The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old June 7, 2010, 02:32 PM   #1
cguedr

I need a step-by-step on how to ship a handgun

I have an IWI Jericho 9mm steel frame that I'd like to sale or trade. I'd like to put it on places such as this site to increase the probability of finding a decent trade or buyer. Here's what I know about selling:
An individual can sell their personal handgun by using Fed-Ex or UPS, shipping to an FFL, and providing a copy of his/her driver's license.

Now, I have absolutely no idea how to make this happen, and I don't think that walking into Fed-Ex with a handgun is a good idea. What I need is a step-by-step in how to go about setting up the shipment of this handgun. Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.
Old June 7, 2010, 02:39 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/res.../firearms.html
Old June 7, 2010, 02:52 PM   #3
cguedr

I'm looking for someone who has actually done this to tell me how to go about doing it.
Old June 7, 2010, 04:29 PM   #4
docpadds

Verify its an FFL you are shipping to, they dont have to legally send you their license but at least get their number and check it HERE.

Actually shipping it is like anything else, box it up and go to Fedex, declare it as a firearm and ask for overnight service. Include your paperwork etc for the destination FFL in the box.

Not all FFLs will take from an individual though, you may need to have a backup plan of having an FFL to send outbound through....
Old June 7, 2010, 05:45 PM   #5
NavyLT

Quote:
Originally Posted by docpadds
Actually shipping it is like anything else, box it up and go to Fedex, declare it as a firearm and ask for overnight service. Include your paperwork etc for the destination FFL in the box.
Just for informational purposes:

1. There is no legal requirement to notify the shipper it is a firearm, IF the firearm is staying in state OR going to a licensed dealer, gunsmith or manufacturer. It is required by the shipping company's company policy, though. Personally, I would go ahead and tell them it's a firearm.

2. It is only the shipping company's policy to send the gun overnight, no legal requirement. So, personally, I would not ask for overnight service, I would let them make that determination.

Here is my personal experience: I was returning a Contender handgun to Thompson Center for repairs. I had the gun all boxed up ready to go. Went to FEDEX/Kinko's (who ARE allowed to ship firearms, because there IS a real FEDEX employee working the shipping counter.) I told the counter guy I had an unloaded firearm to ship to a licensed manufacturer. The guy asked if he could inspect the package, so I said sure. He cut my tape and opened the box, looked at the gun, did not touch it, and sealed the box back up for me.

Then he asked me, "Ground or Air?" Without hesitating I answered, ground! About 5 weeks later I had an excellently repaired TC Contender returned to my doorstep. Then the ex-wife sold it before the divorce was even final, but that's a different story...
Old June 7, 2010, 07:01 PM   #6
wally626

My experience is slightly different than NavyLT. Went to the UPS shipper, not a UPS store, declared the handgun, she (the clerk) said overnight air only, but did allow for the discount, anytime delivery option. She then asked for the receivers FFL, since it was going to Glock I said I did not have a copy of the FFL but it was the gun manufacturer, she bought that explanation and away it went.
Old June 7, 2010, 07:17 PM   #7
Frank Ettin
Staff

I usually go to the FedEx hub. It's only about a half mile down the road from the nearest FedEx/Kinko's and the lines are usually much shorter (i. e., non-existent). And I also declare it's a gun, primarily to avoid any extra insurance hassles if it comes to that.

Last time, I walked in with a box containing three 1911s I was sending off to a gunsmith for some work. The woman asked if I was sure he was a licensee. So I pulled out my iPhone and brought up the guy's website. Showed it to her, and that resolved the question. That's the only time I had anything even close to an issue.

On a more serious note, it's been said; but it bears repeating. Make sure the FFL on the other end will accept the gun from a non-licensee. It's legal for him to do so, but some will not for their own business reasons. And that is their right. Also be advised that some FFLs who will accept a gun from a non-licensee will want a copy of your driver's license.
Old June 7, 2010, 08:29 PM   #8
PeterTitan

FedEx

I have just shipped my Taurus back to the manufacturer for repairs (just last Friday).
I walked into FedEx Kinko’s store without it at first and asked if they would ship it.
They said yes, but they have to inspect it and make sure no bullets are shipped with the gun.
I went to my car got the gun, brought it, opened the cylinder to show no bullets.
The clerk inspected the manufacturer’s box, looking for bullets, he found none.
He box it all for me into a FedEx box.
I paid, that was it.
Hope that helps.

