The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 2, 2005, 03:29 PM   #26
azredhawk44

I think the government (city or fed) is going to NOT be handing out ammo. You will only be finding ammo or mags from dead leos or soldiers. And if they were killed, they probably had their weapons taken too.

The scum that killed them and took their weapons may bring them to bear against you, and you can kill them and take it, but at that point the gun has been used by a criminal. Do you really want it? Or LEO stamped mags from a dead officer?
Old December 2, 2005, 10:56 PM   #27
roscoe

Quote:
Mag changes on an SKS are no fun. That huge pivot point is annoying.
Say what? With stripper clips, the reload takes just 3 seconds. Who's dropping magazines? The SKS is among the most reliable and easy to use military rifles out there, and if you are looking for a SHTF rifle, it is a great choice. Because you can use stripper clips, you can save money you might save on magazines and spend it on training and ammo. If it is NYC acceptable, of course.

I highly counsel getting sufficient ammo for yourself - don't count on being able to scavenge anything. You think you will be the only one out there looking for guns and ammo in a city of 8 million?

With a .357, SKS, whatever, get plenty of ammo and stash it away.
Old December 3, 2005, 12:04 AM   #28
5pins

Pre-ban mags can still be found. There is a person at Glock talk trying to sell G-19 mags for $22 IIRC.
Here is one way to tell if a mag Glock mag is pre-ban or not.

If you’re stuck with 10 rounds then get a .45 or a .40. A long gun would be nice also.
Old December 3, 2005, 12:13 PM   #29
poortrader

Chuckstar,

You won't be carrying anything in NYC. Handguns are ILLEGAL there unless your LEO. So it doesn't matter if it's HIGH CAP.

NRA Life Member
Old December 3, 2005, 03:13 PM   #30
roscoe

Quote:
You won't be carrying anything in NYC. Handguns are ILLEGAL there unless your LEO.
Not really - it is just that getting permission to carry is nigh impossible. Possession for self-defense is perfectly legal and accepted in one's home. Check out packing.org. And if the SHTF you probably want one in your home, plus ammo and a rifle.
Old December 3, 2005, 10:21 PM   #31
poortrader

New York City

NEW YORK CITY--A city permit is required for possession and transportation of handguns and long guns. New York State handgun permits are invalid within the city limits; however, New York State residents may transport their licensed handguns unloaded through the city if these are locked in a container and the trip is continuous. Long guns may be kept in the city for only 24 hours while in transit and must be unloaded and stored in a locked container or vehicle trunk for the period.

Basically, NYC has one of the stricts handgun laws in the country. You can tell me read all of the sites in the world including packing.org., but it's not easy to get a permit to own a weapon unless.....Unless is the key word. You have to qualify for the permit. I've read that over 60% of the permit applicants are denied ownership, and not that many people apply for permits. In a city of 8 million, there are only about 3000 permits that were issued for NYC as of 2002.

There is a difference between New York City and New York state.

NRA Life Member
Old December 4, 2005, 01:47 AM   #32
roscoe

I never said that it was a fun or easy process, but if you jump through the hoops and pony up a few hundred dollars, and have a clean record, they will ultimately grant you the permit. I am quite sure that the original poster is familiar with how difficult the bureaucracy is for virtually everything in NYC. The point is, you can get a pistol permit if you decide you really want it.

Contrast this with DC or Chicago, where you simply can't have an handgun. Reading an old New York Magazine article online, I saw that there are 50,000 pistol permits in NYC (as of 2004).
Old December 4, 2005, 06:52 PM   #33
Seven High

I'll bet that the list of pistol permit holders in NYC reads like a list of the rich and famous. Probably not too many ordinary folk on that list.
Old December 4, 2005, 08:24 PM   #34
Weeg

What is an "EOTWAWKI"

Only thing that comes to mind is a relative of Chewbacca?

Old December 4, 2005, 08:31 PM   #35
progunner1957

Quote:
What is an "EOTWAWKI"
End Of The World As We Know It.

Handgun:
Colt Govenmnet Model 1911, .45ACP

Long Gun:
Springfield Armory M1A, .308 Winchester -or-
Remington 870 Express 12 gauge shotgun