The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 17, 2007, 10:50 PM   #26
ShootCraps

Quote:
There is definitely a problem (in my opinion) with some of the Taurus that have been shipped.
And can you tell us where you got your degree in engineering from to make such a blanket statement based on your pistol and maybe one or two others?
Old January 17, 2007, 10:52 PM   #27
ShootCraps

Quote:
Here's something that spooked me a bit.

Browsing Gander Mountain last week, I saw a PT1911 in the used rack for $450. Now, didn't the gun just come out?
Nothing unusual about that. Some people don't keep a gun long and trade it for something else. The guns been out almost a year.
Old January 17, 2007, 11:05 PM   #28
westphoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris in va
Browsing Gander Mountain last week, I saw a PT1911 in the used rack for $450. Now, didn't the gun just come out?
Not everyone is always going to like something. Many people buy something before they really think about it. Those are the guys you want to meet when they are ready to get rid of it
Old January 18, 2007, 01:04 AM   #29
Hotdog1911

I bought a taurus...

and I have problems....no kiddings.

I bought a Colt Gold Cup and I love it! It shoots great. huummmmm.

No kidding....what a surprise.
Old January 18, 2007, 05:51 AM   #30
Dash

Just noticed something common with the para ida's brass and mine

it is this mark on the case head

para ida's

mine

Checked out the breech face on my gun and noticed that
it was not level at this area and making that mark on the case head

I'm just guessing, but would filing and polishing that area fix it?
Old January 18, 2007, 07:48 AM   #31
Ralph2

Quote:

There is at least one guy locally that buys guns new and sometimes trades them in after less than a week's ownership. I have gotten some great deals lurking around the gun shop after he has traded in one.

My PT1911 was about two months old when it's previous owner traded it in. But he did shoot the crap out of it before hand, not a safe queen like some deals I have stumbled across.
Old January 18, 2007, 10:08 PM   #32
TK6411

Dash,

My case heads look exactly like yours, including the weird markings on the edge that you observed from para ida's case head pic, though much much lighter and fainter. I had to double check mine just to be sure that I saw what I saw. Sure enough faint markings on the edge. I checked my gun's breech face and didn't see anything as obvious as you pointed out about your gun's breech face. Mine is obviously smoother yet exhibits the same issue just much lighter. From my own experience I wouldn't worry about it too much, though yes you (or a smith) could file and polish the rough spot out a bit if it really bothers you. I'm leaving mine alone and will continue to shoot the crap out of my PT1911. Nothing I've seen thus far warrants any major concern unlike the evidently problematic PT1911's of para ida's and mes228. I agree with mes228 about returning his PT1911 or even replacing/ upgrading the slide on one's own. As a starter 1911 the PT1911 is a good place to start...with a few custom upgrades and parts the PT1911 could be a highly competitive and accurate target shooter for much less than starting out with a mil spec SA or Rock Island or even buying a Kimber outright. As I see it anything I find at fault I'll just replace with better custom parts along the way.

Jim
Old January 18, 2007, 10:34 PM   #33
Dash

Thanks TK6411, ill leave it as is and keep on shooting.
Old January 19, 2007, 11:17 AM   #34
HSMITH

Dash, take a picture of the firing pin protruding through the breechface and post it. From the witness marks on your breech the firing pin hole is VERY large.

That 'step' on the breechface also isn't right, it shouldn't be there and it can adversely affect reliability. If it weren't for the drastically oversized firing pin hole I would tell you to stone the step off, that slide is toast and fixing the step would be like putting lipstick on a pig.
Old January 19, 2007, 01:45 PM   #35
Dash

Can you guys post a picture of a "normal" sized firing pinhole? as well as "normal" caseheads too
Old January 19, 2007, 02:19 PM   #36
IM_Lugger

Dash my Beretta (and AFAIK they all do) leaves the same primer strike mark....para lda'a brass doesn't look normal but yours is! nothing to worry about...
Old January 19, 2007, 03:11 PM   #37
HSMITH

A 'normal' firing pin hole on a 1911 is just ever so slightly bigger than the firing pin. .020" bigger would be a BIG firing pin hole. Yours is almost double the firing pin size. It isn't right.

Normal fired cases have the firing pin indent and nothing else, NO raised edge around the indent whatsoever.
Old January 19, 2007, 07:20 PM   #38
Dreadnought

My Berettas' (plural) cases all have a slight ring around the firing pin indenture, like IM_Lugger describes. I still haven't gone to the range yet so I have no fired brass at the moment.
Mes228 and TK6411, out of curiosity, what serial number range are yours in? Mine starts with an NZG, the lowest I've seen so far started with NZF on the Taurus site. I looked at my slide and the cases appear to have worn the breech uniformly, there don't seem to be high spots on the breech face.
Old January 19, 2007, 10:43 PM   #39
TK6411

Dreadnought, my PT1911 serial begins with an NZJ. I have seen similar case head primer patterns that Dash's pics show before and never paid much attention as they were never ruptured or severely mushroomed as mes228's and ida para's have been described and pictured. My case heads look just like those in Dash's pics. I checked my breech and everything looks smooth and uniform. I have heard from others that the primer melting ring pattern we are observing on my and Dash's PT and your Beretta's is/are coming from a light spring that keeps the firing pin from returning quick enough, the firing pin is keeping extended contact with the primer long enough for it melt around the firing pin then it returns as normal. Some have suggested replacing the weaker spring with a heavier/stronger spring to return the firing pin properly and not extend its contact with the primer during its strike. I have yet to confirm that is indeed the issue as i have never looked into it much. All the same...in my experience it does not appear to be that big of an issue. No primers are rupturing and its not severly mushrooming like mes228's and para ida's. I would welcome any other experienced viewpoints on the subject.

Jim

Last edited by TK6411; January 20, 2007 at 12:44 PM.
Old January 20, 2007, 12:24 PM   #40
Dreadnought

Seems just about every Beretta owner responding to this thread (firing pin mark thread) experiences similar firing pin marks. I wouldn't worry about it, every single case that's come out of my Berettas from the time they were all purchased new came out looking the same way for thousands of rounds.
Old January 20, 2007, 12:52 PM   #41
TK6411

Dreadnought, excellent link to an important discussion. I'm sure many will appreciate the info...I know I do. I wasn't too concerned as I have seen similar patterns on other guns but never one I owned...but with the recent discussion on mes228 and para ida's PT mushrooming primers I thought I would look further into what my PT was doing. I agree it seems normal and isn't an issue. Thanks for the info on the Beretta's.

Jim