The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old June 29, 2005, 09:45 PM   #26
progunner1957

Why do I carry "that thing?"

As others have already noted, (1.) concealed means concealed - no one else should ever know that you are carrying; (2.) when it comes down to brass tacks, it really is on one else's business, and (3.) you should not ever feel "forced" into explaining your decision to carry to anyone.

That having been said, after giving this issue a bit of thought, here is my list of reasons as to Why I carry:

1: It is a matter of principle.
2: Because the Founders of this nation fought, killed, bled and died so that
"We The People" could keep and bear arms.
3: Because we are at war with terrorists who may well kill us in our own
streets; because I will be ready for that possibility.
4: Because free men can carry firearms.
5: My commitment to my nation and my fellow citizens demand it.
6: My commitment to my wife and family demand it.
7: My commitment to freedom demands it.
8: Beause I refuse to be a victim of violent crime.
9: Because it is my right just as is my right to speak freely and to read
whatever books I choose.
10: Because I refuse to "submit, conform and obey" the whim of irrational
control freak social engineers, bureaucrats and socilaist politicians.
11: Because it is a proven fact that concealed carry by lawful citizens
reduces crime.
12: Because I will not stand by and be helpless as my fellow man or woman
is brutalized by a group street thugs.

I could go on, but this is a good start.
Old June 30, 2005, 12:37 AM   #27
TX_RGR

Why ask why?

I agree with many here that there is no need to initiate this conversation. It's not like you're coming out or something. Secondly, if they don't know that you are (because it's concealed), no need to explain then either. I do agree with one poster who mentioned no carrying in a relative's home. I would second that, just out of respect, unless you happen to know for sure they don't mind.
Old June 30, 2005, 03:21 AM   #28
Porkchops

My follow-up comments, and another QUESTION

I agree that your "concealed" weapon should stay that way -- I'm not planning on making an announcement at Christmas dinner or anything like that.

Just wondering how you'd go about it if someone noticed -- and I'm guessing many of you, who meant to stay concealed, were noticed due to printing, etc.

Some really good thoughts in these posts, as always. Thanks, and keep 'em coming!

Here's a tack-on question for anyone reading this thread:

How many of your family or friends have you "converted" to a more favorable view of guns, to the extent that they actually bought one, or carry now??

The reason I ask is that recently my friend went off about how he doesn't like guns ever since he almost shot his friend (as a kid) when his BB gun went off unexpectedly.

Personally, I think that's really silly! He didn't know that I own a gun, and that I was waiting for my CCL at the time, and I didn't bother to tell him.

But, I want to get him to the range with me now, so he can have a good experience, and see that guns are fun, practical, and necessary.

Thanks for the comments!
Old June 30, 2005, 11:34 AM   #29
Garand Illusion

I don't seek out chances to discuss it (well, I do, but on the general concept and not about me personally carrying) but it comes up. i.e. the wife and I are taking a weekend road trip in a couple of days with another couple. I've checked packing.org, and it looks like my Co permit is allowed in all states and none have too difficult of rules to understand.

But ... we'll also be going to some government "National Monuments" and I KNOW from years of contracting with the Federal Government that you never want to give them a chance to find the least little thing wrong with you. And Federal Cops are more stringent and nit picking than any city police force out there.

Because of the national monuments, I'm going to have to transfer my piece to a locked case a few times. Now the couple we're going are fine with gun ownership (I go shooting with him) but think that people who concealed carry are paranoid. They know I carry but shake their head on it and roll their eyes up.

So ... I'm trying to decide if I want to tell them ahead of time I'm taking the piece or just take it since they know I carry and it shouldn't be that big of a surprise.

In terms of converting people ... I have argued people into corners who were 100% "Sarah-Brady-anti-gun-no matter-what" where they had to admit that some gun ownership was good. Which at least gets them to thinking until they get back with their other anti-gun friends and it becomes an anti-gun love fest and "Don't you hate those rednecks who love their guns more than their children?" (I would like to SHOOT anybody who says this to me -- but I won't, of course)

There are a lot of good arguments above (especially mine).
Old June 30, 2005, 11:51 AM   #30
bclark1

my family gets weird on me. my dad grew up in a foul neighborhood, his uncle was the only guy he ever knew who carried and the reason for that was he was on the mob's bad side for not letting them get in on his beer distribution business, which resulted in things he owned blowing up regularly. my mom was an ER nurse who saw firsthand the damage gunshots caused and thus is a little focused on the negative side. they're not libs, they're not against me owning guns, they're just uncomfortable with guns themselves, and think when i get out of the state and carry it means i'm expecting trouble or something.

the analogy i make, then, is to ask them why they have airbags, or seatbelts for that matter, in their car. are they expecting to get in an accident? do you plan on crashing? then why pay for them? because you want to be prepared in the event of the unforeseen, however small the chance. they don't quite buy it but it's probably the most clear-cut argument i can make.
Old July 1, 2005, 09:02 AM   #31
big daddy 9mm

I would never tell anybody..

unless they noticed my gun. and I would ask them to tell no one. less people know/less problems. I know my dad will love it when I start to ccw.
Old July 1, 2005, 12:45 PM   #32
Jesse_Cravens

I Dont tell anyone...

