might live, but I'd be having a great time, and the anti gun types would be ???
Old July 30, 2002, 09:17 PM   #21
sjc1

Woodland, you are kidding, right?
Old August 1, 2002, 04:21 AM   #22
oops

I would have taken my BMG Quad .50s mounted in the back of my pickup.
9mm.........- H&K USP, CZ 75b, SigSauer P225 ------- Me and my first guns
Old August 1, 2002, 08:27 AM   #23
fastang50

This thread rocks! Myself, I think it's a touch paranoid to be prepared for a mad elephant, but hey Boy Scouts right. Better to have it and not need it than.......
Old August 1, 2002, 09:15 AM   #24
GnL

woodland,

I know you were serious, but I have to say this was one of the funniest posts I've read in a long time! Are you really worried about runaway elephants at a circus?

Just curious, was this an indoor circus? If so, what would you have done? Run outside, grabbed your rifle from the parking lot, run back in and start shooting elephants? That would be one hell of a headline in the newspapers.
JPFO
SAS

"For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong." -- H.L. Mencken
Old August 1, 2002, 01:35 PM   #25
MeekAndMild

You've got to consider the elephant's anatomy though. Much of what looks like forehead is just huge sinuses. The elephant's brain actually rides lower than you'd imagine from studying squirrels and deer.

Clowns on the other hand have no brains. It is better to hit them with a Super Soaker, trying for total body immersion. Then their clothes shrink up and they're caught and can be disposed of head down in a dumpster.
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.