The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 29, 2009, 01:45 AM   #1
NevMike

Sig P238

I'm thinking about buying a Sig P238. Does anybody have any comments about this gun, good,bad, indifferent??Thank you.
Old October 29, 2009, 08:26 AM   #2
DasFriek

"Search button" is your frend: http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...archid=3895396
I love mine and carry it daily as a back up in my rear pocket.
Old October 29, 2009, 08:34 AM   #3
oldgranpa

hi again, DasFriek, the link you gave wouldn't come up. I sure would like to read your comments about the P238. Especially anything you can say about field stripping, internal parts, the firing mechanism. Since we've been told Sig paid for the Colt license, correct me if I'm wrong, how does it compare to the Colt? Do you carry cocked and locked? Or does that bother you like some have said.
Your comments are always tops.
og
Old October 29, 2009, 09:20 AM   #4
dirksterg30

We picked up one for my wife. Some of SIGs earlier production run had problems with the manual safety, but hers is newer. We only have 50 rounds through it (.380 is as rare as a politician with integrity), but it has been flawless so far.

We got the 2-tone model w/o night sights.
This is my impressions of it:
- The fit & finish are very good.
- Sights are far better than any other .380 I've seen (LCP/P3AT/Guardian) this size or smaller. They are actual dovetailed 3 dot sights, and night sights are available.
- Recoil is very manageable, far better than the Kel-Tec P3AT.
- The thumb safety is easy to lower. Raising it is another matter; I can't do it with one hand.
- Only comes with 1 magazine. Supposedly, you can use Colt Mustang magazines, but I don't have any to try.
- Comes with rather lame plastic grips. We'll probably replace them in the near future.

oldgranpa,

I would ONLY carry this pistol cocked and locked; that is the way it is designed to be carried.
Old October 29, 2009, 08:16 PM   #5
itman

Quote:
- Only comes with 1 magazine. Supposedly, you can use Colt Mustang magazines, but I don't have any to try.
- Comes with rather lame plastic grips. We'll probably replace them in the near future.
I agree with you there.

Quote:
- The thumb safety is easy to lower. Raising it is another matter; I can't do it with one hand.
I had to get use to it. But I can turn the safety on with my thumb. It's not EZ but I can do it.
Of corse that is kind of up to the persons hand.

But +1 for everything else oldgranpa said.

O and I would buy one again in a hart beat. I love mine.
Old October 29, 2009, 09:24 PM   #6
DasFriek

Quote:
hi again, DasFriek, the link you gave wouldn't come up. I sure would like to read your comments about the P238. Especially anything you can say about field stripping, internal parts, the firing mechanism. Since we've been told Sig paid for the Colt license, correct me if I'm wrong, how does it compare to the Colt? Do you carry cocked and locked? Or does that bother you like some have said.
Your comments are always tops.
og
Hello again also!
Here is the link again,i just did an advanced search under "sig 238" in the Handguns: The Semiauto Forum
Ill try the link again.
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...archid=3897076

Ive now put a little over 100 rounds threw mine maybe 150 i forget.Its been flawless despite its limited use,but only kinda.
After the first 50 rounds while cleaning and inspecting i noticed it was barely engaging the slide stop on the last round,a quick adjustment to the magazine follower fixed that.But it then made it stop feeding hollow points,that just required a small lip adjustment on the magazine.I also wasted 8 gold dots hand testing it,but was worth it.
I will say what i did wasn't necessary at all,it we me wanting the gun perfect.
But what i did find was most feed issues on this gun are mag related,and if you do make an adjustment it needs only to be very small.The gun being so small has very little margin for error.
Field stripping is easier than a 1911 imo.Right hand holds slide half way back aligning the take-down slot and pushing out the pin and the slide will come off.
The slide is made exactly like a series 80 1911 is,firing pin plunger and all.It even re-assembles the same way as you have to move the ejector that small smidge to get the firing pin stop to go into place.Its just like a really small 1911.
This is also why i carry mine cocked and locked at all times even in my back pocket in a Nemisis holster.I was a bit concerned my big 260lb butt sitting on it may tweak the frame somehow and release the sear or something odd,but seeing the slide safety im not worried in the least.
I didn't venture into the trigger assembly and i wont unless i have to,ill just hit all that with gun scrubber in a can since it has some pressure to blow crap out if it builds up.
Speaking of that the trigger action is perfection imo.A little heavy maybe 7lbs? but its crisp with a short reset.
My frame to slide fit is adequate,it budges but doesn't wiggle.
Also those 8 rounds of GoldDots i messed up testing? The noses were flattened out and almost closed up the hollow point making them look like short flat nosed wadcutters.While at the range i put them threw the gun flawlessly also.
If it will feed those it will feed rocks if need be

I don't own a Mustang to compare it with,sorry.But i would like to pick up one of their 7 round mags that has a finger lip for 3 finger shooting at the range.
In saying that it isn't needed in any way,the gun is easy to control recoil wise even with 2 fingers.I was shooting it next to my 5" 1911 last range trip and the p238 was like taking a break compared to my 1911 that day,it really was a joy to shoot.
I find no fault with the plastic gray grips,i like them actually.But the member here who makes the aluminum ones look very nice,but pricey for the ones i liked the best.Buts its always that way! Here is the link to his slabs and he does great holsters,i dont own either since im busy buying more guns rather than making them pretty at the moment.
https://www.collectors-society-slabs...Grips-*ORDER-/
These are the ultimate in sexy p238 grips!

