The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 4, 2005, 11:29 AM   #1
choochboost

inexpensive black finish

I have a deputy friend who just retired and wants to mount/display his Beretta 92 as a keepsake of his days as a LEO. Its all banged up and after years of service badly needs refinishing, but doesn't know where to start. I told him I'd ask around for him. Anybody know of an inexpensive black finish that would suit his needs? Keep in mind it doesn't have to have "NP3 durability" as he doesn't plan on shooting it anymore. He just wants a nice black finish that looks good and doesn't cost too much.
Old December 4, 2005, 11:56 AM   #2
Russ5924

Myself I would leave it like it was and display it,why cover up all the memory's bet he can tell where every mark came from. Me I would be proud of the wear and tear on it
Old December 4, 2005, 01:30 PM   #3
WhyteP38

I agree 100% with Russ5924. A newly refinished pistol is just a display case model that you can find most anywhere. People will look at it, then say, "That's nice," and forget about it a minute later. A work-worn pistol is a library of stories and history. I'm sure most of the marks on it have something to say. People will look at it, marvel at the wear and tear, and ask questions. It then becomes a part of their memories.
Old December 4, 2005, 03:43 PM   #4
Coltdriver

Contact Mac at www.shootiniron.com

He can parkerize the gun and it will look great for what you want.

He does a poly over parkerizing but tell him what your purpose is and you can get him to just parkerize it for you.

I have had him do an AK in his full treatment and the product, service and turn around were outstanding.
Old December 4, 2005, 06:07 PM   #5
chris in va

Please talk him out of refinishing the pistol. Really bad idea.
Old December 4, 2005, 06:48 PM   #6
Seven High

I own a Sig P229 that is banged up from my years as a LEO. I considered getting it refinished. I decided to leave it as is. It has more memories that way.
Old December 4, 2005, 10:02 PM   #7
Samuel2001

+1 on just leaving it as iz.

I wouldn't display an actual firing gun, wouldn't trust it to stay put when I was away! If that's the case have him buy one of them movie prop guns to display, Berettas are available. That way when hes not arround at least he's not leaving a live firearm unattended.

Just my .2 pesos.

Build a bridge, and...GET OVER IT!
Old December 4, 2005, 11:29 PM   #8
RJay

I agree with Samuel, I don't like hanging a real gun on display either, however if he does want to refinish it. why not, it's his gun. Brownells makes several spray on , bake on finishes. They look good and they are durable. I prefer Gun-Kote, oven cure. It's not cheap,28.82 a cab but it gives a very hard black finish. Is it the equal of a 200 hundred bluing job? no, but to a make an old gun look good with a durable finish it doew the job. Brownells, <www.brownells.com>