The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 2, 2007, 12:37 PM   #1
Thomas_K

How do you take care of your guns?

Hi guys.
I have been lurking here for a while. Recently got my handgun permits (i live in Norway) and bought myself a S&W 686.
Have been looking for tips on how to best take care of my guns and how to polish the stainless steel finish on the 686.
Haven't found that much, so maybe you guys could help me out here? Any "how to" sites out there that I've missed?
Old December 8, 2007, 08:04 AM   #2
Captain Bligh

I am unsure what you mean by polish? Are you talking about routine cleaning or trying to polish out scratches?

For routine cleaning of my stainless revolvers, I:

--Use a solvent to clean the barrel and cylinder holes.
--Use a lead away cloth to clean the front of the cylinder and build up around the forcing cone. Note: do not use a lead away cloth on blued guns; it will remove blueing.
--Once clean, I run a lightly oiled patch through the barrel and holes in the cylinder.
--If I am storing the gun, I run an oiled patch over the external surfaces of the gun. Then I call it done.

A silicone cloth is also useful to wipe down the gun after you pick it up and handle it. It wipes away fingerprints and leaves a protective coating on the gun.

My stainless guns look nice after such handling. I've never had to polish out scratches. Someone else will have to help you with that if that is the problem.

Enjoy your new gun.
Old December 8, 2007, 12:13 PM   #3
Thomas_K

Thank you for taking the time to reply Captain.
I was thinking of small scratches in the finish. The gun is from 1994 and only has a couple of hundred rounds trough it. But it has not been kept in its original box, so the finish is marred in some places. Probably from being moved around on its steel shelf in the gun locker. I've had some replies on PM and decided to try Mothers Mag & Alu polish. Worked wonders. The gun looks like new.
Old December 8, 2007, 02:19 PM   #4
pistolet1

Mother's Mag Polish is great; you might also want to try Flitz Metal Polish and Fiberglass Cleaner. I've used it on not only my stainless guns, but my blued ones as well. It does not harm the bluing; it does not remove the bluing. I even used it on an old Krag Jorgensen that I had reblued, and unfortunately the shop I sent it to gave it a matte finish. Since I figured that I was going to have to have it reblued anyways, I'd try using the Flitz on it just to see what would happen. Well, the Flitz actually polished the finish up to where it looks perfect to the type of bluing that I originally wanted.
Old December 8, 2007, 02:33 PM   #5
Thomas_K

We do not have a supplier of Flitz Metal Polish here in Norway as far as i know. I guess I'll have to get someone to send me some.
What kind of Krag do you have? I'm actually just reading the story of Ole Herman Johannes Krag.
Old December 8, 2007, 03:13 PM   #6
Tom2

Perhaps then you have access to Simichrome polish? Places that may have it are automotive and motorcycle shops. Bikers like that kind of polish to use on the shiny bits of their bikes. Good for very small scratches, and also cleaning the dark spots off around the front of the cylinder. Stainless steel guns can develop rust spots on the surface, but usually only under extraordinary conditions. The silicone impregnated cloths sold at sporting goods stores seem to be sufficient protection on my stainless guns. Or nothing at all on them, for that matter, if kept in a padded case with a zipper on it. Kept in a locked case inside the home where it is not exposed to any elements.