The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old November 24, 2006, 11:37 PM   #1
roy reali

New Gun- First Time

Please, someone tell me you think the same way.

Like most of you, I'll buy a new gun whenever possible. Too often if you ask my wife. The funny think is that I hesitate to shoot the new gun.

I know that firearms are aquired to shoot. I also know with proper care modern weapons will probably out last us. I guess I want the new gun to remain new as long as possible.

Does anyone else go through this with new firearms?
Old November 24, 2006, 11:53 PM   #2
DnPRK

Some people are shooters and some are collectors. I'm a collector and have shot maybe a third of what I own.
Old November 24, 2006, 11:58 PM   #3
rhgunguy

I buy the gun and drive straight to the range. Then again, all my guns are shooters, not collectors.
Old November 25, 2006, 02:07 AM   #4
Taurus_9mm

I like to shoot mine. I figure if the day ever comes where I happen to wear one out, I can always buy a replacement.
Old November 25, 2006, 09:07 AM   #5
ammo.crafter

I have always had either my wife, son or daughter fire the first shot of any new weapon I purchased. I have no idea why I do this, but it's become sort of a tradition over the last 35 years.
Old November 25, 2006, 10:08 AM   #6
kenneth owens

shoot it

if its a collectors item dont,if its not head for the range
Old November 25, 2006, 12:30 PM   #7
hksigwalther

Quote:
I know that firearms are aquired to shoot. I also know with proper care modern weapons will probably out last us. I guess I want the new gun to remain new as long as possible.

Does anyone else go through this with new firearms?
That's why whenever I get the opportunity, I buy two of the guns I like the most. One to keep pristine, the other to shoot with. Unfortunately, some of the guns I get are higher end and not always financially prudent to buy a second sample. In those cases, for me, I shoot them. I'm a shooter first, collector second. As I get older, I tend to think about the guns I initially got for collecting and figured I would regret not shooting them when I die.
Old November 25, 2006, 02:20 PM   #8
rem33

I wanna shoot em. Bought a CZ 542 and had to wait a for scope mounts in the mail, made for a long two weeks as the order got mesed up. I have bought ammo so could stop on the way home and shoot just purchased guns. When we had ammo at home.