P.S. I’m looking to buy a Jericho, email me off the forum and let’s talk.
Old June 7, 2010, 08:49 PM   #9
TOM RENZO

I have just shipped my Taurus back to the manufacturer for repairs (just last Friday).
I walked into FedEx Kinko’s store without it at first and asked if they would ship it.
They said yes,

Personal guns sent out for REPAIR ARE DIFFERENT. You are not transfering a GUN. A hand gun can only be purchased in the state you live IN. Some FFL dealers will transfer from a private person but some wont. All you have to do is transfer from FFL TO FFL and you are golden. California is a little tricky so stay clear of buyers in that state.
Old June 7, 2010, 08:53 PM   #10
DiscoRacing

You do not need an FFL to send a firearm... only to recieve.. I have shipped several rifles via ups last year and had no troubles at all.
Old June 7, 2010, 08:56 PM   #11
docpadds

Quote:
2. It is only the shipping company's policy to send the gun overnight, no legal requirement. So, personally, I would not ask for overnight service, I would let them make that determination.
The problem there is that if the shipment is lost or damaged they will not have to cover the claim if it went by a method not listed in their regulations. Fedex happily take long guns by ground but very specifically say no handguns, so its really up to the sender if you want to take that gamble.

Of course we are seemingly paying for a lack of security in their system, but alas they have control over that.

Thankfully as an FFL we have USPS as an option for handguns, it can be a little bit of a pain but our local guys are decent and dont give us too much grief. Of course we receive many a gun from a dealer sent without any sort of signature needed, and left like any other package in the shared mailboxes at the end of our building.
Old June 7, 2010, 08:58 PM   #12
docpadds

Quote:
California is a little tricky so stay clear of buyers in that state.
It takes all of 30 seconds (a minute if i am not running awake fully) to do the CFLC check and get the letter on the web site, we happily ship to FFLs in CA for our customers, way to big a market to ignore.
Old June 7, 2010, 09:08 PM   #13
TOM RENZO

we happily ship to FFLs in CA for our customers, way to big a market to ignore.

ARE their any left in the STATE!!!!!!!!! Every time i ship to CA my dealer CRINGES. I personally avoid CA. If you look on gunbroker i am not the only one that feels this WAY. CA i avoid it like the PLAGUE. Just me could be wrong Thanks
Old June 7, 2010, 09:11 PM   #14
docpadds

Thats why we make money being a middle man for CA folks. Often its as simple as them using us as the ship point for the auction (as you say Gunbroker is a common place for this) and we then turn it around and send on to an FFL in California.

Just processed and turned a really nice Sig556 today for a guy out there.

As i said, the CFLC literally needs logged into, punch in their 5 digit number and how many guns are being shipped, check the box saying yes thats the right FFL and voila, it displays the letter/number for shipping.
Old June 8, 2010, 12:10 PM   #15
TOM RENZO

docpadds

Thats cool and i will contact you in the future for your services. I always ignore CA as a vialible sales outlet. Thanks for the info TOM. Well like pop always SAID you can learn something every DAY BUT the main thing is to REMEMBER. So i guess they send you an authorization form and check the type of gun being shipped?? So they can monitor the type of firearm and if its banned in the state?? Is this correct?? Thanks DUDE
Old June 8, 2010, 12:21 PM   #16
docpadds

Actually the CFLC is just a matter of authenticating that they are a registered FFL, and you say how many handguns and how many long guns you are shipping into them, thats it. No detail.

Adherence to the legalities of what gun can and cannot go into the state is seemingly something they just expect you to know
Old June 8, 2010, 03:15 PM   #17
natman

CFLC is for FFLs ONLY. Private individuals do not have to get CFLC confirmation.

I would contact the receiving FFL to make sure that the handgun is CA approved.