My gun is always carried as a bug to my .45's but that doesn't mean i wouldn't feel ok with it by itself.
I use 90gr GoldDots since they are only $22 locally,but the Hornady DPX solid copper HP ammo is probably the best bet if money isn't an object at $35 a box.
Ive also been finding the Black Hard Anodized frame seems to hold up to moisture so far,i guess my backside gets steamy as i find moisture droplets built up on the side of the gun facing my body.Ive yet to find any problems due to that,its finished well.I will be keeping an eye on the internals over the next few months also.

Also be crafty on finding one of these,i think they are starting to become more available now and you can get one under MSRP if you try.I got my Dual Tone stainless slide and plastic grip and plain sights for $460 while im seeing them going for $600-$650 alot.

Im not gonna apologize for the lengthy post as you asked for all the info i had on this gun.I know how thorough you can be also and specific so i thought you may enjoy that also.

Really its a great gun and i honestly cant say anything negative,not even one single word.Well they should give us 2 magazines but i only need one for a bug anyhow.
If anything else you have a question about you can always pm me also,im no expert.Im just a new hobbyist having fun.

Last edited by DasFriek; October 29, 2009 at 09:33 PM.
Old October 29, 2009, 10:43 PM   #7
guns and more

I have the "rosewood" edition. I ordered it before they were produced. It has the Black Nitron finish, night sights, and rosewood grips. Nice looking.

If you look at the dimensions, it looks (on paper) to a little smaller than the Kahr PM-9. I have both and I assure you that in your hand the Sig 238 feels much smaller and thinner. It's the only gun I own that I could really pocket carry.

It has been flawless for me so far. I shot PMC Bronze FMJ at the range with no failures.
I bought two extra magazines from Top Gun Supply and they are identical to the stock one. All fed without a problem. I shot 6 in the magazine, tried topping off for a total of 7, loaded the first round by using the slide stop, and loaded the first round by racking the slide. Never a problem.

I got mine through Peak Firearms in the Sig forum. He is in Utah and was a pleasure to deal with.
Right now it's my favorite.

The slide is very easy to rack manually, and the recoil is very soft. (I haven't shot a LCP but I hear they are snappy to shoot)
I tried riding the slide and it still loaded. I think a lot of women would love this gun.

I also got a holster made by R.Grizzle. It's his "City Slicker" IWB with tuckable clips. The leather is exactly what I wanted, (Natural color), and his stitching is perfect. I wanted the back part larger than he shows and we went back and forth. He compromised some but wouldn't cover the mag release button.
It is a beautiful piece of work and comfortable as can be.
I also have a Desantis Nemisis on the way and a Bullard OWB on the way. So I can't comment on those.

Last edited by guns and more; October 29, 2009 at 10:52 PM.
Old October 30, 2009, 08:27 AM   #8
zombieslayer

I like that it has a heavier trigger pull. Havent shot one, but I may want one when availability brings prices down. I don't like pocket guns with too light a trigger. I'd like to see a grip safety, but with a slide safety and 7lb pull, it's probably safe, huh?
Old October 30, 2009, 11:02 AM   #9
DasFriek

Quote:
I like that it has a heavier trigger pull. Havent shot one, but I may want one when availability brings prices down. I don't like pocket guns with too light a trigger. I'd like to see a grip safety, but with a slide safety and 7lb pull, it's probably safe, huh?
I had read reports when these first hit the market of people complaining just how too easily the safety would engage and disengage,thats not true anymore.It takes some good thumb strength to move that lever now,but still possibly one handed with your thumb.It also wont accidentally engage while shooting either,its too stiff to do that.
But i dont find it overly hard to use either,its at the point id say its just right.
With such a positive safety switch and a series 80 firing pin pin safety and covered in a nice holster the gun is as safe as any gun you could carry.

Sig lists the trigger pull at 5 lbs,but im guessing mine is 7lbs.
Its enough difference from my PT1911 to tell the difference and i guess that one is about 4lbs.
Old October 30, 2009, 02:56 PM   #10
NWCP

I own two Colt Mustangs and two Colt Government model pistols. I find no need to buy a P238 which is pretty much a knock off of the Colt. If I were in the market for a compact 380 in a 1911 configuration today I would shop for a Colt Mustang, or Government model rather than the Sig. Just a personal preference. My Colts have never had an issue and I shoot them well. I'm not so sure that Sig is building under license. Colt may have let the patent expire on the Mustang. In any case I'd just as soon own the real deal.

Last edited by NWCP; October 30, 2009 at 03:04 PM.
Old October 31, 2009, 01:04 PM   #11
Departed402

Of course there's always the P239 (which comes in 9mm, .357 SIG, and .40S&W) if you want more than .380 ACP