But anybody that knows me, knows that I porbably am carrying. If your friends Dont like it, get some pro-gun friends.
Nobody in my family minds except for my sister-in-law. She asks" why do you need a gun?","why would you need to kill someone?". "blah...blah..blah?"
she is at a state(read liberal) college.
I tell her I have the god given right to defend myself. I wont kill anybody that I dont have to. Just like homeowners insurance.. I hope to god I never need it, but it's there if I do.

american handgunner's John Conner had an article devoted to just this topic in the may/june edition.
Old July 1, 2005, 01:52 PM   #33
TX_RGR

Word to the streets?

I dunno. It depends on where you stand politically, really. Some may argue (myself included), that if you are not currently satisfied with the laws as they pertain to (fill in the blank) than you have a civic (if not moral) duty to influence as many as you can until the laws do change. It may seem like I am coming at this from a weird angle, but my rationale is that if everyone was allowed to open carry without "permission," then predjudices created by the sexually immature would be dissolved, and such discussions would be unnecessary.

TX
Old July 1, 2005, 02:17 PM   #34
Peter M. Eick

I am from a big family and no one else in the family or even my wifes family even owns a gun. They are not anti-gun in front of me, but I do have a few concerned family members.

My simple comment is I want to protect my family and I shoot a lot. It is my hobby, its legal and I see no reason why they should be bothered by it.

They know I normally will have a gun with me, near me or on me, even at home or out mowing the lawn. I am licensed, it is legal and so whats the issue.

I don't think I will ever convince them, but live and let live. Is that not the practical definition of our rights in the country?
Old July 1, 2005, 02:20 PM   #35
racinstylez

Good question as I have same dilemma

I am 21yrs old and know about firearm safety. I am very safe when it comes to my firearms. If my niece comes and visits, which she does often. I trigger lock my guns, lock them in thier case and lock the closet door (deadbolt). I have yet to tell my family that I have guns in the house and as soon as I get my CHL, I plan to carry on a daily basis. I dont know what to do though. My mom and dad have no problems with guns. Hell, my dad even bought me my first .22LR when I was 12. I just dont know what to tell my aunt and uncle. As my aunt is very nervous about everything and is over protective about everything. I think I will just keep it a secret.
Old July 1, 2005, 10:25 PM   #36
MeekAndMild

I just tell them to open their ears and listen to Condi Rice.
Old July 2, 2005, 12:12 AM   #37
sm

Concealed means concealed.
One can pick friends - one does not get to choose family.

I have CCW for y-e-a-r-s, even before my state started having pieces of permission paper one had to purchase.

My family walked away from me, I let them. Mom is the only one that knows for sure - I keep tabs on her. I have worked with her about awareness and security for here and house.

For example I bought the gun, paid for the CCW training ,and license for a brother, he never sent in the paperdrill, has only fired the gun once after shooting the quals for CCW. He does not really know, might suspect...

Now on the rare rare occaisons I see any family , Concealed is concealed. I saw a neice for the first time in a long time - , staying at "grandmas". We played and spent time together...even answered her questions why her daddy does not like me..." I do things and believe in matters he does not" - she accepted that. Never ever suspected me CCW-ing the whole time around her though.

I made a decision a long long time ago in a business I was in - To stay safe, my survival meant " less is more".

Three may keep a secret is two of them are dead - Richard Saunders

I could not trust my blabbermouth family to stay quiet about some aspects of my life they new about. I damn sure was not going to volunteer anything.

What happens is folks don' t " mean to" - someone overhears them and eventually this falls on illegal ears. Like the lady that told her Sunday School class of elderly folks she kept cash in the cereal boxes in the cupboard. Once day she arrives home to find the cupboard doors open, cereal boxes on the floor , cereal on the table and floor and no money.

I walked away from family, friends, business folks...that exhibited Liberal behaviors, anti-gun , anti- hunting sentiment, Pro gun control, Gun Registration , Pro micro chip ID implants and whatever else...

What guns??
Old July 2, 2005, 12:00 PM   #38
bulbboy

Great postings by everyone! I have had some "problems" in this area over the years, too. But have received some great advice from reading all of your posts! Thanks
Old July 2, 2005, 12:11 PM   #39
big daddy 9mm

mmm......

smart people learn from their mistakes/ wise people learn from other peoples mistakes
Old July 2, 2005, 08:21 PM   #40
sm

Quote:
Here's a tack-on question for anyone reading this thread:
How many of your family or friends have you "converted" to a more favorable view of guns, to the extent that they actually bought one, or carry now??
Family:
Safe to say Zero. I may have a "sibling" that may keep a HD shotgun handy, don't know, don't care. If he does as I suspect it "may" have come from advice of a LEO friend of mine.

I told my family flat out You end up shot - don't come running to me. You end up dead, I damn sure am not gonna dress up, nod head, smile and say nice words at a damn funeral- I have better things to do. Get my neice/ nephew injured or killed, I'm gonna be real pissed.

Friends:
1) See above under Family.

2) I have some folks I consider friends because we share the same views, perspectives, objectives in regard to Firearms and responsibilties.

3) Folks I assisted with teaching, or folks that sincerely asked me to assist them or family...Maybe a skeet shooter wanting to know about handguns and CCW. Classmate in college wanting to learn

Now there was that one anti I refused to walk to her car after a Live Theatre performance. I reminded her and the one's in their party they "argued" against me about gun control, CCW, RKBA...

Told them to use 911 on the cell phone and while waiting to already have figured out who was gonna submit and spread'em to be raped first.

Just my luck they pleaded with Theatre security to walk them to their car. They showed up on campus on Monday...

The one I spoke to at the Theatre approached me...

" That cell phone is not very comforting, so would a rude bastard like you teach a girl about guns?"

She has a CCW now. Does not associate with the submitters and cell phoner's....
Old July 2, 2005, 09:12 PM   #41
tshadow6

As a rule, my weapon is concealed,so no one knows if I have it or not. I never carry my weapon into a friend or relative's house, that's out of respect. In my own house, or my own vehicle, I carry concealed. My wife used to ride me about it, until a double homicide occured in broad daylight. now she actually feels safer knowing I CCW. Just don't flash it or be a hero. Your first job is to protect your family, get away and call the police.
Old July 2, 2005, 09:22 PM   #42
tshadow6

If you think explaining CCW to the anti's is hard, try telling them you get ready for hurricane season by buying shotgun ammo. You should see thelooks I get when I mention "Looters". Seriously, don't explain anything. Agree to disagree and leave it at that.
Old July 3, 2005, 05:14 PM   #43
jarhed

Needs not wants.

Guns are like fire extinguishers,parachutes and life vests- you may never need one, you can't tell when you will need one, but when you do need one it will be RIGHT NOW AND REAL BAD. Tell them to read the paper and ask,"What if..."
Old July 3, 2005, 09:52 PM   #44
stevelyn

I don't feel the need to explain anything to family or friends except where the door is.

East Moose. Wear Wolf.
Old July 4, 2005, 06:45 AM   #45
Bulldozer

Why I carry?

If someone or a group of someones is intent on doing me or mine harm, then we've got a social event in the making. I just want to be polite and be sure that my targeted invitations are properly delivered.
Old July 4, 2005, 07:14 AM   #46
clt46910

I never tell anyone I am carrying. Like has been said before, concealed is concealed. If someone should notice and ask, I tell them "The same reason I carry a first aid kit."
Old July 5, 2005, 01:43 PM   #47

Quote:
How do you explain this to your family?
I don't need to explain or justify carrying to anyone, family or not. I'ts my decision to carry not their's. The only one that knows for sure is my wife as she sees me dressing everyday.
Concealed means concealed.
Old July 5, 2005, 04:20 PM   #48
Porkchops

I agree, but disagree with the general attitude here

I agree, but disagree, with the many replies stating: "I don't need to explain anything to anybody."

That's great and all. But, if someone whom you care to keep a good relationship with (e.g., sister, brother, parent, good friend, coworker) notices a gun on your hip, and they say, "Hey, what the heck are you carrying that thing around for??!" "Why would you bring that around my kids," etc., do you seriously recommend just saying, "None of your business. I don't have to explain anything to you!"

Yeah right.

That doesn't work if you don't want to strain the relationship, IMO. Carrying isn't a "no biggie" to most people. Most people will think it's really strange -- trust me, I was there a couple months ago. Now, I don't think it's so weird, and I'd be perfectly fine if I ran into a friend or family member who was packing. But, for most people who don't independently take an interest in buying their own gun and perhaps carrying, it takes some explanation.

I just don't buy the "tough-guy," "back-off," "none-of-your-dang-business" stance. That just makes people think you're hiding things, and that you can't be trusted, or that you're going to extremes.
Old July 5, 2005, 04:29 PM   #49
Garand Illusion

Nicely put, porkhcops.

Since I don't want to blow off all my friends and family (especially family -- friends can be replaced and come in and out of your life, but family should be forever) I choose to take a less militaristic stance.
Old July 5, 2005, 05:11 PM   #50
Porkchops

Thanks Grand Illusion - with that said, I didn't mean to ignore the many posts that had some very logical expanations that the "average" non-gun carrying person could understand and respect.

The part that I agree with is that concealed weapons are concealed, and thus other people aren't supposed to know about it. But, in the event that they do notice, which could very easily happen from what I understand, it's nice to have some reasonable explanations to help them from thinking you're a militaristic, untrustworthy nut.